Used boat purchase

Considering the purchase of 1988 fiesta vee 250. Will be first boat purchase. What do I need to ask? Specific problems I should be looking for?  Boat used fresh water approx 400hrs. Any and all comments appreciated.

Comments

• Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭✭
    Wow that is very good condition. Check all systems and run them all ways they operate. Compression or leak down test the engine. Check fluids and you can send oil off to be tested.
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • smittykrsmittykr Member Posts: 10
    Should I be worried about stringers and Transom decay/rot?
    Poke around everywhere and tap around. Not concerned but definitely needs to be checked. When the boat was stored not in use do they cover it? It looks really clean in the cockpit so I assume they weren't letting the weather beat the heck out of it and fill will water in the bilge. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's where a survey done by a professional surveyor comes in. Your insurance company may want one anyway to set a replacement value.
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270
    Also was this boat refurbished, maybe it looks nicer than it is from the photos. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
    What is the original fuel tank? Aluminum? How do they hold up?
  • LaReaLaRea Member Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    32 years old and only 400 hours?  Sometimes, low hours are a bad thing because it means the boat has been neglected.  Like @shawnmjr said:  the engine room is the best barometer of long-term maintenance, which is your key to reliability.  If clean and tidy, you might have a good find on your hands.  

Standard advice for new boaters:  take a course in boating safety, and not one of those 10-minute online quizzes.  And every spring, get a USCG Vessel Safety Check (optional, but free and definitely a good idea).
    This is photo of engine. 
    Looks clean but most importantly how does the bilge look under the engine? Again do compression checks on the engine and make sure you take it out on the water and run it. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • LaReaLaRea Member Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, I don't see any obvious problems there.  Bottom right, the yellow cap on the trim pump looks clean.  Batteries are clean.  Looks like somebody's paying attention.
  • aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It does look clean. The only thing I would question is the age of the manifolds and elbows. In the picture you can see the bolt heads are painted. Sometimes this means there’re original or they were painted when new elbows were installed. Just something to think about.
    2008 330EC
    I appreciate all the advice. I'll keep you updated on purchasing process. 
  • aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is what mine look like after they were replaced and new bolts used.

2008 330EC
    That is clean looking.  How many hours on the previous risers? Fresh water or salt?

What should I be looking for on the outdrive?
  • randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I see you are from Cape Coral, but cannot see license plate on the trailer. Ya think some one hauled it down there to sell? I'm in fresh water had lots of boats never had to change risers. On the outdrive one thing to look at grab ahold of it see if moves back an forth. It should not wobble very much 
    Boat Name : 

I just moved to Cape Coral from Ohio, boat is in Ohio. What does the wobble indicate?
    I am new at boat ownership. Depending on you all to educate me. 

The boat will be kept on a trailer in FL. But will be used in salt water. I understand it will need to be flushed after each use. Anything else I need to do? Or should I forget about using a stern drive in salt water?
  • Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just moved out of Cape Coral and live in FT Myers now. 
    It's a nice area. How long you lived here?
    Your boat have stern drive?
    Play side to side on the outdrive is a better description. After years of use, the gimble housing get's wear, and sometimes needs replaced.  I'm in Indiana so new to salt, but coming to Port Charlotte in a month, for 3 months. 
    From what I have read, yes flush after each use, and hose down with fresh water. Replace anodes, as needed.
     https://www.discoverboating.com/ownership/first-time-boat-owner-checklist

Boat Name : 

• PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,882 ✭✭✭✭
    Handyman is a dry drive!!!

Try to tighten the lag bolts on the engine mounts. If they free spin you will probably find wet wood on the threads if you screw them out meaning stingers and transom rebuild time.  

Not a deal breaker if you have tools, time and about 1500 bucks for materials.

The fuel tank should be inspected for corrosion and pressure tested unless you dont mind installing a new one

Randy56, thanks for the advice. Port Charlotte is a nice area, lots of good boating/fishing.
    smittykr said:
    It's a nice area. How long you lived here?
    Your boat have stern drive?
    5 years and yes I had twin stern drives but kept boat on lift. 
    smittykr said:
    Randy56, thanks for the advice. Port Charlotte is a nice area, lots of good boating/fishing.
    Maybe the three of us can get together and go fishing on lake O
    Looking forward to fishing lake O, boat is in shop now. oil injection pump replacement & oil tank replacement. Changing outdrive oil.
    Maybe your son in law can give us some tips. Been watching U-tube video's of fishing there.
    Boat Name : 

If I bring a fresh water boat to salt water, is it worth the money to install closed cooling system? Full or half?
  • PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,882 ✭✭✭✭
    If its always been raw water cooled I feel the cast iron motor will start to descale with the acidic coolant of the closed loop system and possibly clogging your new heat exchanger and thermostat passage. Running an inline filtration system may help.  

I'd just run her until the motor goes then add full closed loop once she dies. Chances are wear and tear of age will get to motor long before rust from salt water ever has a chance to. We are talking decades here.

Toss on a new set of oem manifolds and risers if you dont know the service history, hit the water