Pump out adapter

Does anyone make a screw in pump out adapter for the pump out opening in back of a 240 Rinker. I bought macerator pump and haven't figured out how to plumb it. Every thing is made for RV's. Would something like this work?

Comments

• raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,455 admin
    If you are adding a macerator you will need to cut the discharge through the bottom of the hull. You would have to add a "Y" valve. Its really a big ordeal. You should research it then decide if you want to tackle this job.  
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • bella-vitabella-vita Member Posts: 411 ✭✭✭
    Can’t use it in the Great Lakes. No discharge allowed into waters
    2002 Rinker FV 342
  • Stever00Stever00 Member Posts: 145
    My pump is to pump out tank at my house from opening in back of boat. Not to pump poop out in the lakes. This not a 40 foot ocean yacht.
  • Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,552 mod
    I've seen people use shop vacs to draw it out.  Not sure that is the best way, or neatest, but with correct connections it could work.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• TonyG13TonyG13 Member Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭✭
    @Stever00 - Where do you boat? Just asking, cuz as @bella-vita mentioned there are serious no-discharge areas -- and if law enforcement pulls you over with a working macerator / Y-valve you could get into some trouble. We're just trying to keep you legal.
  • Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You could add a macerator pump at the tank outlet cut into the line up to the outlet on the boat. Hook up hose to outlet and pump to house. We have a similar deal on the RV
  • PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,882 ✭✭✭✭
    Being hes a trailer sailor im betting he wants to either pump out at his home or before leaving the park at the lake.  I park in a camping ground.  Gated entry so no break ins, dumpsters, rv pump out station and deep ramp.  Perfect weekend parking while in boat all weekend. 40 bucks a year gets me unlimited access to any army core ramp or park. I cant camp in a site but i park at the ramp.

YouTube has some macerator diy pump outs where you just plug it in, put the hose in your waste hole and then suck out your tank.  

Ive thought of this as i dont have a holding tank but do have plumbing for attaching a pump out toilet.  Getting in and out of the boat to manually dump a porta potty in the dump out pit sucks. I love my family but i hate their poop.
    edited January 2020
    Smith Lake or Tn River, Gville Lake.  Its type III head. I will trailer this boat. I don't pay marina 200 month to dock boat. Pump out on Smith Lake probably hard to find if any. I know what the laws are. I just like to know how people pump $hit out  without access to pump out facility. Maybe it could be pumped out at rest area with RV hookup some how.  I don't know. That why I ask. I have pump. Like to know how to plumb it to put in my septic system. Like to get what's in out when I bought it whether I ever use it or not. It takes act of Congress just to get MSD sticker in Al. Marine police here don't issue them anymore. They turned it over to people who don't even answer when you call. I'm sure if you near the ocean , Great Lakes and big marinas all this is trivial.

Post edited by raybo3 on
    edited January 2020
    The ones I've seen people use to dump out at home are a 110 macerator.

Wet a rag and wrap it around the small suction end of the macerator then press into the opening for the pump out.  Make sure your discharge hose is where you want it because it's going to suck @10 gallons a min.

Make sure you are using the rv toilet paper so the clumps of toilet paper dont clogg the pick ups in the holding tank.  

Clean off macerator by rinsing with clean water and then store.

With no macerator pump out in the boat the water poop police will never hassle you.

• randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've done a couple of them. I'll see if I can find picture's. raybo3 is correct you need a Y valve. the only difficult part about installing it is the smell. this one is $75. Most states require it to be locked in closed position. see the hole in the tan colored part. that is where lock goes. if not locked when pulled over they can give you a ticket.
    JabscoXylem Waste Y Valve - Lockable
    Boat Name : 

• aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,776 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I removed my waste tank 2 years ago on my 242 during the winter when it was cold out, the smell wasn’t too bad. I can only imagine how bad it would be if it was hot out!
    2008 330EC
    Rinker 240 only has small waste opening in back of boat way above level of holding tank. I just ordered a Perko cap for it cause it was missing.  If that Y valve is necessary why didnt Rinker put one in? Why didnt they make the easier to pump out? I bought a Seaflow pump to try and pump it out. That what I'm trying to use. I do know from experience compressed air in vent will move it out also. I bet with pump and compressed air would force it all out.
  • StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    A "Y" valve is only used for discharging waste overboard.  Since it's forbidden to do that in any fresh water, and only legal many miles off shore it's not a common item.

As for pump out, it's pretty simple.  Most gas dock/pump out stations will have the adapters.  Usually the waste outlet is a 1.5 inch threaded opening.  Their pump will easily empty a waste tank.

Doing a home grown pump out can work the same way.  They sell portable pump out tanks with pumps.  Otherwise you could get a similar pump and plumb it to your home's septic system.  It would work the same way, connect to the waste outlet and pump away.

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

I still wouldn't permanently mount that in the boat.  I'd push the sucking end into the waste pick up fitting and suck it out each time i used it.  How are you going to get a hose to attach to the hull fitting and fed into your waste container?    

If you do mount that in your boat you need that drain hose to attach tightly or you're going to have one nasty squirt gun. 

• StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    I think I see where he's going with the push idea versus the normal pull.  

But you should know that if you are boating in fresh water and you are boarded for a safety check they look for Y valves.  If you have one and it's not locked (pad lock, zip tie, etc.) it can mean a ticket.  

If possible I'd look for a pull option.  Than you avoid the plumbing in the boat.

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

He could have a very literal "poop shoot" lol
    We have gotten so far off the question I ask to start with . I just want to know how someone with a similar boat pumps out their  type III  system holding tank at home. How did you plumb it? I dont want to know what laws and rules are. This boat has already passed an inspection for MSD permit in Al. In the past.  This is a small boat. I'm not going to Lake Superior or the Atlantic Ocean. 
    I'm not cutting hole in bottom of boat or putting in Y Valve or what ever  you ocean people do. If they can pump it out at a marina there should be a way to do it at home.
  • WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭✭✭
    People are just trying to steer you out of trouble. Regardless of where you boat, anywhere inland in North America and you happen to be checked and an unlocked or useable y valve is found, you will be charged. Period.  And you're likely not getting a lot of advice on setting up a home pump out because in 40 years of boating I've never heard of anyone doing it. Not saying it's a bad idea, I get you not wanting to go to a commercial pump out, but you're going to have to McGyver something and it won't be cheap. It's either a y valve with macerator pump in the boat to push it out to where gravity can feed it into your septic or else a high vacuum canister pump costing thousands of dollars. 
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270
  • Dude_HimselfDude_Himself Member Posts: 596 ✭✭✭
    Actually, and I can't find the regs to back this, but I believe from experience the other option is a keyed switch on the macerator with the key not being stored in the switch. The poop won't flow with gravity, but it can't be discharged by accident (the real reason for the y-valve and the reason why my bright orange cable tie is acceptable). But then he loses the ability to vacuum out the head at a dock.

I'd personally either buy a shop vac + 5 gallon bucket ($75 all in) or a 110V macerator and some plumbing (to leave at home). Less work, less expense, less smell, and more time on the water.
    I think a dedicated shop vac is a good idea. Maybe come up with an adapter so the vacuum hose will screw into the waste servicing port so you don’t have to hold it there.
    2008 330EC
    edited January 2020
    Seal the small end of the macerator in your holding tank pick up with a wet rag 
    edited January 2020
    Stever00 said:
     If they can pump it out at a marina there should be a way to do it at home.
    I have told you. Lots of guys on my lake do this. Not many pump outs other than 2 or 3 marinas on each lake.  I included a diagram.

No need to replum your boat.  You can pump any boat, you can pump your boat at the camp ground/home or in the sewer uncle Eddie style. Just kidding about uncle Eddie sewer pump out.. A little post Xmas Christmas vacation humor.
  • reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have used a shop vac years ago it will collapse your holding tank and possibly crack it. To much CFM for the small vent tube. A dieafram(spell check) type pump maybe better. Or maybe let some air in as you vac it will clean out the tank. Maybe some rubber gloves and a face shield from experience.
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
    I have used a shop vac years ago it will collapse your holding tank and possibly crack it. To much CFM for the small vent tube. A dieafram(spell check) type pump maybe better. Or maybe let some air in as you vac it will clean out the tank. Maybe some rubber gloves and a face shield from experience.
    Would a relief valve help with the shop vac?

https://www.dometic.com/en-us/us/products/hygiene-and-
    sanitation/sanitation/accessories/dometic-tanksaver-_-25365

2008 330EC
  • reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes that would
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • TonyG13TonyG13 Member Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭✭
    ...keyed switch on the macerator with the key not being stored in the switch...
    My old Maxum 2400 had a macerator and removal of the blade type fuse also qualified as "inoperable."
  • Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,552 mod
    Ok, first post was mine about shop vac.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

A carpet shampoo cleaner with upholstery attachment would in my opinion be better than a shop vac. It would be less cfm and it deposits the contents in a nice pourable container.  That shop vac is going to be hard to pour without making a mess. 
  • Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Will be one smelly job.