Cockpit Refrigerator Door Swing

aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭✭✭
The cockpit refrigerator door on my 330 was set to swing open from the left. Does it make more sense to have it open from the right to have easier access from the cockpit area? It seems kinda awkward to keep it like this unless it’s meant to be easy access from the swim platform?
2008 330EC

Comments

• Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Assuming your fridge is on the stbd side, yes I agree it should swing open to stbd. My fridge and ice maker are both stbd side and they both swing open to stbd. Should be easy for you to change by yanking it out.
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Liberty44140 , my cockpit fridge is on the port side, see picture. The transom door is also on the port side.

2008 330EC
  • Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I changed the swing on mine a few years ago. It made a huge difference to me. The hinge is preset from Dometic on the right side. When you replace the door, you can change the swing. 
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
    Yea, seems like it will be more convenient to swap it.
    2008 330EC
  • YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am planning to switch mine as well.
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,552 mod
    Only thing I'll note:  if you're door happens to come open while you are under way, the way you currently have it will still keep it somewhat closed.  If you change it, and it opens up while under way, it could rip off.  I've seen this happen many years ago on an older 310.  They swapped the galley fridge door around and it came open in some rougher weather and ripped it off.  Just a thought....

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

Dream_Inn said:
    Only thing I'll note:  if you're door happens to come open while you are under way, the way you currently have it will still keep it somewhat closed.  If you change it, and it opens up while under way, it could rip off.  I've seen this happen many years ago on an older 310.  They swapped the galley fridge door around and it came open in some rougher weather and ripped it off.  Just a thought....
    I see what your saying but the cockpit door won’t have as much weight on it like the galley fridge. Will have to make sure it’s closed and latched before going underway. 
    2008 330EC
  • Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would change it. I think the way you have it is standard from the appliance factory, my brand new cockpit fridge came with the door opening to stbd which is what I wanted with the bar on the stbd side. Really not a big deal either way and I agree with dream on them opening under way. We had the old fridge open once under way as the latch was useless but the beers rolling everywhere trumped the door hitting anything lol! I fixed the latch after that and as long as it grabbed no issues, of course brand new fridge latch is super strong and no concern
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

I recommend that if you have the same layout as my 330, change the swing of your door. It was nice to be able to open it from the cockpit and have full access instead of going around an open door.
    2008 330EC
  • YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭✭✭
    aero3113 said:
    I recommend that if you have the same layout as my 330, change the swing of your door. It was nice to be able to open it from the cockpit and have full access instead of going around an open door.
    Agreed! I love it. I am going to swap the galley fridge door too. 
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay