Wind Down of Rinker Brand

A note from our Polaris Boats President, Jake Vogel: 

"Today we publicly announced that we will wind down the Polaris Boats Syracuse Facility and the Rinker Boats brand.

I know this news will be a surprise to many of you. As you can imagine, this was a very difficult decision as we had exciting plans to build on the legacy of the Rinker brand which you are a part of. However, due to expected future demand, particularly given the current economic outlook, and the significant investment needed for these efforts we have decided to hold on these investments.

Please rest assured that Polaris Boats is strongly committed to supporting you. We will continue to honor Rinker warranties and we will continue to supply parts. Polaris Boats is a partner with our dealers, and we won't walk away from the people and customers who have helped grow these businesses.

Please know that the Polaris Boats resources, creativity and efforts will be focused on the growth and performance of our Bennington, Godfrey and Hurricane brands, to which we remain deeply committed, If you have not explored these brands, we encourage you to do so as there are many great products and innovative features available from these brands.   

I would like to express my appreciation to all our Rinker customers. We hope you will continue to be Polaris Boats customers in the future! 

Best Regards,

Jake Vogel

President Polaris Boats"

It has truly been our honor to help you have unlimited family fun, explore new waters, and experience pure boating. We believe the adventure lives on.

Official Press Release: https://www.polaris.com/en-us/news/company/polaris-to-discontinue-production-of-rinker-striper-larson-fx-boats/

-Rinker Boat Co. Marketing

Comments

• Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,550 mod
    A very sad day!  Especially when looking forward to getting the boat out and continuing working with the local Rinker dealers!

Rinker has been such a fantastic brand for so many of us!  Thank you Rinker for all the good years!!

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• LaReaLaRea Member Posts: 7,503 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is indeed tough news to swallow.  We will be sorry to see this proud brand disappear.  
  • YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Will Polaris continue to maintain this owners forum? Thank you. 
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well crap!
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270
  • Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My heart sank when I read that email. I, like so many of us on here, are Rinker’s biggest cheerleaders. I always said good things about this brand. Let’s hope the forum continues. 
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Stever00Stever00 Member Posts: 145
    It's my fault!  I bought a new Suzuki commuter car when I worked in Huntsville in 2006. They stopped selling cars in the USA. In 2011 I buy a new Dixie Chopper mower. They go defunct in a few years. I buy a used Rinker boat in 2019. Now they do the same. If you get mad at a company let me know I'll buy one and put them out of business. Yea, it's sad when a company shuts down. I've worked for two companies that left here and went south of the border. Hate to see people lose their jobs. Not just income they lose. Its friends and a way of life. Only thing constant in our lives in change.
  • Pat310Pat310 Member Posts: 529 ✭✭✭
    raybo3 Revere MAModerator Posts: 4,440 mod
    Dream Walter McCallum (spelling) was the owner of the old site. He went by the name of Talon. It was his site. I tried to reach out to him before and trust me its a long story. I would highly doubt Rinker would change anything with this site. IMO as long as Rinker is making boats we are safe. 

Last line very telling. I am a member of Mariah Owners club forum that is member run for a brand no longer in business and it is not pretty. 5years ago it was an active and informative site.  now just about abandoned. Hope Ray was wrong 
  • raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,455 admin
    @Pat310 I remember that battle with the old site like it was yesterday. I still have every e-mail and information that went back and forth. I have a call into Rinker. I am hoping that we can get a group to take it over. I am looking into administration and costs related to the site. Not to get too far ahead here but we may need to charge a fee to members. I will keep everyone posted and updated.  
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • earl1z19earl1z19 Member Posts: 331 ✭✭✭
    Raybo, send me a bill. Anything I can do to help let me know
  • raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,455 admin
    Time to start a new thread...........
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • MissLee2005MissLee2005 Member Posts: 67 ✭✭
    First things first, I live in the UK and love my 2005 270FV, its an awesome boat and is fantastic value for money when compared to Fairline's and SeaRays etc.  I have a couple of things I wanted to share with you all. These are my own points of view.

1. Its really disappointing to hear this news as after a little research I heard that Polaris only purchased the Rinker brand a few years back, and so it certainly feels like they were not 100% committed to maintaining and driving the brand forward.  Maybe it was struggling, however I find it hard to believe that "The current economic environment" ie Covid19 was the final straw to break the back of their commitment.  It definitely feels as though this is a good excuse and reason to close down the brand without losing too much respect in the market place.

2. In the UK our government are actively supporting businesses, both through financial support and stimulus to ensure jobs aren't lost.  I hear that over 120 jobs will be lost in Syracuse which again is really sad and disappointing...yet again its the blue collar workers that are impacted the most. These are skilled engineers!!

3. For some reason the cost of boating seems to have spiralled these last few years, everything connected with marine seems to have massively increased in price...and you have to ask yourself why!...are the products that much different? do they really need to be that much more expensive?  The outcome of all these increased prices could well be that boating becomes only for the wealthy, and that the average family will no longer be able to justify the spend....is this really the outcome anybody would want!

4. I have already mentioned I'm a UK Rinker owner, but as for getting parts, WOW!!, the cost is horrendous when you factor in shipping and the additional import Trump tax of 25%.  The UK Pound is a hard earned Pound, we pay enough tax already so if the US administration aren't careful the UK £ will not be buying US goods. There are plenty of alternatives out there.

Rant over, not wishing to offend anyone, my Rinker is great and have made some new friends by joining this Rinker forum.... this is a sad day for us Rinker enthusiasts!!!
  • GreekCaptainGreekCaptain Member Posts: 5
    I believe that Polaris should cover the cost of this site, as a service to the Rinker customers and in line with their affirmation that they will honor warranties and, hopefully, after sale customer satisfaction. This site offers significant assistance to existing and future owners, it serves as a valuable service tool and it offers significant expert knowledge from past owners who had to trouble shoot and requested technical guidance and then shared it here. Many dealers have Rinkers in stock and I am sure that they need an assurance that their investment is not going down the drain, same with all of us, the owners, who will at some point sell our vessels too.

On a different note, I believe that closing the entire brand was a mistake. They could just keep the brand going with a few of their best selling vessels and reduce volume, while at the same time using the rest of the factory for some other function. I foresee that America will start building more things in the future, certainly a good thing, and smart companies will use the investment approved by the Federal government to retool and prepare for the future. It's sad to see the Rinker brand go... and it's even more sad to hear that American workers will lose their jobs.
  • LaReaLaRea Member Posts: 7,503 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Polaris has a plant in Huntsville, Al. This is reviews of people who work there. https://www.indeed.com/cmp/Polaris-Industries/reviews?fcountry=US&floc=Huntsville,+AL

https://www.al.com/business/2015/01/heres_what_polaris_new_505-acr.html#incart_story_package

Big market now for people too lazy to walk in the woods. Lot too lazy to to own a boat.
  • EvanEvan Member Posts: 1
    Unfortunately this is what you get when a company is run at a quarter by quarter basis and the quarter's numbers is the only thing management cares about. No inspiration and obviously no true leadership and vision. The least Polaris ought to do (since they do not commit to ongoing support) is to make all spare part blueprints public so that third party suppliers may step in as well as support the forum. The way they treat existing Rinker boat owners is indicative of how much they value all their customers and whether anyone should buy from them in the future.
  • TonyG13TonyG13 Member Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭✭
    I think it's interesting that the only mention of Rinker ceasing operations is this blurb on their website:

"Is my boat that I ordered still being built?"

"Due to Indiana Governor Holcomb's stay at home mandate, Rinker Boats has stopped production on March 24, 2020. This is an ever-evolving situation, so please contact your dealer directly to determine how this may impact your orders."

All other aspects of the website give the impression they are/will be in business post-covid.
  • rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm sure they don't want a max exodus...my neighbor and his wife both work for a window mfg. And they told everyone they were closing mid June- I'm sure they are not spreading it around or they might lose their orders and be stuck with all the inventory...
  • Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Owned Rinkers for 30 years. Almost indestructible hulls (if looked after) and far more value for the money than other brands. I know a lot of friends' kids and nephews/nieces love to boat but more as a day sport then back to land and the internet at night and "hanging" with their friends on land. A former Rinker dealer now selling Mastercraft ski/wakeboard boats said I'm making a fortune from parents trying to get their kids and friends to come to the cottage - so the parents are bribing the kids and friends with 300K wakeboard boats. I'm glad my family and friends got to experience cruising and over nighting in many different locations.
    Times change, but, life goes full circle too....
  • Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Times have changed for real temporary but a lot of companies adapt to the market and survive
    That is so true handy...if your a retailer and your not on Facebook and other sites to market your wares, your not going to survive...that's a car, a destination....a widget....no matter.
  • BentleyBentley Member Posts: 1
    edited May 2020
    The HeII with a bunch of Pontoon Boats. They are ruining the boating culture. With cheap product. And a high cost to the consumer. Tubes and plywood with a motor.
    Jake Vogel stop taking the easy road out. And stay with a proven Brand. Is the Rinker mold's for sale? 
    Post edited by raybo3 on
    Wonder if anyone may buy Rinker? Anyone on this forum that worked for Rinker?
  • Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like Bentley has deep pockets! Let's get our pirate patches and take over!
  • aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,775 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Let’s get everyone together and buy Rinker, we can keep the Rinker name but call it “Rinker forum”. Honestly, with all of us together thinking, the boats would be amazing!
    2008 330EC
  • Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭✭
    Yes but then you would have all of us thinking together which could potentially not be amazing 😕 too many cooks. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,775 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Aqua_Aura , very true.
    2008 330EC
  • Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭✭
    Ok good we atleast agreed on that. Maybe there is hope 😉
    1997 Bayliner 3988