Options

Weird password reset?

WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭✭✭
Just tried to get on the forum and I'd been signed out of my account. When I tried to sign in a message popped up saying I had to reset my password likely because an Admin had changed my account settings. But when I requested the password reset link it let me use the exact same password I had before.

Anyone else seen this?
"Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)

Comments

• Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,799 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, I got that also. I didn’t try using my original password, I used a different one. 
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    TonyG13TonyG13 Member Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭✭
    Same here. I was able to use my same (old) password.
  • Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yup me too. Entered old one.
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Same here...
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,558 mod
    Yeah, same here too.  Really strange.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    IanIan Member Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭✭
    Same.  This should be looked into as random requests to reset passwords like this are typically ignored as phishing.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,238 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Same but I used a new one...
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin
    Same thing happened to me. I did receive a couple of emails from Vanilla yesterday about connection problems and that they would be resolved in a few minutes but nothing about password changes. I have sent an email to Steve from Rinker and I will follow up with Vanilla. 
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options

I received this email 

2008 330EC
  • Options
    Yeah. That's exactly what I received after I had to but the reset password button. At least I know now it wasn't  just me.
  • Options
    These email are those all should be wary of as common phishing methods. I only used the site request to change as it appeared legit but not guaranteed.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

• Options
    I only received the email after I clicked on the reset password button on the site after it wouldn't accept my sign in. I would never click a reset link on an unsolicited email. 
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    It happened to everyone. I have an email into Vanilla. If I hear anything I will keep everyone posted. I also reached out to Steve from Rinker and gave him a heads up also.
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    rkinrossrkinross Member Posts: 176 ✭✭
    Internet security is annoying.  Why have this 'change' when nothing changes.  Credit card companies - BOA and Capital One -  are even more paranoid.  Security questions and two step log ins are enough to make me want to quit using their products.  
  • Options
    earl1z19earl1z19 Member Posts: 333 ✭✭✭
    What gets me is that Equifax can have a breach of information on  everyone they have ever had contact with and have no legal ramification. (These are the assholes who can be responsible for you getting a loan when you need it or not) Then  go on to try to sell you id monitoring to see if the information they let get hacked is used to  secure a line of credit elsewhere. That's not right. They should be out of business period. As a result of something like that we all get to change our passwords and use the above 2 step verification.  I agree that if it gets to complicated its just not worth the effort. Anyway, I
     changed my password just like the rest of us and enjoy reading the posts on this site.
  • Options
    skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
    2 step sign on is absolutely necessary if you are doing anything of importance on the internet.  I'm suspect when it's not offered as an option.  Between work and personal I have  150 unique passwords to various systems and websites.  All kept in a password manager.

Internet security is also a part of my profession so I respect it's importance.
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    DannyDDannyD Member Posts: 9
    I need help here!!!!! This is another username that I've never used. I'm normally DanD2, I get the same message when I try to log in, I do the reset thing and submit my email but I never get the link to update my password. Can any of you MODs help?
  • Options
    @DannyD sent you a PM
  • Options
    I still need help.....Again, this is not my normal ID. Here is the initial screen that I see

I then get to this screen

I put in my password and get this screen

If I click on the Click here or Forgot, it brings me to a screen that asks for an email address. I type in my email and then click on request new password and I never recieve anything.
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I also had to do the reset. I was due to change mine.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    It would be great if I ACTUALLY RECEIVED the email to reset
  • Options
     Junk/spam folder?

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

• Options
    icoultha said:
     Junk/spam folder
    First place I checked......nothing
  • Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Same here used same password. no big deal.
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    boatman37boatman37 Member Posts: 798 ✭✭✭
    I was suspect of it. I am a System Security Engineer so these types of things raise red flags for me. But I used a simple password I don't use for anything important just to be safe. I advocate frequent password changes but when they are random like this one it raises flags.
  • Options
    Can one of you MODs help me get my DanD2 password reset? I don't get the email when I request it.
  • Options
    @DannyD did you get the PM I sent you? I will try to see what I can do from my end a little later today. 
  • Options
    @DannyD I want you to try and log on from DanD2 and hit the change password. See if that works and let me know. There maybe one more thing I can try. 
  • Options
    raybo3 said:
    @DannyD I want you to try and log on from DanD2 and hit the change password. See if that works and let me know. There maybe one more thing I can try. 
    As stated in my reply to your PM and shown above, I don't see a change password, only a forgot and "click here" to reset. Both of those then pop up a window for me to input my email. I do that but never receive the email.......yes, I've checked my junk/spam folder
  • Options
    @DannyD , is it possible that your email address has a typo in it and the message can't be delivered?
    2008 330EC