Options

Long time lurker.

RiverRat232RiverRat232 Member Posts: 596 ✭✭✭
Hello everyone. As the title says I am a long time lurker and first time poster. My name is Dave and I have a 2000 Captiva 232 cuddy.  I usually keep the boat on the Ohio river at a marina near Cincinnati but I have plans to take it to Lake Erie around Marblehead and would like to explore Norris Lake in Tennessee. I have been around boats for a while but this is my first time owning one. 

Comments

• Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,557 mod
    There are quite a few up on dearie that can give you some tips. I believe @JoeStang has about that size up there.  Welcome to the forum...& happy Thanksgiving!

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,885 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome to boating.  Keep a grand on you at all times!  Also a tow boats membership. 

Pics of boat for proof of ownership!!!
  • Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome. Some great folks and lots of good info here.
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome to the forum. Trailer boating is a great way to explore places. Happy Turkey day.
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome! We dock in Marblehead, let me know if any questions 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin
    Welcome to the RBOC
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Welcome for sure!

Couple of tips for surviving the forum:

Don't bring up diesel motors.

Correction, just the one tip!

JK, great group and lots of help from some that know their stuff plus input from the rest of us.

Happy Thanksgiving!
  • Options
    GMSLITHOGMSLITHO Member Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    Lake_BumLake_Bum Member Posts: 928 ✭✭✭✭
    Welcome to the forum!  You made a wise choice for your first boat, it's a GREAT one! 
    2000 Captiva 232 
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome, you will gain so much knowledge from this forum.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
  • Options
    Dream_Inn said:
    There are quite a few up on dearie that can give you some tips. I believe @JoeStang has about that size up there.  Welcome to the forum...& happy Thanksgiving!

Thanks. I plan on tapping into the knowledge base here when it comes time to plan the Erie trip.
  • Options
    Lake_Bum said:
    Welcome to the forum!  You made a wise choice for your first boat, it's a GREAT one! 
    Thanks. I noticed your boat a while back. It appears to be just like mine only my cover is black and I don't have that awesome swim platform. 
  • Options
    GMSLITHO said:
    Congrats 
    Thanks
  • Options
    rasbury said:
    Welcome for sure!

Couple of tips for surviving the forum:

Don't bring up diesel motors.

Correction, just the one tip!

JK, great group and lots of help from some that know their stuff plus input from the rest of us.

Happy Thanksgiving!
    Thank you. The first question I have is there another way to reply to a reply comment besides using the "quote" button? Sometimes even that doesn't work for me.
  • Options
    Here are a few pics for those that are interested.
  • Options
    Nice pics @RiverRat232.
    To reply without quoting all you do is scroll to the bottom of the thread and enter text in the comment box and hit Post Comment. If you reference a members handle with the @ sign before it they will receive a notification that you referenced them. Once you hit the @ sign and start typing the name a pop up will provide suggested names that you can click in instead of typing the entire name. Less chance of a miss spell that way. No space between @ and name. 
  • Options
    Very clean boat!  You could eat inside that engine hatch.

We dont bring up diesels because of how superior they are to gas motors 😝
  • Options
    @PickleRick
    Thanks. I frequent other boat forums and witnessed all forms of boat snobbery. If you don't have what they have then you are wrong because it's impossible for them to be wrong.
  • Options
    @Willhound. Thanks for your help.
  • Options
    No worries! 
  • Options
    Did your boat come with trim tabs?  If not, that is a very worthy upgrade for your wish list.  I have Lenco's on mine, and use them every single trip.  Our boats are almost identical, right down to the year. 
    2000 Captiva 232 
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    No boat snobs here...mostly a bunch of dudes kicking back and forth ideas on what could be causing running issues on other guys boats.    One or 2 of the guys on here do those repairs professionally so it's a huge help to those of us that do this for fun/to save money/or just keeping our boats on the water.
  • Options
    @Lake_Bum
    No trim tabs. That will probably be one the first upgrades I do. You've had good luck with Lenco? I'll most likely have them installed by a shop. The thought of drilling a hole in the hull scares me.
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Lake_Bum
    No trim tabs. That will probably be one the first upgrades I do. You've had good luck with Lenco? I'll most likely have them installed by a shop. The thought of drilling a hole in the hull scares me.
    Tell me about it! 2 seasons ago before I sold my 242 I drilled a hole for a transducer. It doesn’t feel right when you can see the starter from under the boat!!

2008 330EC
  • Options
    My Lenco's are the basic controls, meaning, no indicator on my dash.  I only have up and down buttons, which have worked perfectly.  
    When I first bought the boat, one of the tabs was froze up, and one good SMACK with a rubber mallet, it has worked great ever since!  I think the former owner never used them, is what I'm guessing.   I bought my boat in 2016, with only 174 hours on it!   Stored indoors it's entire life. 
    2000 Captiva 232 
  • Options
    If it wasnt for the sinking, under boat starter access would rock
  • Options
    halifax212halifax212 Member Posts: 553 ✭✭✭
    @RiverRat232  I bought my 212 from Captain's Cove Marine  Cincinnati. There was a marina on Kellogg across the street.  Is that your Marina?
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    Installing trim tabs is no harder than installing a transducer on your transom. 
    Measure twice, drill once.  

Mount everything to your transom, tabs and cylinders then remove. 

Over drill all the holes, i like to over drill them to 3/8.  Then fill all the holes with thickened epoxy.  Let dry.  Then drill your pilot holes for everything, install with 4200 and should your 4200 ever leak it gets on the epoxy and not the wood in your transom. 

The pita part is the wiring and install inside the engine hatch.  I dont feel an indicator is necessary.  My 235 fv with a 1988 5.7 gets on plane just fine with 3 people and gear for a weekend afloat.  I dont use them to get on plane, i have a fin on my outdrive that works just fine for that.

I use mine to level the ride.  I have a bad port side list unless my water thank is full.  Ill be moving a battery or maybe even adding a 2nd battery to the port side to help correct this.