Winter Batteries

1st winter and I am storing my boat outside in Michigan and was wondering if I should leave the batteries (4) in or take them out?  If I take them out how do I close the engine hatch after?

Comments

• reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm in Ct and I take mine out store in the basement and put them on a charger once a month. If you take a pair of jumper cables and touch the post in the battery switch box the hatch will go down. Then in the spring reverse the post(+  -) hatch will go up.
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Best is to put them inside on trickle charge, but I know of many who just disconnect the batteries and leave them in the boat. Probably will need to replace the batteries sooner though.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• SpyderwebSpyderweb Member Posts: 879 ✭✭✭
    Bought a 2007 Bayliner 285 new and had it winterized by dealer, shrink wrapped and left outside.  I was concerned about leaving batteries in boat, stored in northern NY.  Dealer said that's how they prep all boats, not a problem.  I got 9 years of service out of those batteries.  I now no longer worry about storing batteries in boat.
  • Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I leave them in with the negatives disconnected. I disconnect in late October and then reconnect in early feb, from there I charge most weekends while working on the boat.
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Lake_BumLake_Bum Member Posts: 918 ✭✭✭✭
    I give mine a full charge, turn off the perko switch and leave em in the boat all winter.  Never had an issue with any of my boats doing it that way. 
    2000 Captiva 232 
  • WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've been pulling mine, a good excuse to clean them up, grease the posts and give them a load test before installing in the spring. Although I guess I could do all that at the boat too.
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270
  • StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    @Chancedevlin Hey neighbor.  Where do you keep your boat?

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• IanIan Member Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭✭
    I leave mine in all connected but switched off when stored. Prior boat mechanic disconnected, either way there seemed to be no ill effects. All 3 are dated 2012 and the house battery has just got open circuit so given they are 6 years old now, new ones coming in spring.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We store indoors and the owner requires us to sign off that we will either disconnect the batteries ourself or we will pay them to do it. Really should disconnect if you are indoors, too many gas fumes and spark risks to just turn off the switch 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I pull them and leave them on trickle charge in the basement. My cousin leaves them in and plugs the boat in to charge them a couple of times through the winter.
    2008 330EC
  • skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
    @Liberty44140 - I agree with the indoors comment.  I pull the batteries and keep them in my garage ( detached ) up on a work bench off the concrete and charge them once a month or so.
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • F1100F1100 Member Posts: 292 ✭✭✭
    100% take them out, keep them inside. Top the cells up with distilled water, and trickle charge each one every 2 months using a modern charger. You will get years or service out of them.
    1993 300 FIESTA VEE TWIN 5.7L ALPHA GEN 2
  • MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lake_Bum said:
    I give mine a full charge, turn off the perko switch and leave em in the boat all winter.  Never had an issue with any of my boats doing it that way. 

You should disconnect them though ... ground can definitely leak past that switch.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• ChancedevlinChancedevlin Member Posts: 13
    Stodge said:
    I keep it at MacRay. U?
  • ChancedevlinChancedevlin Member Posts: 13
    Thanks for all the advice guys
  • StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    Stodge said:
    I keep it at MacRay. U?
    I live on a canal now, but used to keep her at MacRay.  I still winter store there.

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,054 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I leave mine in, but the place I store at also allows you to plug into their power all winter, so I plug in and leave the charger on all winter long.. :) 
    Should also check your insurance policy. Unless you're in a run all year area and are insured as such, your policy will have a "lay up period" clause and some of these require batteries to be disconnected and/or removed completely during lay up period. Otherwise, no pay if it burns or a battery leaks. 
    J3ff said:
    I leave mine in, but the place I store at also allows you to plug into their power all winter, so I plug in and leave the charger on all winter long.. :) 
    Is the storage area staffed or checked regularly? As per my post above.....
  • J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,054 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Willhound said:
    J3ff said:
    Is the storage area staffed or checked regularly? As per my post above.....
    Yeah power is on from 8am to 5pm... and employees are present all winter long, it's a family owned shop