VHF surround

aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭✭✭
I ordered a new VHF surround because my old one was very faded. The one I received is a slightly darker color and is the only color available from Great Lakes Skipper. Should I live with it or get it wrapped a different solid color? Right now I think I can live with it but not sure if it will bother me down the road. What do you guys think??

2008 330EC

Comments

• TonyG13TonyG13 Member Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭✭
    I can see what you mean. Stuff like that drives me crazy also. What about leaving it out for a full season to see if it'll fade back and then match closer to the old stuff after some time in the sun? I do like the look overall.
  • aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was thinking that also @TonyG13 . Maybe not cover it when I cover the helm over the summer.
    2008 330EC
    Tony all of my panels are new, not faded.
    2008 330EC
    Here’s a pic I took with a flash the other night. Without the radio in it’s more noticeable.

2008 330EC
  • TonyG13TonyG13 Member Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭✭
    My bad. I thought you replaced just the VHF and the others were original. So yeah, definitely a difference. If you've got the time, I'd still try the sun fade and see what happens. You can always wrap it later. 
  • LaReaLaRea Member Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Definitely better than a faded one!  Nobody will notice except you.  Keep it, and wait a season.  If it bugs you, try to find a replacement.  
    Yes, @LaRea , this is what the faded surround looked like 🤢.

2008 330EC
  • Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,552 mod
    Looks a heck of a lot better than the faded!  I agree with LaRea.  Go with it for a season, I think it'll be fine.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,882 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Id worry less about the vhf surround color (looks nice btw) and more about the rust stains in the bottom of that cup holder😜

I dont think youll ever get matching color without replacing it all.  Im cheap and would have just vinyl wrapped it all at the same time.  I dont think anyone other than an ocd owner/admiral or a picky potential buyer would ever notice.  
  • Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ever try to return anything to Great Lakes Skipper? Not the most customer friendly bunch. I'd keep it. Maybe leave it in front of a window all winter and see if it fades to match! :) 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

I wrote to them and told them the issue. They told me that what I received was the only color available and I can return it if needed, I didn’t have any negative feedback.
    2008 330EC
    @PickleRick , some of the cup holders are on my list to clean. I guess if these are the issues I’m worried about now, I’m doing pretty good!
    2008 330EC
    They used to charge high restocking fee's...maybe they gave up on that...

• SpyderwebSpyderweb Member Posts: 879 ✭✭✭
    I agree with above comments.  Unless you showed someone, only you would notice.  Probably still worth it to leave in sun over winter and see if it will fade a touch.  

On another note, I'm surprised at the location of your radio.  My main unit is behind a wall, and all that shows is the mic.  I wonder if PO replaced yours?

@Spyderweb , I’m pretty sure it’s the original location. I’ve seen some other 07 and 08 330’s online with it in the same location. 
    2008 330EC
  • PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,882 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    I run the service department of a dealership. Some of my distributors charge me out the rear for returns on items.  Ive had customers point out items on the screen and swear that isnt what they wanted when it comes in.  Most oem parts have low profit margins anyway and many times ridiculous minimum orders to get free freight.  Id give zero issues to a customer who ordered something that doesn't fit or match because of a factory upgrade but if a customer orders a specific low demand/hard resell item (especially without proper model/id info)  I'm either going to charge a high restock fee or refuse the return as many times that special item will gather dust for years before finally being thrown away.  A shop or store can only stay open if they can make money.  The eBay and Amazon no hassle returns kill the independent delalers.  My Briggs and Stratton distributor will drop ship oem parts for Amazon vendors shipped for less than or equal to my cost and I'm even a Biggs and Stratton mst which is supposed to help me with warranty and parts.  Sadly it only helps the mega online stores or big box stores.

Imagine going to a restaurant, ordering a meal then telling them "i changed my mind and i don't want this anymore" then have one out of every 10 customers do the same.    
    @Spyderweb , I have the external speaker and high water alarm on my starboard side wall.
    2008 330EC
    @Spyderweb cool looking helm, I like the wheel and the small corion elbow rest. Very nice. 

• mattiemattie Member Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭✭
    Maybe vinyl wrap all the surrounds? Carbon Fiber or? Seems that is the current new boat style.
    246BR, 276BR, H310BR current
    I was just watching a video of a 2018 Rinker 320  and was surprised to see the VHF forward of the binnacle.

2008 330EC