Mid-Bilge Leak

YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭✭✭
My mid bilge is filling with water.  I've tracked the source down to the area around the AC thru hull, but I don't think it is the thru hull itself that is leaking.  It wasn't until I saw the pics of @aero3113 underway with the AC discharge that I got thinking that maybe when underway my AC is also picking up water and it's leaking into the mid bilge area.

I did a two hour run today and I sucked at least 5 gallons out of the mid bilge when I got back to the dock.  No idea how often the bilge pump ran during the trip but regardless it's a concerning amount of water.  It was too rough to hand over to the Admiral today, much less to be poking around in the aft cabin.

Has anyone encountered this?
2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay

Comments

• aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2020
    Checks your clamps or the strainer. Maybe they need to be snugged up.
    2008 330EC
  • YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Next time out I will run with the thru hull closed to see if there's a difference, but we are thinking along the same lines.

Do you have a photo of that compartment?  Mine has a void in the fiberglass next to the thru hull that looks, well, sloppy.  Once I fix this I'm contemplating filling it with 4200.
  • aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That’s one area I never took a pic of, I’ll have to now!
    2008 330EC
  • Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If your A/C discharge was injesting water I would assume it leaks while the A/C is on too.  

Check the hose and thru hull for the A/C condensate drainage (if your 330 is set up like that). Also your anchor rode drain/thru hull.  Those thru hulls can crack. 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
    Discharge isn't an issue.  Everything forward of the head is dry.  I believe water is being forced into the AC pick-up when moving and I've got a leak or loose connection somewhere between the thru hull and the pump.
    Not taking in water when at rest/in slip?  

The strainer is worth looking at, a bad/missing o-ring   Could be a culprit. Cracked water hose could open under pressure and be ‘closed’ by the pump suction too. 

PC BYC, Holland, MI
    I don't think water is coming in when docked, or if it is, certainly not in the same volume.

The o-ring is installed on the strainer for sure, but its quite old.  I remember thinking it looked rough.  Cracked hose theory also makes sense.
  • IanIan Member Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭✭
    Hmm, has me thinking to of a similar observation.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

It was the strainer leaking. I need a new o ring. For now I tightened it with a vise grip. 
    Easy fix!  Use some plumbers silicone grease on tne o-ring when you install it. Helps from it getting beat up every time you remove the strainer. 

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭✭
    I had water in my mid bilge last week and I saw the shower sump box was leaking a tiny bit when we used it. Now this week there was more water even not using the shower. I noticed one of the hose clamps for the AC was loose and it had a steady drip so I tightened it up and no more leak. 

Just figured I would mention something in case someone was searching for mid bilge water issues. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988