2005 342 Fire suppression issue

johnepjohnep Member Posts: 114 ✭✭
My blower was not working the and of last season.  Someone told me to check the fire extinguisher for the engine compartment.  I recently did and find it is in the red.  How do I refill or service the system?  The system is a FE241 and I have been unable to get much info off google searches.  Boating season starts in a few months and I want to be ready. Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You have to replace the whole extinguisher
  • StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    The older systems used halon and it's next to impossible to find folks that still work with it.  Having working blowers is pretty important.  You may want to look for the wires that go to the fire suppression system.  The idea was for it to interrupt a connection (I think the ground) for the blowers if it was discharged.  If you can turn on a wire diagram it may help you bypass the fire suppression system and let your blowers work.

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Call these guys: https://www.fireboy-xintex.com/

They are the go-to for marine fire suppression. 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • zaverin1zaverin1 Member Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    Or find a local fire safety supply company 
  • johnepjohnep Member Posts: 114 ✭✭
    The replacement is pretty much a plug and play.  The new replacement for my system is a cg20200227-b and a HFC227 agent. Not cheap but I think money well spent.  I am sure there will be others looking for the replacement when theirs needs to be upgraded.
    And if it is wired correctly and its empty your blowers wont work!!!
    It is not just a matter of refilling with the new agent, the bottle itself gets upgraded too. 

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow, $500 for a replacement canister? Worth it for safety but man thats not cheap for an extinguisher. 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

Only gig in town Lib
    Well: USCG approved, clean agent, marine certified, thermal release point (~180F), integrated blower cut out switch and sized for the engine compartment volume.  

Oh yes: an on water inspection and no FE in the engine room they can seize/impound your vessel on the spot. 

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • TonyG13TonyG13 Member Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭✭

Oh yes: an on water inspection and no FE in the engine room they can seize/impound your vessel on the spot. 
    From what I remember when I was a USCGAux Vessel Inspector - and it could have changed - a fixed system is not "required" and you're not going to be impounded for not having one as long as you have the minimum number of portable extinguishers aboard to substitute for an inoperable fixed system.

In the case of a 342, (2) B-l or (1) B-II extinguishers are required for a vessel with no fixed system, or (1) B-I extinguisher is required for a vessel with a working fixed system.

To put it simply, @johnep can use more portable extinguishers to stand-in for his fixed system until he gets it back to working order.

Source: https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/46/part-25/subpart-25.30
    When I was inspected by the uscg aux they would not consider my fireboy because it had not been certified within the last 12 months, so my two new kiddie fire extinguishers got me through inspection 

Opening the engine hatch with a fire is a really bad idea. Just saying.

Those small portable extinguishers most people carry would be no match for an engine room fire. Better than nothing. Maybe.  Then the second disaster: the dry chemical stuff everywhere...corrosive, damages electrical equipment, ruins engines.  lol. 

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Check out the link below, very reasonable and easy to install.
    https://www.blazecutusa.com/
    2008 330EC
    Get diesels. No worries
  • TonyG13TonyG13 Member Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭✭
    aero3113 said:
    Check out the link below, very reasonable and easy to install.
    https://www.blazecutusa.com/
    Very interesting concept. I wonder if they've thought about getting USCG certification.
    It costs me $5 to get my Fireboy extinguisher weighed and certified yearly. 

Not sure on the USCG requirements, but an auto release marine system activates at 175F. 

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,552 mod
    Opening the engine hatch with a fire is a really bad idea. Just saying.

Those small portable extinguishers most people carry would be no match for an engine room fire. Better than nothing. Maybe.  Then the second disaster: the dry chemical stuff everywhere...corrosive, damages electrical equipment, ruins engines.  lol. 

So, I completely agree with the first statement.  As most know, I went thru this.  I refused to let the coast guard open my engine hatch (knowing my 'halon' went off - it's not halon, but it's the new stuff).  Anyway, the automatic extinguisher saved my boat, period.  
    Now, as far as the chemical stuff everywhere and damaging things.  That is very far from the truth.  After experiencing it first hand, I really couldn't tell it went off.  Very small trace of it.  Kind of like a little bit of pollen on things (actually less than that).  Here are two pictures within an hour after first lifting the engine hatch.  No real trace of chemical stuff.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

That is impressive Dream. BD - how do we get ours certified for $5? What do you do every year to accomplish this? Thanks. 

@Dream_Inn I forget what caused that, can you refresh my memory?
    2008 330EC
    aero3113 said:
    @Dream_Inn I forget what caused that, can you refresh my memory?

There was an issue with the high pressure fuel line (under high pressure - when I took off onto plane - gas came out into bilge).  Luckily it was basically a small vapor explosion.  Small is relative (was enough to blow the hatch off the hydraulics), but the boat was still floating :) .

WoW! Glad no one was hurt!!
    2008 330EC
  • Glassguy54Glassguy54 Member Posts: 588 ✭✭✭
    @aero3113, what I took from Blazecut is to NEVER buy a Volkswagon bus! Seems they are prone to engine fires, LOL. 
    aero3113 said:
    WoW! Glad no one was hurt!!
    Completely agree.  Luckily nobody was sitting in the aft seat, or they'd been thrown overboard.  Things learned, always wear a PFD, things happen very quickly no matter how experienced you are.  Also, on topic, little things like the automatic extinguisher is very important and can save more than just your boat.

The residue I spoke of is from a dry chemical type, not the halon type. 

PC BYC, Holland, MI
    The residue I spoke of is from a dry chemical type, not the halon type. 

I would think any automatic ones in the engine room would be the much cleaner halon replacement that does not leave residue.  As far as the handheld ones, I'd assume they'd leave a residue.

It costs me $5 to get my Fireboy extinguisher weighed and certified yearly. 

Not sure on the USCG requirements, but an auto release marine system activates at 175F. 
    Where can we go for recertification? Easy to remove the bottle?

Unplug the wires. Loosen the clamp that holds it in place. Easy!

You just need to find a fire extinguisher service place that deals with halon. Just needs to be weighed to be certified. 

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • mattiemattie Member Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭✭
    Another awesome reason for forums!

Adding to my spring recommission list.....

got a a tear in my eye, getting emotional.
    246BR, 276BR, H310BR current
    Thanks will look in to this