HELP with changing bearings...with 270FV on the trailer

04FV270riverrat04FV270riverrat Member Posts: 268 ✭✭✭
So on my way home for winter storage about a half mile from the house, I noticed a trailer tire wobbling. I limped it home at 5 mph. I'm going to have to change the bearings...while the boats on the trailer. The trailer is the dual axle Trailmaster. Any tips for this project?

I feel like when I had a blowout on the road, the jack used was under the boat and I think it bent the axle up some, so I need to jack it on the frame or near the tire.

Comments

• Glassguy54Glassguy54 Member Posts: 588 ✭✭✭
    While we had our 246 Captiva, seems like we had lots of issues with our dual axle Heritage trailer. I started carrying a 3 ton hydraulic floor jack 'cause a regular screw jack wouldn't couldn't get the wheels off the ground.
  • PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,882 ✭✭✭✭
    Tips?  Inspect spindle and hub for any damabe/scoring when disassembled.

You need a drift and a mallet for removing bearing races.  Large punch works well too.  I like a brass drift for reinstalling race as to not damage the new one. You can install with ratchet extension or flat punch but risk damaging bearing surface of races. 

A 2x6 on the ground makes hitting much easier for install and removal of races.  I use a chunk of 2x4 or plywood for driving in new seals.  Removal of seals can be done with seal puller or big flat head screw driver.

If one bearing gave the rest need removal and cleaned/repacked.  

Plenty of disposable gloves and grease on  hand.  Lots of old rags and towels.  

Take pics of the brake assembly if removing anyting so you know how it goes back together.  Inspect brake pads/shoes for damage or wear, turn drums or rotots if needed and adjust if necessary.  If not using dot 5 brake fluids flush system yearly or bi yearly.  Dot 3 (and 4 i think)attracts moisture, sitting is worse than running daily in many cases. If electronic scratch that 

I always keep a hydralic jack in the back of the tow rig.  
  • GMSLITHOGMSLITHO Member Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭✭
    Same thing happened to me I bought a 21 ton bottle jack for mine works great 
  • mattiemattie Member Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭✭
    How about drive the good wheel/axle onto one or two 2x10’s to lighten the load on the bad axle. Then use a good floor jack to get the bad tire/hub assembly off.
    246BR, 276BR, H310BR current
    @mattie, I tried that, or a variation of that, at midnight at a truck stop in Missouri. Tried to drive one wheel up over the curb in the parking lot, but no go. It was just after July 4th and in Missouri they still sell fireworks until, I suppose, all inventory is exhausted. When driving over the curb didn't work, I went to one of the guys in a fireworks tent and asked if he had any lumber laying around. To my surprise he said he had a hydraulic jack. It was a crappy jack and when the wheel was just about off the ground, the jack would lose pressure and lower back down. Some other young guy with his young wife and infant child - yes, out at a truck stop at midnight - asked what the problem was, I told him and he said he had a hydraulic jack. I thought, "What the fudge? Does everyone in Missouri drive around with a hydraulic jack in their trunk?!!" His jack worked and I was able to get the wheel off and get the broken off brake caliper out of there and press on the rest of the way home, although without any braking power to the trailer. After that was when I began to always take my 3 ton floor jack with me when we towed the boat anywhere!

• rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep, you have the tips...been there done that,- especially the the rest of them, I'd just replace. I also carry a temp gun(20 bucks HF) to keep an eye out for potential failure. I cary a bottle and floor jack and stands in the truck. A spare bearing would not be a bad idea just to get you home and then a new bearing and race can be installed but I don't...
  • 212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    get four 12 ton jack stands and place in front and behind axles on either side snug to the frame.... then let the air out of the tires. 
    Then you have to have a spare air tank or an air compressor.
  • 212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    .... was tongue in cheek.  i've done it on empty trailers but with a load, uh, it causes a few more issues only the clever can remedy.. or someone with a forklift. 
  • PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,882 ✭✭✭✭
    I have bearing buddies on mine I grease every few months. 

I've thought about drilling/tapping the spindle and adding a grease fitting so i can remove the bearing buddy and grease until fresh grease pushes out the old.  

Im not sure if this weekens the spindle too much.
  • rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Im trying to rember so it's time to grease...mine have the zert on the spindle so it pumps the grease to the back and to the front...
  • Dude_HimselfDude_Himself Member Posts: 596 ✭✭✭
    I have everything to work on mine at home, but I figure with the triple axle trailer: if more than one tire on each side has a failure I'm just calling the wrecker to come and fix it in place or transport it to safety. Trying to jack up 10k on the side of a road can't be done safely in my opinion: that's why I pay for towing on multiple insurance plans.

But when it was a smaller boat: a spare and plastic "ramp/lift" thingy were all it took to get the tire off. I carried a full spare spindle/hub/wheel/tire and a portable impact rachet: I could rebuild a side in 20 minutes.