Options

Cool Fuel Module Fitting Fix (DIY)

2»

Comments

• Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes black 5200 remember only get as much as you need because you have to though the rest away. Think I'm  going to replace the lower hose it rubs up against the motor mount. 
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,815 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a couple of tubes of 4200 and 5200 with punctures in them from a pick. Once the cap dries up, I use a pick to make a hole to squeeze some out. Once that hole dries up, make another hole. Keep going till the tube finally dries up.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    @reneechris14 , curious how you will replace the hose? It’s pressed on like the fittings were. Carefully use a razor then clamp the new hose on? Below is the hose bib with the hoses.

https://www.marineengine.com/newparts/part_details.php?pnum=MER22-865208T01
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    I installed the module today, no issues with the install. If you have a bulkhead in the way, the only thing I recommend is make sure you position the lower hose clamp to where you will be able to tightening it before the hoses are attached.

2008 330EC
  • Options
    Very nice, will remember that when i change the hose👍snowy sunday thought I would get in over my head
  • Options
    Nice, inspecting or replacing?
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    Upper drive shaft seal. 2nd time on my port drive so I'm going to take u joint assembly out of my spare drive and swap. Maybe see some reason why. The tuff part 7lbs rolling torque on the assembly?
    Post edited by reneechris14 on
  • Options
    So check this out. I noticed the slightest bit of water on top of the cool fuel module on my port side engine. This is the one that I modified with the fittings. I didn’t know where it was coming from. I noticed some pitting in an area and decided to clean it up with some sand paper. Once it was clean I noticed a flicker of light in one of the pits. I took my pick and it went straight in!! How can Mercruiser design something like this!! This would’ve shot salt water all over the engine compartment eventually! I ended up using a stainless bolt with 3M 5200 to seal it up for now. I have a new module on order. This will be an emergency spare. Again, I’m glad I found this now and not out on the water! 

2008 330EC
  • Options
  • Options
    bella-vitabella-vita Member Posts: 411 ✭✭✭
    That’s crazy 
    2002 Rinker FV 342
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For fittings, Marelon is ideal if using ‘plastic’. 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aero, what would happen if you bypassed the cooling function entirely?

I understand the benefit of the cool fuel module if you're in a very hot climate, but is it really necessary in our northern part of the world?
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    I would think you would be fine. When I pulled out my port module to modify it, it was plugged up and was running fine.

2008 330EC
  • Options
    I would think the cooler the better for fuel though.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭✭✭
    aero3113 said:
    I would think the cooler the better for fuel though.
    Yes for sure. I googled and found a few instances where people bypassed with no ill effects. Some claimed a greater risk of vapour lock though. 
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,563 mod
    Just to add to the topic, I helped my buddy Glen change out one of the fittings that was cracked on the lower input for cooling water on the fuel module.  This is the tap and piece needed...

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    @Dream_Inn we’re you replacing a fitting that was already a screw in type on a newer module? And the tap was just to chase the threads? The older modules had the press in fittings with the clamp I don’t think there’s enough material to tap the hole.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    We were replacing one that had threads, but previous owner used 4200 or something.  

• Options
    I retired the fuel module I modified, figured I’m on borrowed time with the corrosion I had on the housing. The modification worked great and I’m sure this module would’ve lasted a long time like this if it wasn’t for the corrosion. You can see that the new module I had has a drain fitting on it also, the older ones don’t have that.

2008 330EC
  • Options
    Probably a good upgrade.  I have the new ones on mine as well.  I like the addition of the drain fitting, knowing it is empty when winterizing.

• Options
    Anyone that replaces a cool fuel module, remember to fill the filter bowl with fuel. I replaced this module in October after I winterized and didn’t test run it until today. The engine wouldn’t start. I was under the impression that fuel would gravity feed to fill the bowl and when I turned the key on the pump would prime it. Once I filled the bowl with fuel, she started right up! 😅
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    IanIan Member Posts: 2,783 ✭✭✭✭
    You’re just bragging @aero3113 you got to start her up :) . I looked at mine in the storage shed today before coming home, about a week or so she’ll be out for a wash and polish before splashdown.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• Options
    edited April 2021
    @icoultha , I was going to wait a week or so, I had some extra time today and decided to run it. Glad I did.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    tricountytrailtricountytrail Member Posts: 186 ✭✭
    Replace o-rings on HOSE FITTING for cool fuel gen 3

I am pulling my older style hose fittings on my gen 3 cool fuel module they are slightly dripping.
    Anyone have the size or part number for these on the white plastic plugs.
    I would like to have them on hand before I pull them,
    Thanks