Options

Stater will not turn over...

rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,238 ✭✭✭✭✭
So on the water, no issues...stopped for lunch....hit the key...weak starter turn then zip...plenty of juice on the batteries...no breakers tripped...starter? Had a lot of water in the bielge recently and was worried about this...guages will not come on either so total power shut down...but the Genny will start no I have juice...

Comments

• Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,907 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Does it click? If so, hit it with a wrench or hammer?
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,797 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Check your main harness plug, did you put a clamp on it when you reinstalled the engine? I point to this because you said the gauges aren’t working also.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    No click...harness connection is tight...that starter was under water...but it started with no hesitation twice today...
  • Options
    And it just started...
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin
    Sounds like the slave solenoid. Easy fix 
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,907 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Does your boat have one of those kill switches that you clip to your life jacket? My Four Winns had one that was failing and would cause the boat to not start occasionally. 
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    On the starter @raybo3? Yes I have that other switch...
  • Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Slave solenoid is on the manifold just behind the flame arrestor.
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Get rid of it Ras!!!
  • Options
    I checked it, seemed to be ok...guess they are cheap enough to get a new one...
  • Options
    Ah handy....if I got rid of it I would not have anything to tinker with!
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    Ras, All you have done for 3 years is tinker
  • Options
  • Options
    Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I tinker my rinker and sometimes I work on the boat. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    Isn't there always a tinker to perform? 
  • Options
    IanIan Member Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭✭
    First the bielge, now the stater. What next?  :D

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• Options
    edited March 2020
    Starter, sorry for mis spell! Hey, it's a boat...it ran like a top...after bringing it home I kept hitting the key and no problem...I will give things a look over. I called seatow, they came back but had to leave and was going to come back for me and then it started...
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,797 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Could be an intermittent ignition switch also.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just spent hours researching stater issues now I have to start all over.  
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    And I'm thinking about yesterday...I tried the key a few times with no results...I think I left the key on.....I was just kind of standing there with the hatch up waiting for my sea tow guy...I heard something click...radio came on and the alarm and I hit the key and it started right up. Nothing was over heated on the temp gage ...very weird. Sounds like I need to do more boating....and still leaking water from somewhere...sat on the lake for about 2 hours and the pump came on....had not run the air so I know that is not contributing to the water...  
  • Options
    Pretty soon boating will be shutdown
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,558 mod
    Pretty soon boating will be shutdown
    RVing will be shutdown waayyy long before boating.  It'd be pretty difficult to stop people from going in their back yard and get on the boat.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    All Ramps and marinas here are being closed. Your next @Dream_Inn
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,558 mod
    All Ramps and marinas here are being closed. Your next @Dream_Inn
    Marinas are marked as essential.  :)  All is good and I will definitely be enjoying the boat! :)  But, an RV on the road is non-essential.  No worries, I'm still at work and don't see that changing at least any time in the near future.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    I'm at work too. RV in storage one more month
  • Options
    Master relay, top of engine, I'd start there. I had ages ago a weird one where one engine had nothing at all off the key and lo and behold, next try all good and no more issues. Then I had a one off double beep last year and plugging in said it was the master relay so it was replaced with no issue since. I have decided to buy 4 new relays and a spare IAC.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

• Options
    so that relay has a reset on it? Mine has never "popped" or done anything other than work so have never messed with one....I saw the button it it, it was not popped out or anything....I really thought it was a wet starter issue as the bilge had filled with water and that sucker was under water for a bit.....I'm in fresh water so I don't think I'd have any corrosion issues other than it getting wet inside the starter.....

So, I know the power goes through the starter and the ground goes to the motor...when you hit the key, power is already there so it's finding a breaker or a ground as the problem ? So for the power to go through, the starter solenoid has to engage when you turn the key on and then as you turn it fully the starter motor starts to turn...that solenoid engaging, does that make the connection then for the + side to go through the rest of the "system"? Like to light up the gauges and the power to the starter motor? I will get one of the breakers...same for the trim to I'm told...
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    No, I am talking about the small square relays, topside towards the rear port side. 2 - the forward one is main power and the other fuel pump. Nothing to pop, they work or not but perhaps get sticky. At least on the 5.0 MPI. The fact that all is dead suggests the master relay to me, if the gauges were not dead I’d be looking at other things like the solenoid and breakers.

Post edited by Ian on

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

• Options
    I will check those parts out...no fun to be stuck!

• Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hmm. Hadn't thought of those. Thanks! More parts for the spares kit.
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)