Options

2001 Rinker fiesta Vee 270 towing

Does anyone know the trailering tongue weight for a 2001 Rinker fiesta Vee 270? I am having to tow my boat from Tennessee to Michigan and want to make sure I have the right tongue weight. I don’t know what kind of hitch to put on my truck. A raised or lower hitch or straight hitch. 

Comments

• Options
    Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    It's should be less than 1000 pounds, I think 10% of the boats weight however a lot of the boat weight is at the back.  What  are you towing it with? 
    Post edited by Aqua_Aura on
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hitch level is determined by vehicle and trailer height, you want the trailer level when on the hitch. 
  • Options
    Archy121212Archy121212 Member Posts: 4
    I’m towing it with a 2011 Chevy Silverado 1500 crew cab with trailering package and max cooling. 
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    I would think you should be fine with a straight hitch no drop or rise. I think you're good to tow 10,700 from looking online. I have a Reese hitch and ball that's rated to I believe 16,000 to tow my 280 EC, it's overkill ove better safe than sorry and it wasn't very expensive. I tow with an F350 diesel just FYI. 

I towed a Bayliner that weighed about the same as your 270 with my Tahoe no problems and had a straight hitch. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,238 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If 2 guys can stand on the swimplatfrom and the tongue of the trailer comes off the ground you need to move the boat up on the trailer. 
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    rinker270nbrinker270nb Member Posts: 207 ✭✭✭
     Some tips I picked up: put a strap from the trailer to the bows u bolt, it keeps the boat from bouncing.  I keep an infra-red temp gun w me check the hubs to see that they are all the same temp.  

The lower / higher hitch is the same, just flip it over to your preference and meeting height of your rig.
  • Options
    You can slide that roller back a bit also...I find on my 270 when I crank my boat up at the ramp , the trailer flexes and is on the roller...until I get it flat...so I move it and then end up moving it back again..if it's on the roller it won't bounce...and bouncing us not good...
  • Options
    mattiemattie Member Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭✭
    If you’ve just left the ramp & find you’re not quite far ahead enough on the trailer - find an empty parking lot & hit the brakes a bit hard. Boat will slide up into the sweet spot on the bow roller, no bouncing.
    Easy to do if the bunks/boat is still wet.
    Then re-do the transom straps.

246BR, 276BR, H310BR current
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When I tow my 280EC with my F150, I have a rise on the hitch. My trailer has a built in hold down strap on the front. Awesome feature.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    cowboybraxcowboybrax Member Posts: 5
    I have a 2006 Rinker 270 EC looking haul and tow on a 2019 dodge ram 1500 V8. Do you guys think im gonna have problem? I wish I can afford the 2500 Ram. 
    Please advise
    Thanks you..
    Brax
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    Isn't the 2019 ram 1500 rated for 10k towing?  I'm going off memory here but a fully loaded 270 is only some 7500 lbs, some of the guys here own them and can chime in.  Many of the new 1500 trucks tow what the 1999 2500 trucks were rated to tow.  My 3/4 ton diesel 4x4 excursion is only rated for 11.5k.  Im pretty sure my boat and trailer exceed that and I tow every weekend, very carefully.

Make sure you have good 10 ply tires inflated to proper psi on your tow rig. I feel unsafe towing on light passenger tires. Feels too squishy.  

So long as your trailer is good to go as far as brakes and loaded properly I dont see you having an issue. 

My excursion is running a factory f350 snow plow suspension(x/b code springs with 4.5 inch lift block in rear).  I'm 4 to 6 inches higher than a factory  excursion.  Even with 35 inch tires I have to use a 6 inch raised hitch to make my trailer ride level.  

• Options
    skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
    I think a 270 is closer to 7500# dry.  Fully loaded I bet you approach 9500#
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    That 270 needs to be put on a diet
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    More important issue is where are you towing it? If you are traveling around the great lakes then you will have no issues. If the truck is rated for 10k then it will be close once you factor in the trailer weight of around 1500 pounds. 

Where I live I have to do a 1000' hill climb to my house so I wouldn't want to tow it with that truck. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    I have some grades I hit on the way home from the lake where I hit about 52/53.  Speed limit is 65.  I keep a steady  60. 

I tow on Friday nights/Sunday afternoons so traffic isn't too bad. Traffic gets worse when Georgia/Georgia tech and Clemson all have home games along with panthers/dirty birds
  • Options
    F150/5.4l/3 valve 3:73 rear toes my 270. Would like a 250 but the 150 is paid for. Central and South FL is pretty flat, ramps are the worse to deal with. I see people shake their head when I pull out of ramps others are spinning wheels...
  • Options
    Hey Archy, how is the towing of your 270 on the Ram 1500? Is it the V8 or V6. Please advise. Planning to buy the 5.7 V8 for my 2006 rinker 270.
  • Options
    Thank you all for the input.
  • Options
    my 270 is 9'1 beam...it might be shrinking with age like me though...
  • Options
    My state offers a 100 dollar year wide load permit for non commercial use.
  • Options
    J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭✭✭
    youll be fine.... this worked... stopping was not great  :disappointed:

• Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,907 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did anyone see the Ranger towing on Instagram?!
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,907 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ^^^ YES!!! ^^^
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    If you can afford the boat then you can afford the permit. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    Aqua_Aura said:
    What about the fuel????

• Options
    But it's just not as fun that way. 

• Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aqua_Aura said:
    What about the fuel????

Depending on where I am at, I get 6-8 mpg towing my 280EC. I have an F-250 with the 6.2 gasser. When I purchased the truck last year, I was only planning on towing on or two trips a year along with the drop in and haul out for the season. Unfortunately my situation changed and we are towing every weekend since there are no slips available at any of the local lakes. If I would have known that I would be towing this much, I would have gotten the 7.3 gasser or the 6.7 diesel. 
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!