Anyone else changing plans for this summer?

JoeStangJoeStang Member Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭✭
I've got travel baseball till July for my stepson (still weird to say that! :o), 6 weddings between June 1st and August 15th, and great lakes water levels have been above record highs every month so far this year (messes with the enjoyment of my dock location).

Its made me decide to keep my boat on the trailer and use it as possible.

I hate it, but figured the marina cost could be better spent on a couple long destination weekends. :|
2013 276 Cuddy ~ 350 MAG / B3

Comments

• rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's one thing about boating...adapt! This virus will hopefully be in the rear view mirror pretty quickly...beyond that, the weather is yet another thing we can't control.
  • Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As of right now, I am still planning on slipping my boat. I just changed Marina’s because the one I was at closed. I am looking at upgrading my truck so I can pull the boat to Lake Erie, or the Chesapeake Bay if the river is high and full of debris. Found 2 different F250 Lariet’s that have Diesel engines in them that are used. Both 2019’s, one with 12k miles and the other with 35k miles. The one with the higher mileage has the options that I want. Just concerned about the mileage. 
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Take advantage of the extreme drop in fuel prices. 
  • GMSLITHOGMSLITHO Member Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭✭
    35 M on a truck or car these days is nothing I think I have over 250M on my truck 
  • randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Cableguy Greg  Rare for a marina to close. Sounds like an opportunity for someone. 
    Boat Name : 

• Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,552 mod
    Not much has change for us.  We actually have planned one more outing with our local Rinker Dealer.  They are also planning on hooking up with us a bit more thru the summer.  Definitely going to take advantage of the lower fuel prices.  We might make our August trip to a 17 day trip instead of 10.  We did that a few years ago and loved being able to go a little further with the extra time.  

I think both of my kids will be working this summer, so that will be a little bit different as well.  The admiral says it just means we can stay on the boat even more!  I like the idea of that!

Looking forward to seeing @Cableguy Greg this summer too!  You need to let us know of your plans or intentions.  We can definitely help guide you to where you may want to go and have places to leave your truck and trailer too.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Continuing to move forward with purchasing the Cruisers 390. Passed survey last week but awaiting the written version to move forward. Have to admit that I have wondered if buying a boat like this is the right move right now but hey if things really take a downturn we can load her up and go to the great loop or something! 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

GMSLITHO said:
    35 M on a truck or car these days is nothing I think I have over 250M on my truck 
    That is what I was thinking. It sure would make pulling the boat much easier. 
    Go Steelers!!!
    @Cableguy Greg
     keep in mind you have 5 year 100M warranty on that diesel motor also-
    rasbury said:
    @Cableguy Greg
     keep in mind you have 5 year 100M warranty on that diesel motor also-
    Good to know. It will be a certified used, so it will also come with a 12 month, 12000 mile bumper to bumper warranty. I would probably burn out the 5 years way before I would hit 100k miles. 
    Go Steelers!!!
  • JoeStangJoeStang Member Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭✭

Thats another very nice benefit of trailering. I could see gas being $1.50 on land, and I would make a couple more long distance trips if it was that cheap. When I started boating it was 2013, and gas on the water was $4.50 :o
  • IanIan Member Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭✭
    Based on all we did last year NOT on the boat, that’s our summer plan. 

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,882 ✭✭✭✭
    I have zero plans to make changes to the family vacations.  Boat every weekend and hit the keys.  Only a domestic travel ban would stop us. 
  • JoeStangJoeStang Member Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, I wont be changing anything because of the virus stuff. If anything I might have more free time, since I work in an elective outpatient healthcare department. '

If anything, being on the boat in the middle of the lake is great social separation!
  • raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,455 admin
    It would be nice if the gas prices stay down........ Just say'n
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
    JoeStang said:

That's another very nice benefit of trailering. I could see gas being $1.50 on land, and I would make a couple more long distance trips if it was that cheap. When I started boating it was 2013, and gas on the water was $4.50 :o
    Fuel was still $5/gal on the water in Pittsburgh last summer. My boat is in a self storage yard a mile from a gas station that sells ethanol free fuel. I have been watching the prices fall. If they keep up the decline over the next week or so, I am going to pull my 280 to the station and fill her up. Saving $2 or more per gallon buys a few cases of beer with a 100 gallon tank. 
    Go Steelers!!!
  • LaReaLaRea Member Posts: 7,504 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We'll have to postpone any long cruises.  With schools closed indefinitely, the Admiral's teaching year will probably last well into July if not August.  
    Yes, I plan on boating with jahav this summer...
  • rinker270nbrinker270nb Member Posts: 207 ✭✭✭
    High water levels are still present her in northern Illinois as we head into spring rain. It may be cheaper to keep mine on the trailer and getting to the water, and gas station, when I can.
  • rkinrossrkinross Member Posts: 176 ✭✭
    I reserved a condo at SeaWatch in Myrtle Beach in July.  With so many resorts closing I hope this shutdown does not extend that long but the health care officials just do not know how long this will last.  I have until May to cancel and get a full refund on my deposit.  Hopefully it will not come to that. 

As far as boating is concerned we rent a house in Deersville Ohio at Tappan Lake for a week in August and spend the entire time tubing and water skiing on the lake.  This area is very rural and even if the pandemic is still going strong I think we will still go because our contact with others would be limited.  The only thing that would ruin this plan is for the government to get involved and ban all travel.        
  • randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Paying more attention to sunscreen. purchased some long sleeve UV tee's fishing shirts. That have UPF 50.  Every year I visit my dermatologist, and he burn's off sun spot's pre cancer. In which he always warns, use sun screen, or stay out of it. 

Last week visit.

Boat Name : 

• PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,882 ✭✭✭✭
    @rkinross if the resort is closed there will be tons of vrbo homes, ocean front between North Myrtle and murrles inlet if that fits your cup of tea.   

I prefer Pawleys island or murrels inlet over anywhere else in the Myrtle area although folly beach is my favorite place on the SC coast.  

For the first 18 years of my life we spent at least 1 week a year in myrtle during the summer.  Its changed a lot since then.  
  • javhavjavhav Member Posts: 420 ✭✭✭
    Yes I'm working on a misting antibacterial  system for the questionable ones on the boat plus a prest for all the sin cleansing that may occur 😎
  • SpyderwebSpyderweb Member Posts: 879 ✭✭✭
    Right now planning no changes.  We generally go to quiet bays, swim and watch (animal) wildlife.  I think staying on the boat lends itself to good social separation.  
  • WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭✭✭
    randy56 said:
    Paying more attention to sunscreen. purchased some long sleeve UV tee's fishing shirts. That have UPF 50.  Every year I visit my dermatologist, and he burn's off sun spot's pre cancer. In which he always warns, use sun screen, or stay out of it. 

Last week visit.

Randy, I noticed those when we met but didn't want to ask. I just thought maybe it was work related or a touch of psoriasis or something. Good point on the sun safety. My own father has had several such areas removed on the sides of his face and ears and I am keeping an eye on a few myself . Our entire family enjoys the outdoors and always wear a hat, but mostly ball caps that do nothing for ears etc.
    A good point to take appropriate steps for protection.

"Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270
    Our launch day is about 45 days away yet. Guess it'll depend on where this Covid19 crap is at. It may affect us as far as fewer visits to other marina's and raft up's and more solitary anchoring out. Economics might still come into play also as far as fuel and free $$ to do stuff. As long as our marina doesn't do something stupid like close completely I'd even be fine with just spending time with ourselves at the slip and wave at my neighbours from a distance. Should be a lot easier on my beer supply!
  • YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Willhound said:
    Our launch day is about 45 days away yet. 
    45 days?  I'm hoping to launch second week of April in Midland :)
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
    YYZRC said:
    Willhound said:
    Our launch day is about 45 days away yet. 
    45 days?  I'm hoping to launch second week of April in Midland :)
    Marina doesn't start launching until May 1st. Old owners would launch earlier depending on conditions but new owner's don't want to do that citing insurance issues. But I'm working on it. Our contract states that in-water season is in starting May 1st or later and out no later than Nov 1st. That part works for me as I always take off the following week for deer hunting so want everything tucked away before I leave.
    Where are you in Midland? I heard that last year some of the bigger marina's didn't get everyone in until mid-May because of the high water conditions.
  • YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I’m at Bay Port. Last year was late for sure, I think I was 2nd week of May. Several docks were in rough shape. 
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
    Well with all this other crap here's hoping for a good spring.