Stock Market

Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,550 mod
edited February 2021 in Non-Boating Related
Ok, a few of you found this topic interesting, so let's chat about it.  I'd love to hear companies you find have been good long term and what is up and coming.

So, I have a few categories.  First one is for long term and good dividends.  Here are a few of those I've been in:

ENB
T
BGS
NRZ
IBM
NLY
Looking at getting into BANX, HTGC, ABBV, and SAR

I have some just steady ones like:
KO
VTI
AMZN

and then a few I think that'll pick back up:
FDUS
SLB

A few miscellaneous ones:
AMAT
HD
WMT
GE

Watching a few like
 CCIV
RMO
CRM
LI
PG
FANG
XOM
RIDE

What are you invested in or looking at?  Any luck ones that you happened to get in.  For instance, I jumped in BGS foods earlier this year at 26.5 and it jumped up to almost 50.  I had thought about taking some gains, but got in for long term and dividends and didn't want to pay short term gain taxes.  Probably should've taken gains then jump back in knowing it'd drop some. Was still a fun ride while it lasted.

Maybe I'll edit a few of these tomorrow with descriptions to give idea of what they are when I'm on a PC.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

Comments

• Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2021
    T and XOM I have never been able to make work. COST has been good to me and MSFT. I have recently got into some REIT which are staying steady so far. Looking for long term dividend producers in my portfolio and I always do DRIP. 

TGT is good but I bought that back in their crash. 

IIPR has been exceptional as well. 

SMG was kind a random buy but I have been happy with it. Special dividend last December was nice. 

I did buy a handful of Jim Cramer covid-19 suggestions back when the work from home started and they have done real well. ADBE, TDOC, CRM and some others. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,054 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2021
    \

As far as stocks to watch, seems like anything electric car is something to get into, there's some china place that makes cars, NIO that my friend has been in for a week or two. 
    Post edited by J3ff on
  • Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Verizon, Cisco and Carlye Group
  • Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,550 mod
    Yeah, my T (AT&T) is just getting me dividends & do ok with DRIP (although they always seem to buy at the wrong time).  

I'll have to look at COST.  I almost got into MSFT last in December, wish I had.

I do have a couple REIT.  Hoping they pick up a bit.  NRZ is a REIT with almost 8% dividends.  NLY is more commercial real estate, also great dividends (10%).

As for EV, I'm quite curious in RIDE.  Somewhat because both my father and FIL worked at Lordstown when it was GM.  RMO could skyrocket if it's batteries get picked up.  NIO and LI are also interesting, but definitely volatile.  

I'd have never thought about SMG (Scotts Miracle Grow).  Definitely looks like a good one too!

I have QQQ and SPY
  • randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Amateur stock investor here. Been buying into AI (artificial intelligence)  t ype stock.s lately. Here's some of my holdings.

These are 3 d printer company's
    DDD bought this one @$7.50 6 mo's ago now it is $47.95
    DM

These are in Al type stocks
    ALPP
    RMBS
    EXAS
    PSTG
    MGA
    HNHPF
    MU
    STM

Long term pays dividend
    WFG formly OSB- a sheet of 7/16 structorwood is now about $30 a sheet. wow

I looked at SMG some time ago, looks promising. 

Love to see everyone win, and want everyone to win. There are no guarantees in the stock market. There are risk.  great thread, thanks Dream.

Boat Name : 

Some stocks you guys mentioned are just too expensive to buy right now
  • WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not in buy mode right now but last go round was all banks and financials. TD and BMO primarily. Both Canadian. Great dividend structures and decent growth. Up 25% in just the last 6 months. best ever though are both U.S.   PG and JNJ have both more than doubled over a  10 year time frame. People always buy Pampers and Tide regardless of market conditions.
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270
    Some stocks you guys mentioned are just too expensive to buy right now
    Everything for the most part is too expensive right now. I am on the sidelines as far as buying. The dip we had last week from the wallstreetbets debacle would have been a good time to buy. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
    Randy, I'll definitely look thru those AI picks.  That'll help me diversify what I have even more.  Definitely love to see boaters win so they can spend more on their boating addiction. :smile:

I did buy a bit more during the last dip, but I've been waiting for a much larger dip, maybe 10%.  I just feel like I keep waiting as it continues to go up, probably that 10%.  Definitely crazy!  I agree with Aqua that things are too expensive and I'm probably 50% on the sideline, which is too much.

SLB is my to the moon bet! LOL!  up 12% in 2 weeks since I've bought and I think it'll triple by year end!  (gotta be Dream 'Inn! )  We will all help when we spend more gas in our boats!

Willhound, I do agree with PG.  I've been watching it for a month or two and thinking it's at the bottom of its dip from the high in November.  I may have to snag 50 shares soon.  People always buy Charmin too! :smile:

Does anyone own Bitcoin or the like?
    Does anyone own Bitcoin or the like?
    I wish I did today!  I am curious though if anyone does.

I owned 2 Bitcoin at about $600 and as it came down from it's last peak a couple years ago I sold it for about $10,000 each. Should have just stayed long since at worst I would have only been out $1200.  
    1997 Bayliner 3988
    Aqua_Aura said:
    I owned 2 Bitcoin at about $600 and as it came down from it's last peak a couple years ago I sold it for about $10,000 each. Should have just stayed long since at worst I would have only been out $1200.  
    Very easy to look back and say that now.  But, you did make the investment and make almost 1000% on it.  I'd take that any day!!

Looking at CAL and LQSIF
    Boat Name : 

• MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aqua_Aura said:
    Sell one, keep the other forever ... 

Lots of crypto going nuts in past 2 months ... the gains have been insane.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

Short story. Crypto's are complicated, I bought some, then sold it. at a loss .There are u tube to watch how to purchase.  kinda goes like this, first you have to have an account with an exchange. such as coinbase. Slide money over to them. then you can buy crypto's Then you have to immediately put your crypto's in a wallet. Or some hacker will steel it. That was a couple years ago. I felt uneasy about it and still do. I know millionaires have been made by it. Just not for me. Try it. Just remember to protect those numbers. As if your life depended on it.
    Boat Name : 

I use Coinbase and I would recommend that's what others use if you are going to trade crypto. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,882 ✭✭✭✭
    Reddit has been infiltrated by bots/people spreading dis information but this came from Reddit.  Can anyone confirm this the info behind this and if it's worth a go?  Keep in mind many of these legit guys are trying to hurt wallsteet but much of that has made them lots of money.

This is a technical play and I might write up a longer post about it explaining it in simpler ape speak.

PTON sells convertible notes

https://investor.onepeloton.com/news-releases/news-release-details/peloton-interactive-inc-announces-pricing-upsized-offering-8750

First off, the conversion price of the notes has been set at $240, a 65% upside from current price. Whoever was investing couldn't stop salivating over these and PTON expanded the offering from $600M to $875M + optional $125M. At 0% interest.

Let me repeat that, institutions are giving PTON a $1B in cash at 0% interest, for the promise of being able to buy PTON shares at $240 within the next 6 years.

Second, and here's the key part:

the option counterparties or their respective affiliates expect to purchase shares of Peloton's Class A common stock and/or enter into various derivative transactions with respect to the Class A common stock concurrently with or shortly after the pricing of the notes.

I know you all are full from that 64-pack of crayola you had for breakfast and you can barely read right now, so I'll dumb this down. Peloton is buying options on itself, specifically $70M of call options at a strike price of 362.48.

When you buy calls, whoever sold you the calls is forced to buy shares to offset the delta. So the "option counterparty" will be forced to buy a lot of PTON stock, I'm assuming in the range of $100M-$150M of shares. That's about a million shares that will get purchased this week, at whatever price, and they have to be held until 2024 or when the note holders convert.

PTON already has 70% institutional ownership, and even more institutional interest at these elevated prices is super bullish in of itself. The technical play for this week puts a cherry on top.

If someone who can read a 8-K reads this, yes convertible notes are dilutionary but the call options negates any dilution. PTON basically puts down $1B in the liabilities column and $1B cash in the assets column

Another reading on what Rick said about Peleton:

Peloton Interactive, Inc. Announces Pricing of Upsized Offering of $875.0 Million of 0% Convertible Senior Notes Due 2026 (yahoo.com)

It is interesting to see where that will go.  May be worth a few stocks of PTON just to see what happens. 

randy56 said:
    Looking at CAL and LQSIF
    Randy, LQSIF definitely looks interesting.  I buy enough alcohol, might as well invest in it it too.  Looks like at one time the stock was much higher.  Wonder why it initially went down.  But, looks promising.

• MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭✭✭
    randy56 said:
    Short story. Crypto's are complicated, I bought some, then sold it. at a loss .There are u tube to watch how to purchase.  kinda goes like this, first you have to have an account with an exchange. such as coinbase. Slide money over to them. then you can buy crypto's Then you have to immediately put your crypto's in a wallet. Or some hacker will steel it. That was a couple years ago. I felt uneasy about it and still do. I know millionaires have been made by it. Just not for me. Try it. Just remember to protect those numbers. As if your life depended on it.
    Crypto can be confusing for sure ... there's some homework to do about what's good, when to get in and out ... etc, etc.

You don't need to move the crypto to another wallet (necessarily) ... you can leave it on the exchange like Coinbase. Basically, you'll have your own wallet in coinbase ... although some people will say until it's in your own wallet, then you don't control the coins ... but millions of people have their coins on the exchange ... kind of like having gold ETFs.  

Anyhow ... put it this way ... since October last year it's gone up around 5x on average, across all crypto. And I think it's going to go higher, unless the stock markets crash and pull everything down ... I heard sometime in March there's a correction expected.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

MarkB said:... I heard sometime in March there's a correction expected.
    I've read the same thing.  Expecting a 10-15% correction, which isn't a lot.  Heck, it might be just the gains from this year at the way it's going.  I'm trying to patiently wait a bit to buy in at a correction.  Right now I've just been putting back in a few percent at the end of the larger down days. 

Waiting for AMC and GME to be a rocket tomorrow!!
  • skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
    Diamond hands.  To the moon
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
    TWLO has exploded over the last couple of years. Should have done more research when I was looking into it as I ended up not buying 😐
    1997 Bayliner 3988
    I actually put a little in CCIV today.  Just a gamble for sure.  I'm also buying some of CELZ tomorrow morning.  It shot up 160% today and is at .08 cents per stock. Again another gamble.

edited February 2021
    @ MarkB I agree with ya on crypto. And we will have a market correction. We are in a bubble now. But I'm going to continue to buy.
    Bought LQSIF today and bought CAL
    Post edited by randy56 on
    Boat Name : 

Now I'm looking at MCHP and AMD will be buying the dip. maybe Friday mid day.
    Boat Name : 

Well I guess gme is done for. That one hurts a little.