Boat won't start

13»

Comments

• boatman37boatman37 Member Posts: 797 ✭✭✭
    Thanks Paul. I got that issue figured out. It was a short in the trailer wire going to the lockout solenoid.

Greg, thanks for the offer. I'll see if I can find one. I stopped at Boat World in Bridgewater this morning and they didn't have any. They had the whole cap and it did have the o-ring but it was $55....lol. I only need the $1 o-ring...lol. I'll let you know if I need to meet up with you. Thanks again!

Here is my carb. But I'm crossing my fingers that we have it sorted out now. I'm thinking that first we dumped/changed it Thursday it was about 50% water I think water got in the intake and didn't get burned off so after we put the new separator on it died at lower RPM because there was a higher ratio of fuel to water at higher RPM but at lower RPM the fuel to water ratio dropped so it ran rough. Sound feasible? lol. Hope so. Step-son swears there were water droplets on the floor of the intake today but they were gone after we had it running for awhile.

• aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,775 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just for good measure, clean the screen at the end of the fuel line that goes into the carb.
    2008 330EC
    aero3113 said:
    Just for good measure, clean the screen at the end of the fuel line that goes into the carb.

Already did that. Even removed it completely to try it...lol
  • Dude_HimselfDude_Himself Member Posts: 596 ✭✭✭
    Did you dump the water out of the carb bowl?
    not yet. was going to order a carb kit tonight and rebuild it. i went down and started it up today. Started right up and idled fine and revved fine. might run this tank down as low as i comfortably can then siphon the rest out until its dry. at that point i'll rebuild the carb and put a new separator on it
  • reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Startron will eat up the water fill up and run it. Always remember the more you run it the better it runs. I'm on an island drinking so it sound good
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
    lol. i put a bottle of star tron in with every tank and i still pulled at least 12 gallons of water out of it...lol. some of that 12 gallons might have been separated ethanol but either way been using star tron since we got our first boat in 2015
    boatman37 said:
    lol. i put a bottle of star tron in with every tank and i still pulled at least 12 gallons of water out of it...lol. some of that 12 gallons might have been separated ethanol but either way been using star tron since we got our first boat in 2015
    Ok should i stop drinking.

• Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭✭✭
    X5 that you should have an o ring 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

i ordered 3 o-rings yesterday. hopefully get them in a few days but i doubt that much water got in through the fuel cap, if any. my thought was the issue was ethanol separation because the boat sat for 3 years. still pretty sure thats what the issue is cause i find it hard to believe 12 gallons of water got into the tank while it was shrink wrapped for 3 years. either way i need to get that bad stuff out...lol. hoping to siphon another 5 or 10 gallons out mid week then hopefully burn up 5-10 gallons more this weekend. figuring i have about 35 gallons left in there. once i get it down to about 15 gallons i plan to siphon it empty down to maybe a tablespoon left in it then put about 30 gallons in and run it. there is a gas station not far from here that sells non-ethanol fuel. our marina has a few tanks we can borrow so might take the 30 gallon one over there and fill it. with how this weather has been 30 gallons might last us the rest of the year...lol. son is getting married the end of october so we will probably be pulling ours the end of september so i have time to get it ready for winter.

love this forum though. lots of helpful people here and i don't even own a Rinker! thanks!
  • randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Your going to have that Crown in top shape ready to sell.
    Boat Name : 

lol. no plans to sell. really like this boat just a few odds and ends to fix. you can see in the pic in my other thread about oil pressure gauge that i have good pressure when the gauge is working right. that pic was at idle warmed up and i think it was about 50 psi
  • Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I believe @Stodge took a lot of water in due to the missing o rings, he may chime in but it was gallons if I recall correctly 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    randy56 said:
    There is a 2008 260EC for sale in Pittsburgh right now on Craigslist. 
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    @Liberty44140 we had 2 gallons of water in the port side gas tank that time.

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

Stodge said:
    @Liberty44140 we had 2 gallons of water in the port side gas tank that time.

because of the missing o-ring? wow.
    randy56 said:
    There is a 2008 260EC for sale in Pittsburgh right now on Craigslist. 
    lol. no new boat here for awhile. it was enough of a pain trying to find this one. i thought somebody said boat shopping was fun? lol
  • Dude_HimselfDude_Himself Member Posts: 596 ✭✭✭
    Many of these boats have the fuel cap in a position that makes it easy to fuel, but also makes it suseptible to water incursion with that o-ring missing. Here's mine: the blue is the path of water when it rains (boat lists slightly to starboard - that's where all the cockpit drains are located).

When I had fuel issues I pulled the fill hose and replaced (12 years old) and in that process it rained - without the o-ring I had easily a gallon of water collect under the fill in the hull during a relatively benign summer storm. More than you'd expect. 

Wow! a gallon? didn't think that much would get in there. Mine is slightly higher than yours and a little less angle but still on the side. very possible its getting in there. i ordered the o-rings Saturday. got a tracking number today but no info on it yet
    So went down tonight and siphoned another 10 gallons out. Looked good. No water in it and I pulled it from the bottom of the tank. There is about 17 or so gallons left in there. Pretty sure whats left is good fuel but I'd rather be sure and get all of it out and start fresh. Also we are supposed to get a pretty big storm tomorrow and the new o-ring won't be here till tomorrow for my fuel cap so just in case any fuel gets in tomorrow in the storm then that will all be pulled out probably Friday. Then I'll go get 30 gallons of fresh fuel and put another new separator on. Probably overkill here but I want to be sure I get it fixed. Wasn't fun having to be towed in
  • aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,775 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You should tape off the fuel cap to prevent any rain getting in until you get the o-ring.
    2008 330EC
    I'm going to siphon it completely empty anyway. But the o-ring came in the mail today. Just came back from putting it on. Should be good now.
    edited July 2019
    So got it all siphoned out Friday night and put 24 gallons of 87 octane ethanol free fuel and a bottle of Sea Foam. Started up and idled at the dock. Started it today and warmed it up then headed out. Ran good through the no wake, got up on plane, then about 1/4 to 1/2 mile later it started to sputter. I backed it down and turned around. It was running about 2500 RPM but sputtering. It did take off once then start sputtering again. I tried going WOT and it bogged worse. It seemed to get slightly better as I pulled the throttle back. I pulled it back to idle and it stayed running so tried to go into my slip. Went the 100 or so yards of no wake to our marina then as I pulled up to our slip it stalled. Luckily I had gotten close enough a dock neighbor was able to grab us and get us in.

Pulled the filter/separator and emptied out the contents and it was fine. Put it back on and still no luck. Ended up pulling the carb off and bringing it home. Plan to order a kit tonight and rebuild it.

The only other things I can think of is vapor lock, the hose from the tank to the filter is getting sucked closed, or the electric fuel pump going. I really don't think it i any of those as it runs fine for awhile then acts up. In all of my years of racing I have only ever seen vapor lock a couple of times so doubt it is that. The fuel hose would probably be a constant issue and fuel pump not real sure if it might be good for awhile then act up?

Engine ID is 0w383495

Here is a link to the carb style I have > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23LcQGTG-ck
    Help!!!! lol