Anchor Locker/Pulpit repairs

DanWDanW Member Posts: 63 ✭✭
Hello,

I am planning on doing some repairs in the anchor locker in the next few weeks. I have searched this forum and found some good advice and found the video on YouTube showing how to gain access through the v-berth. But I thought I would ask for any tips or tricks before I attempt this.

First, I am getting water in the the midberth bilge after washing the boat. After reading other threads on here, I'm guessing that is the access plate in the anchor locker that needs to be resealed. However, the YouTube video showed the drains in the anchor pulpit not attached to anything while another picture I saw of a different boat showed these attached to hoses, but I couldn't tell where they went. Any insight on what type of repair I'm looking at here? Will I need to drill a drain to the outside of the boat? Did Rinker always intend the anchor locker to drain to the mid-bilge?

Second, my bow roller is loose. I plan on adding a backing plate and re-bedding the bolts. Lastly, because it's practically impossible to reach the attachment for the anchor rode, I plan to add a 10-foot section of chain to connect to my current chain so that I have a way to disconnect the rode without having to tear apart the v-berth again.

Any advice before I tackle this is greatly appreciated. Is there anything else I should change/repair while I'm up there?

Thanks,
Dan

2002 Rinker 342 Fiesta Vee
1998 Regal 2100 LSR

Comments

• IanIan Member Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭✭
    What boat model and year?

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In the video you seen the drains that where connected was added on. Originally the water drains on the rode and there is a drain under the rode on go over board. I did get a little water right in my A/C get return and it was the port window the ride away was stain carpet under the bow bed. And my drain in the anchor locker was clogged with mud from our favorite anchor spot. I sealed both windows cleaned out mud and all summer dry as a bone :) now on to the anchor roller????
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    icoultha said:
    What boat model and year?
    2002. 342.
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In the anchor locker there is a starboard type piece, maybe 10x10. Pull that out and reseal. 

As noted above, there is a drain already for the anchor locker, it might just need to be cleaned out too. The drain is towards the V-berth wall. 

I added drain tubes to mine to direct the water more towards the drain. Beats the water always going on my rode. lol. 

For the anchor pulpit. If it is like mine, the forward mounting screw had wallowed out the hole thru the deck. I used a bronze bushing from ACE hardware to fit the screw, drilled the deck to accept the bushing O.D. and epoxied it in place. On the underside I added AL backing plates and used epoxy paste to build up the area under that forward screw as it is thin. Pic below.  I cut a section of the plywood bulkhead to get up in there. I used some AL flat strips from Lowe’s to reattach it.  

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • DanWDanW Member Posts: 63 ✭✭
    Sorry, forgot to  add the boat in the original post - yes, it's a 2002 342.

OK, you added the drain tubes. I like that idea and will probably do the same. I'm sure you guys are right and the drain is clogged, so I will do a lot of cleaning while I have it apart. And reseal that cover. I saw your pictures in anther thread. Thanks for posting those as it is helping me know what I need to do.

I plan on doing exactly what you did with adding the backing plate for the anchor roller. I will look for those at Lowe's, as you said. Same thing is happening with mine - it's loose and making the hole bigger.

Thanks!

Dan
    1998 Regal 2100 LSR
  • Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I got that AL plate from cut2sizemetals.com. The black epoxy putty from West Marine. 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • DanWDanW Member Posts: 63 ✭✭
    Thanks! I'm going to try to find someone local to make me a backing plate, but that website may be helpful.

Dan

1998 Regal 2100 LSR