Options

Anybody replaced a windshield lately?

Comments

• Options
    StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    I saw a demonstration where a guy took an ax to a tempered glass door.  It chipped but did not break.  Then he took the pointy end and struck it in a corner and the whole thing fell away.  I've seen the spring loaded punches that can take out a car window in one shot if applied the say way.  I think it's a long shot (no pun intended) but a well placed bb or pellet in the corner of the windshield might have the same effect.

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    At this point what difference does it make??? LOL
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,553 mod
    edited March 2019
    Yeah, at this point it's just a matter of curiosity.  And conversation, since I know people here at the marina will be asking me about it for the next couple months.
    Post edited by LaRea on
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭✭✭
    LaRea said:
    Yeah, at this point it's just a matter of curiosity.  And conversation, since I know people here will be asking me about it for the next couple months.
    I’m definitely pretty curious and tuned in :smiley:
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When I climb up and down from the fore deck on my 270 I have a habit of putting weight on the windshield as a hand grip. I noticed a bit of movement last fall. Bottom mounting screws probably loosened. Will fix ASAP and rethink the process.
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    Latest news ... $3k plus installation, and that's the good news.  The bad news is 6 to 10 weeks lead time.  Looks like I'll be spending $100 on a big piece of plastic for a temporary window.  
  • Options
    At least you found it
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good news that you can have it replaced. Can you have insurance cover it?
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,060 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Holy cow, sorry to hear man. 
  • Options
    Yeah, for that kind of money, I'll ask for help from the insurance policy.  
  • Options
    StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    Ouch.  Hurts the wallet and the season.  

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Glassguy54 - I believe you are 100% on the money!
  • Options
    craigswardmtbcraigswardmtb Member Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭
    Not fun or funny. Sorry to hear. I noticed a bit of separation of the port side windshi4ld from the upper frame and gasket on my 360.  For the past season I get leakage when it rains. Not sure what caused it but I have been worrying about how the windshield is more exposed and less supported. Perhaps new windshield gaskets will fix it (if I can source them somewhere) or simply some caulk. 
    Your story, LaRea, has me worried though so I'll be addressing it sooner than later. 
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great job @LaRea !! Perfect temporary fix!
    2008 330EC
  • Options
  • Options
    Well you are making progress, have a solution on the way and $ impact got a lot lower. Sucks that it happened but hey, your dealing with it, will be all good. 

• Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    All is see is a foot print. Now if they throw something at it it will just bounce off. Good work.
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    GMSLITHOGMSLITHO Member Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭✭
    Maybe the boat shifted a little during the winter and caused the frame to twist and crack the glass 
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,560 mod
    Great temp fix!  Allows you to continue using the boat, which is good.  6-10 weeks means you should have it for the heavy boating time in the summer, so not terrible.  Glad to hear you got it figured out.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    Right - there's a lot of boating between now and June!  In the meantime, I can do normal cruise speeds.  Just have to remember not to lean on that window.  
  • Options
    Dude_HimselfDude_Himself Member Posts: 596 ✭✭✭
    Amazing work. I used to use heat and lexan to make intricate parts (before 3d printing) - it's not easy to get such professional results!
  • Options
    Glassguy54Glassguy54 Member Posts: 588 ✭✭✭
    So, is the $3,00.00 amount for an entire new windshield assembly, or just for a single replacement lite? If the former, I can see that, if the latter, no way!
  • Options
    It's $2700 for just the one panel, pre-installed in a new frame, with tax and shipping to Virginia.  I'm actually not surprised at that price to build an out-of-production part.  
  • Options
    After 10 weeks, the part is here.  Somehow, the cost to ship this baby was over $900.  I'll try to get it installed in the next few weeks.  In the meantime, my temporary Lexan panel has performed admirably.  You can barely tell it's homemade, and it has withstood high speeds and heavy weather.  Seems a shame to send it to the landfill.  

• Options
    I would love to hear Led Zep black dog on that stereo!!
  • Options
    Hah ... they're Linns and they sound spectacular!
  • Options
    Nice! Glad it’s working out 

• Options
    cherikcherik Member Posts: 1
    @LaRea any chance you still have that Lexan window and want to sell it? The wind caught my pass thru window last weekend and the protection bumper shattered our port side window. I can’t even get to the serial number of the window without completely removing the glass and I don’t want to do that until I have something to cover it with. Such a nightmare! 
  • Options
    Heck yes!  I will send you a PM.