The price of working on a boat

cls10105cls10105 Member Posts: 352 ✭✭
Hey guys i wanted to ask how much i should expect to pay for the following work on the engines. Keep in mind i am supplying all the parts. Changing oil and filters, plugs, wires, rotors and caps, iac, impeller and fuel water separator for both motors.
cruising on 6. tw0s

Comments

• raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,455 admin
    Around my area (Boston) you could pay anywhere from $130 to about $150 per hour for labor. My guess is you have about 3 hours work there so I would assume your about $500 in labor. Just a guess......
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shops around here charge a little north of $100 per hour, but sometimes they charge piece work, per item. by the book, agree with Ray about $500. 
    Boat Name : 

• cls10105cls10105 Member Posts: 352 ✭✭
    @raybo3 is that per motor or total for both
    cruising on 6. tw0s
    @randy56 is that per motor or total for both
    cruising on 6. tw0s
  • Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,552 mod
    edited August 2019
    I would say that the 3 hrs is per motor.  Changing just impeller, I've seen places charge an hour or more per motor.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Around $1500
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• bry1429bry1429 Member Posts: 371 ✭✭✭
    You should sell 50/50 split the pot raffles ticket for this,  I am guessing $450 per engine. I changed my Impellers this past spring and I am still sore and walking crooked.. Give me 2 squares on this pool💵.
    @cls10105 : at least this way it's a win win for all of us 😁
  • DanD2DanD2 Member Posts: 847 ✭✭✭
    Not sure what you have for a boat but on my 2005 342, all those tasks are pretty easy and can be done in less than 4 hrs total.
    No longer a boat owner.....previous boat - 2005 Rinker Fiesta Vee 342
  • TonyG13TonyG13 Member Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭✭
    Here are a few prices straight from our yacht yard's (Chicago) latest pricelist:

Change Impeller - Main Engine - $250 per engine + parts
    Oil & Filter Change - Gas Engine - $125 per engine + parts
    Change Fuel Filter(s) - Main Engine - $65 per engine + parts
    Tune Up - Main Engine - $250 per engine + parts

Tune Up includes: Replace spark plugs (and wires if needed), cap and rotor, clean flame arrestor, check IAC (Idle Air Control) filter, replace if dirty.

As @shawnmjr said, most can be done yourself if you're mechanically inclined, but I'm with @bry1429 where I'm getting too old to crawl around in spaces I can no longer fit. So when I'm lazy and can afford it I pay them and watch. :-)

• PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,882 ✭✭✭✭
    I specialize in the wrong engines!!! If Someone towed a boat into my shop id charge between 1100 and 1250 for all that.  

If the customer purchases his own parts (im not a mercury or volvo dealer)  id have no issues installing customer provided parts,  some shops have issues installing outsourced parts. But, anyway that would save you money on dealer mark up parts.

I do marine work on the side because i enjoy it.  When i need automatic transmission work or machine work done i source someone who does it on the side or is retired. It usually saves me time and money and it's usually someone who does it because they enjoy it.  Being that im in the power equipment service industry my networking is pretty good with other shops.   

Obviously find references first, make sure they are not a shade tree parts changer.  

• Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭✭
    All of those tasks can easily be done yourself just do a little research. I assume you will do this at the end of your boating season so you'll have plenty of time to work on it. The first task I ever did on my boat was replace the impeller and it was about an hour to do. You will need a vacuum pump for the oil, I purchased the Topsider linked below. 

With all the money you save you can keep the beer fridge stocked for months!!!

Air Power America 5060TS Topsider Multi-Purpose Fluid Removing System https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001445IZ8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_0x-zDbEBPJGPB
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • davidbrooksdavidbrooks Member Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭✭
    So i will tell you.  Everything everyone says here is really right on point.  I got my feet wet doing an impeller replacement on my last boat.  One engine.  I found a guy on Craigslist.... yeah i know what could go wrong.  Well he did what i asked but messed everything up.  So i took it back.  Even after the second time it wouldn't prime.  So like everyone here says i did the research and then just took it on myself.  Never looked back.  There are some things i wont do.  That is really the key.  Know when to accept that you need someone with more experience.  Ask around locally.  I found a guy that is good, not great.  Onry old fart but he does good work and charges a fair price.  That is all i can ask for.
    It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere!
  • reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm with raybo3 500 bucks any more do it yourself.  Some things to take note on dizzy cap can not be over tightened you will break it. Impeller 2 hoses on back must take note to be returned back to correct place, and make sure no scoring if it is the brass housing.oh and the more you push the throttles forward the faster the boat goes.
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
    Thanks for all the great feedback everyone. You guys are awesome!
    cruising on 6. tw0s