Options

Toaster/air fryer oven in cabinet

PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 2020 in Non-Boating Related
I really dont like microwaves and want a decent size toaster oven to mount in the cabinet under my sink where the refrigerator used to be.  I'm thinking of using 3/8 ply to finish in the space as a cabinet so my electronics also inside the cabinet assembly see little to no heat. Inside the cabinet i will have adhesive aluminum backing directly on the plywood as well as a deflector with approx 1/2 clearance from wood on top/back sides and bottom so all the heat generated must be pushed out the front of the doorless cabinet.  

Do you guys think i should add a 12 volt computer tower fan and thermo resistor to the back of the cabinet to come on when it reaches say 120 degrees it pushes cool air through?

I want toast/fries/English muffins on the boat but don't want a fire hazard.

Please forgive the spaghetti madness, this pic was taken as i was in the process of rewiring the stereo system, adding an amp as well as moving 120v receptacles around the boat instead of all stuck inside this opening.  This had a 12 disc CD changer from the 90s stuck deep inside there as well.   Even with the wiring gone this is an eye sore id like to take care of before laying down new carpet.   I plan on removing the alcohol stove on top and putting a coffee maker in its place.  

Would be nice to finish it so the toaster oven looks like a wall mount oven and a little slide out drawer above it.  I seriously lack storage space on this boat compared to my sanjuan 26

Comments

• Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can't make popcorn in A toaster oven but a good idea with the cabinet. 
  • Options
    skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
    My air fryer pulls 1500 watts...just sayin
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    @skennelly this will be running off shore power only, no inverter.  I have co2/smoke alarms in the cabin and i put a quiet generator on the swim platfrom every night for AC while we sleep as well as when we cook.  We like to cook a lot of crab pots and low country boils on the boat so the generator gets used a lot as we use a pressure cooker.  

I'm a generac dealer, i buy one every year, run a year off the 2 year warranty then sell it as a demo unit to all the tailgaters/campers/hunters around here.

The one i run is 2300 watts.  I run the ac full blast for approx 8 hrs to a tank of fuel, slightly  less than a gallon i believe

Fits nicely on the platfrom and i tie it off on the rear cleat as well as the transom rail before starting.  

How hot does your air fryer get on the outside?

• Options
    Can't make popcorn in A toaster oven but a good idea with the cabinet. 
    Take microwave popcorn. Open contents. put in covered pan on grill, stove top or in oven.  
  • Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    this is the toaster oven I put in a couple years ago did a stainless steel heat shield on the back because the vinyl is close to the back. Have had no problems with heat.
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    Exactly what i wanted @reneechris14

Do you happen do know what make/model you are using?
  • Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wally world $50 I think.  Farberware was the brand works get for toast or nachos or what ever. Not a fan of a microwave toaster oven gets more use.
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
    @PickleRick - I have a Ninja air fryer which wouldn't work well because of its design.  But it doesn't get hot on the outside at all.
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    Im leaning towards and air fryer/toaster oven.    I want to do bagles and/or English muffins as well as cooking fries, pizza, etc on board.  
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Could you put a combo convection oven/microwave unit in the spot where Reneechris has the oven? Or would the heat be a problem? Wasn’t sure if the convection added a lot of heat...
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    @reneechris14 has a galley the size of my entire cabin.  I have a 235 FV. 
  • Options
  • Options
    After about 15 min on 400 my hand was comfortably this far from the outside of the air fryer.  Flashing on all sides as well as top and bottom will be used as the hot hair blows out the back.  It's not so hot it burns your hand but it must go somewhere and while the plywood im using will be uncoated and the flash point below that of burning wood i feel better having all hot air deflected outward into the open cabin.

This appears to be the same model as @reneechris14 has.