kohler question

randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
A friend having trouble, will not stay running unless he holds start button down. Let off the button it dies. And is not making electric. First of the season started and ran fine.  But it was haunting, first time the gen did that. Power was fluctuating.  
Boat Name : 

Comments

• rmfridayrmfriday Member Posts: 103 ✭✭
    if it only will run while the start button is held down it is most likely a safety shutdown. Check the coolant sensor and the oil pressure sender
  • Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Randy it’s an electrical issue if it quits when he releases start. Start by checking the fuses and replacing brushes 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• trip_ntrip_n Member Posts: 747 ✭✭✭
    on the 5e = some have a digital panel = shows code
    my safety shutdown was cooling/impeller
  • randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks guys I'll pass it on to him
    Boat Name : 

• Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sensors as noted. Verify water pump is working: impeller AND the coupling that connects the pump shaft. New spark plugs too. 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
    Thanks BD
    Boat Name : 

• PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,882 ✭✭✭✭
    Hunting/surging is usually a sign of a fuel issue. Obviously check fault codes first if equipped.  Im assuming shes a cdi powered ignition system so she needs a 12v hot at both start and in the run position in order to provide spark.  The hunting and surging may be related, maybe not.  If she is carbureted she probably has the fuel cut off soleoid mounted on the carb too. Anti after fire solenird if you want to be technical about it.  It also needs 12v to power the electromagnet to open the switch to allow fuel into the nozzel. 

I don't specialize in kohler marine gensets and the only efi kohlers i see are the 26hp v twins. All air cooled.  Hope this helps.  
    Thanks Rick
    Boat Name : 

• DanD2DanD2 Member Posts: 847 ✭✭✭
    Two years ago mine was hunting/surging early in the season....changed plugs, same, changed carb, same, changed choke, same, changed fuel filter, same, changed fuel pump, same, change anti diesel, same.....I was stumped as there was nothing else to change. After a couple weekends I was starting to get low on fuel so I filled up, we were out on the hook later that weekend, started the genny and problem quickly went away.
    Last year, early in the spring, I was having the same problem. It stayed like that until I put fresh fuel in it.....same exact thing happened this year.
    Moral of the story, these **** things are very finicky. First things first.....make sure you have good fuel.
    No longer a boat owner.....previous boat - 2005 Rinker Fiesta Vee 342
    Thanks Dan
    Boat Name : 

Basically it is a liquid cooled version of a 18hp Kawasaki lawnmower engine. ALL small engines will have issues if using ethanol blend gasoline.

Good advice from Alswagg: run that genny. I run mine at least an hour a week since I got it running fine.  Been great since then. 

PC BYC, Holland, MI
    Believe this is not a hunting/surging issue, right? It quits when he releases the start button...

• PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,882 ✭✭✭✭
    Ethanol or non ethanol fuel if you dont add stabilizer your shelf life of that gasoline is an average 30 days.  Fuel injectors have some 45 or more psi hitting them, a carb needle cant handle more than maybe 5 psi pressure so it's going to be way more sensitive to fuel system issues.

Running her weekly or even monthly is a terrific idea as stated by the other poster is great premaintance.  Hospitals/assisted living and other facilities have back up generators that are test run weekly. In the event of an outage people could literally die.  

Pri-G is the best priced stabilizer ive seen.  Any lawn mower shop that handles the Rotary line can order it for you for about 40 bucks.  This treats 250 gallons of fuel.  Msrp may vary by location.  For about 12 bucks more any rotary dealer can drop ship it directly to your location(lower 48)

I dont fill up a gas jug or fuel up a boat at home/my shop without it in the fuel tank first.  I have a kipor 3500 invetert generator (honda eu3500 knock off) that i start every few months, averaging 2 to 3 times a year . I store her with a topped off fuel tank to prevent water condensation and with stabilizer. I do not take the time to shop for non ethanol fuel.  I do this in all my chainsaws as well.  I can rebuild a small engine carb in my sleep, id recommend for those who cant to shop for that non ethanol fuel and starting it more frequently.  My yamaha 9.9 of 1985 vintage sits chained to the front of my sailboat trailer from October til May each year without running.  Knock on wood i have not had to rebuild her carb since i bought her 5 years ago.  The stabilizer is doing its job.  6 gallons of fuel in the saiboat can last a year.
    Pri-G is great stuff. 

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • McGarnicleMcGarnicle Member Posts: 242 ✭✭✭
    So after some troubleshooting I’m having the same exact issue, as soon as I let off the button it dies. At first glance my mechanic ruled out sensors and fuses, now thinks it might be the volt regulator I think he said but needs to confirm if it’s even making electricity or not. 

Fun times, ran fine for the first 20min of the season 😂
    That is the same description my friend described. He has not got back to the boat yet to find the problem.
    Boat Name : 

FYI: partsfortechs.com offers advice too. 

PC BYC, Holland, MI
    Yep, it’s the electrical side. If it’s not fuses then it could be brushes, voltage regulator or control board. When it happened to me on my 310 it was the rotor and stator to the tune of $5k because water got in it. But yours could be the simple and much cheaper issues above. 

edited June 2019
    if you call partsfortechs they will tell you for sure

@Liberty44140 or anyone that would know, did you have to pull the port motor to get the generator out? Still having issues with mine and just curious for worse case scenario how would I get it out. 

Also, does anyone know if the brushes are easily accessible while in the engine bay? 

I reached out to parts for tech and they sent me a troubleshooting guide to test some readings from the connector to the regulator which should help narrow down a root cause but till then trying to figure out level of effort for anything it could be. 
    @McGarnicle what year is your 342? if its 04 or newer I can pretty much guarantee that you can remove the generator without removing the engine as you have more room in front of the engines. May have to remove heat exchanger and lube monitor.  If its older then you have much less room to remove it. I had a 2001 310 which had very little room in front of the engines but still my tech could remove the genny without removing the engine. He had to remove the heat exchanger, alternator and something else though to get the genny out.

Brushes can be done while the genny is in the boat. I've not done them myself but believe thats pretty straight forward.

@Liberty44140 I have an 04 so hoping I will have enough room if its needed 
    Oh yea, then you have room, will just need to remove some things from the engine.