How much power steering fluid do I need?

LaReaLaRea Member Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
Merc 496 Bravo 3, how much power steering fluid do I need to refill from empty?

Today I had an epic fail of the high pressure power steering hose.  I had just got on plane and set the autopilot, when suddenly the wheel went hard to starboard at 34 mph.  That was thrilling!  I killed the throttles and the steering was fighting me.  At first, I thought the autopilot had become possessed.  Nope.  The hose just popped right out of the fitting, instantly draining all fluid into a spectacular mess.  

I think I shut down the engine soon enough that I didn't toast the power steering pump.  

The cruise home was interesting.  16 miles from DC, on one engine, with no power steering.  

Comments

• YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not sure if it helps but I drained both my PS reservoirs and as much of the fluid in the system as I could via gravity when I changed the PS coolers. I used about 1 quart for both sides. 
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,552 mod
    Yep, I remember that same connection coming off of Steve's boat when we were on our way to see LaRea on the Potomac a few years ago.  I think it took almost a quart when all was said and done.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,882 ✭✭✭✭
    I just buy a gallon of dex III ATF.  I then use it for trim tabs, trim cylinders and power steering.  

• aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2020
    @YYZRC , you have coolers on both engines? I only have on my starboard side and the port hoses are looped.
    2008 330EC
  • aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @LaRea , glad you were able to keep it under control.
    2008 330EC
  • LaReaLaRea Member Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is this just end-of-life for a high-pressure hose after 13 years/750 hours?  Or is there some underlying condition that could cause the hose to burst?  Maybe some issue with the steering ram?  

Obviously, I'll replace the hoses on both engines.  I hope to source them locally tomorrow morning after I spend the cool early hours cleaning up the mess in the engine room.  
    aero3113 said:
    @YYZRC , you have coolers on both engines? I only have on my starboard side and the port hoses are looped.
    Yes, coolers on both side.
    Hmm.  I just realized that I replaced this hose in 2019 because of a leak from the fitting at the steering ram.  That's the same fitting that failed yesterday.  
    Also, since the port engine pump just goes to a loopback, it is not under pressure ... right?  So maybe I don't bother changing the hose on the port side.  
    Yes, I was going to ask if that fitting had been repaired recently.  That is EXACTLY what happened to Steve.  That fitting needs to be done by a professional with the correct tools.  Sorry to hear that happened. & yes, I wouldn't mess with port one.

• IanIan Member Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭✭
    Well, remember just coz it’s looped it is still pumping and under pressure. Mine leaked a few years on the port side without knowing so screwed up the pup so you have no choice but to fix it. Maybe not replace the hoses but check them out and keep an eye on them.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

I am very surprised that someone hasn't come up with a bracket and idler pulley to replace the power steering pump on the port engine.  I understand why it is there from a reduced build complexity standpoint but otherwise I don't get it.  Perhaps it's so that the parasitic drag is the same on both engines?
    Dream_Inn said:
    Yes, I was going to ask if that fitting had been repaired recently.  That is EXACTLY what happened to Steve.  That fitting needs to be done by a professional with the correct tools.  Sorry to hear that happened. & yes, I wouldn't mess with port one.
    The part I installed in 2019 was a Quicksilver part.  Maybe it's just a fluke that I had two failures.

I think it's absurd to have a working pump on the port side, and I've never heard a believable argument for why it's there.  
  • reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My pump is there with no pulley was like that when I purchased the boat, was looking to fix it for while then said to my self why?
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
    Interesting @reneechris14 , but even more interesting is that hose that come from port side and goes under to back of stbd side.  What is that?  I don't think I've ever seen something go like that.  (or is that what comes up to that clear see-thru lid and is an additional seawater input for the engine?  (I do remember some 342s having that)

• reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    yes the 1 1/2 black hose comes from the sea strainer to the Y with the transom then to the pump.
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • IanIan Member Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭✭
    YYZRC said:
    I am very surprised that someone hasn't come up with a bracket and idler pulley to replace the power steering pump on the port engine.  I understand why it is there from a reduced build complexity standpoint but otherwise I don't get it.  Perhaps it's so that the parasitic drag is the same on both engines?
    I asked here and other places when my pump failed - thinking why buy a new pump that really does nothing. Best I got was some performance part suggestion for those that strip off power sapping bits for racing - at a lot higher price that a rebuilt pump and new hose. Was surprised also there wasn’t a stock part.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

I love the shorter belt idea. Brilliantly simple.