Complete stereo rebuild on a Rinker 370

Comments

• 69fastback69fastback Member Posts: 948 ✭✭✭
    Very nice work!
  • LaReaLaRea Member Posts: 7,503 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks great! I did something similar this spring on my 342.  
    McG, which amps do you have?  That looks like a lot of horsepower.
    Stodge said:
    I have a similar transmitter.  I wrote a program to mix music and station IDs.  The station IDs computer generated voices (Lucy is a female British voice) to tell people they are listening to Lake St. Clair Pirate Radio.  

Curious if you left the little antenna on the back of the transmitter or mounted something external.  A 1/4 wave ground plane antenna for 100MHz would be around 30 inches long.  It would increase your range quite a bit.
    Stodge, that's hilarious!  And clever.  Streaming from a laptop?

I think a 1/4-wave antenna is what Dream's buddy Pau Hana has in his hardtop.  My little whip antenna probably reaches across 6-7 boats in either direction, but I know his goes a lot farther.  
  • McGarnicleMcGarnicle Member Posts: 242 ✭✭✭
    LaRea said:
    Looks great! I did something similar this spring on my 342.  
    McG, which amps do you have?  That looks like a lot of horsepower.
    I'm running the following:

HTX6 - Cockpit speakers
    HTX2- Cabin speakers
    HTX1 - 2x JL subs 

Love the FM transmitter idea, would have been useful this year at the sandbar. Was trying to find an app or something to do pretty much this. 
    edited November 2018
    FM transmitter is the way to go.  Without it, you get one boat blasting 100 dB so everybody can hear, but nobody can stand to be within 50 feet of that boat.  And then you get another boat at the other end of the raftup with their own tunes in a stereo war.  

With an FM transmitter, everybody picks their own volume level, and it sounds amazing in the water behind the boats.  
  • Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,552 mod
    I agree with LaRea!  I love it when you get that one or two boats that cranks their one stereo up and no matter how good the system, it still sounds like it could be better.  That's when it's fun to just take the entire raft-up a few levels up in sound! :)  Nothing better than hearing 24 (mostly Rinkers) all playing the same music!

I'll add that I've actually had Pau Hana tail me close enough that I can hear his music on my stereo while underway on plane.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Had never thought about this before, but yeah, perfect for a raft up/concert on the water. As always @LaRea awesome work!
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270
    @McGarnicle - I have amp envy.  That's gotta be just monstrous sound!  I love the HTX2 just for the cabin.  I blew up my budget before getting to that point, so it'll have to wait for Version 2.0.
    Dream_Inn said:
    I'll add that I've actually had Pau Hana tail me close enough that I can hear his music on my stereo while underway on plane.
    I can envision the grin spread across your faces ... four faces if you include the Admirals!
    LaRea said:
    @McGarnicle - I have amp envy.  That's gotta be just monstrous sound!  I love the HTX2 just for the cabin.  I blew up my budget before getting to that point, so it'll have to wait for Version 2.0.
    I'm extremely happy with the sound quality. When purchasing everything I sat in the store for about an hour listening to probably 40 different songs comparing Hertz Marine and JL Marine, ended up going with the Hertz for speakers and JL for subs and they scream with all the power they're getting. 
    A winter project of mine is to run the USB port up to the helm, I have a bluetooth head unit but the range is terrible so instead of using my iPad with the head unit and then control spotify with my phone. I'll be able to just plug my phone directly in at the helm and have a place to charge it. I also ordered an FM transmitter to install as well, seriously such a great idea and which I had this year. 
  • StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    I have USB power sockets top side, one at the helm and one on the starboard side below the cup holders.  They are just for charging.  My stereo down below has USB input but didn't see value in bringing it up to the helm.  I normally put an iPod on that.

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

Another side benefit of relocating the stereo ... I get solid Bluetooth reception anywhere on the boat, because the receiver is in the cockpit instead of way up in the bow.
  • rkinrossrkinross Member Posts: 176 ✭✭
    @LaRea That is a great job on your entertainment upgrade.  The documentation you provided is also a big help to show others how to do this and explain all of the components in detail.

Too bad about the boat the got crushed by the tree in the wind storm. 

I like the fold down TV rack but I missed the details on the brand name and where to purchase.  I read through the post by Dream_Inn but could not find the details.  He did mention he had a problem finding it and thought at one point it was discontinued.     
    The TV mount is a Mount-It! MI-4222, $39 on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Mount-MI-4222-Ceiling-Kitchen-Retractable/dp/B00CO753UY

It has a latching mechanism ... you push up on the TV to unlock it, then the TV folds down.  When finished, you fold it up and it latches.
    Yep, that is the mount.  It is the same mount DirtyThirty used, so I figured it worked out well on his boat.  I put it thru some test this summer and it only came down once during cruising (it was a rough day and I learned that for a rough enough "bounce", it could float the TV up to unlatch.  A few easy ways to handle that so it didn't happen again though.

• rkinrossrkinross Member Posts: 176 ✭✭
    @LaRea @Dream_Inn ; Thanks for the reply on the TV mount.  I tried finding it on Amazon prior to my post but could not locate it after viewing 4 pages - they have so many.
  • F1100F1100 Member Posts: 292 ✭✭✭
    I redid the stereo as well. Went with a new bluetooth headunit, using it to power the 2x 5 1/4 in the birth. And a 6 channel pyle amp to power 4x 5 1/4 , and 2x 10" subs in the upper deck area. All new wiring and distribution bars. Next season adding a 2nd 6 channel amp with another 4 mids and 2 more 10" on the rear swim deck area.
    1993 300 FIESTA VEE TWIN 5.7L ALPHA GEN 2
  • F1100F1100 Member Posts: 292 ✭✭✭

1993 300 FIESTA VEE TWIN 5.7L ALPHA GEN 2
  • onislandtimeonislandtime Member Posts: 309 ✭✭✭
    I have the same clarion remote and after 2 seasons the volume knob started to malfunction (turn it and the volume did nothing and the push feature wouldn't select). I'm sure its the environment it was in (helm). The main controller is in the salon so I have had no problems at all. I have the clarion hand held remote that I control the volume most of the time. I think you may have seen me with it in the water floating around last summer at the raft up.
    Interesting ... the MW4 remote is advertised as watertight (well, IP66). 

I love the idea of a waterproof handheld remote, but it looks like it won't work with my CMS4.
  • onislandtimeonislandtime Member Posts: 309 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    @LaRea there is a clarion remote "app" also that might be helpful. His a link to this guy. he reviews alot of Clarion stuff. Lessco Electronics

This one is the actual review for the app

I almost always play music from the phone, so I already have wireless control ... except it isn't waterproof.   
    Follow-up to this thread ... I finally finished the cabinet work from where I took out the stereo.  

I made a custom insert using panels reclaimed from the original build.  It has an angled back panel that fits around the HVAC duct, making maximum use of space for storage.  

To cover the holes and unfinished edges, I bought a role of vinyl woodgrain tape.  It's not a perfect match, but it's good enough that a casual observer would never notice it.

This is the tape -- pattern number MW4662:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Wood-Grain-Vinyl-Tape-choose-your-Pattern-and-Size/222590701905

Partially installed ... on the top, I added an L-shaped back panel (the darker color) so we can use the top as another shelf. 

Installed with most of the holes covered by the tape.  Can you see the tape?

The finished product.  The only thing left to do is mount the stereo volume control, which is just sitting loose on the shelf.

• aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,776 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks great @LaRea , the tape is hardly noticeable.
    2008 330EC
    Looks really good @LaRea !  I've got two small holes from many years ago when I replaced my galley TV.  You've inspired me to buy some of that tape to try it out!

@Dream_Inn - I'll send you a couple strips.  
    edited April 2019
    LaRea said:
    @Dream_Inn - I'll send you a couple strips.  

or stop by after the boat show :)  (you know, there is a CAPS game at 3pm on Sat, maybe meet there again? :) )

• StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    WOW looks great @LaRea

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

Thanks you guys.

A note on the vinyl tape:  although it sticks really well to the laminate, it will not stick to raw wood at all.  I tried using it to trim the exposed plywood edges ... no luck.  However, I saved one of the edge strips from the original material, and was able to re-use it.