Options

Help me diagnose a power steering issue

LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,546 mod
Recommissioning my 370 after a major rebuild with new transom assemblies ... the power steering feels stiff and jerky.  It goes through the full range of motion, but the steering effort is too high, and it feels jerky and uneven.

It's not a pump issue.  Today I swapped the port steering pump over the starboard side, and it didn't help.  The hydraulic fluid is new.  I don't see air bubbles in the steering fluid reservoir, and I've already worked the wheel back and forth about 1000 times.  I fixed a slight kink in the hydraulic line to the cooler ... no joy.  

What would make the steering feel jerky and uneven?  

Comments

• Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What happens if you raise the RPM’s? It shouldn’t matter but it might make a difference in you situation.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,557 mod
    Something maybe with the power steering cooler?  Could be inhibiting flow?

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    Were the steering arms easy to move by hand on your new transom assemblies?
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Definitely a blockage. Hard to find with out gauges
  • Options
    It could also be a valve sticking in the hydraulic assist arm. 
  • Options
    I'll try to describe it in terms of force are needed to turn the wheel:

No power steering, 20 pounds
    Normal power steering, less than 1 pound
    My steering:  5 pounds, but sometimes it briefly drops to 1 pound 

That's why I say it feels jerky.  While I'm turning the wheel, sometimes it will feel "normal" for just a fraction of a second, then back to 5 pounds of effort.  

A problem with the steering cable or transom assemblies would be a constant force, so I think it has to be hydraulics.  @Handymans342 it could be in issue with the ram after sitting in my attic for five months.  

How would I test the pressure?
  • Options
    PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,885 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You had it all apart and empty, what's the chances it just needs to be bled more? air pockets in the lines = no power steering until they pass.  

Start the motors at the dock, idle rpm and slowly clock the steering from left to right for the duration of your favorite power rock ballad.  "Don't stop believing" that it's something simple. 

I just rebuit my trim cylinders and it took maybe 10 min up and down working  to get it to stop  whining under load.  

Ive had cars that needed a few days to fully purge after swapping a power steering pump

• Options
    goalie59goalie59 Member Posts: 326 ✭✭✭
    Larea, does it make any difference if you have the wheel tilted. I have a bad u-joint in my steering tilt mechanism and if the steering tilt is not completely straight it causes an issue, it's a long shot but something you might want to check
  • Options
    @PickleRick I will try that today.  "Red Streamliner" by Little Feat is five minutes long ... that ought to do it.  
  • Options
    davidbrooksdavidbrooks Member Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭✭
    I am agreeing with @PickleRick really sounds like you are chasing an air bubble. I'm sure you've done this but keep turning the wheel hard starboard and hold it under pressure and then hard port and hold it under pressure at least a dozen times and see if it helps to smooth things out.
    It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere!
  • Options
    It will probably go away after Hotel California and a cold beer. As far as checking pressures, its impossible with out the proper gauges installed. There are no ports. Your Ram is probably ready to be replaced 
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Whatever you listen to just make sure there ate lyrics. I am close to writing in a complaint to the Margaritaville channel about Santana like songs with no lyrics. I'd listen to a rock station of I wanted that crap. Good luck LR....
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    GrahamuGrahamu Member Posts: 865 ✭✭✭
    I would run the engine at 1000 RPM going thru full turns both ways several times bring the drives to center and remove the vented reservoir cap to let any air escape or check for bubbles. You might have to do it more than once.
  • Options
  • Options
    Can you bleed the lines in different areas? Crack them open and let some fluid out under pressure.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    I just got my second upper-body workout of the day -- no joy. 

I ran the engine at high idle and cranked that wheel every way I could for about 15 minutes:  slow, fast, pinned against the end stops, you name it, I tried it.  There are no bubbles in the reservoir, and it's still really hard to move the wheel.  

@goalie59 the wheel tilt position didn't change anything.  
  • Options
    @LaRea , was any work done to the actuator? Was it rebuilt? 
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    To my knowledge, no work has ever been done on the actuator.  Do you think I should look at rebuilding or replacing it?
  • Options
    Did you disconnect the steering cables and turn wheel?
  • Options
    Maybe you have a weak hose collapsing?
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    I guess @LaRea dissapeared. 
  • Options
    @Alswagg will know the answer for this
  • Options
    Ok definitely not the cable. What could cause binding in the transoms?
  • Options
    Steering pin too tight?
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    Did you disconnect the tie rod and try the steering with one drive connected?
  • Options
    Pump problem is unlikely (Swapped power steering pumps port to stbd, no change.)

Not a steering cable problem (Wheel moves freely when cable is disconnected from actuator.)

Not a problem with the port transom assembly (Port steering pin moves freely by hand when disconnected from tie rod.)

Not an autopilot issue (Autopilot cable moves freely by hand.)

No visible interference or binding in the tie rod or other components.

By process of elimination, it has to be the power assist actuator.  There's still an air bubble, or maybe a piece of debris somewhere inside the actuator.  
  • Options
    PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,885 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2021
    Any chance a hose was twisted/over extend or pinched/kinked causing the issue?  I don't know if having hoses at the steering ram crossed is possible or would affect anyting if it was. 
  • Options
    It's not possible to cross-connect, but I'll double-check the hoses. 
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,557 mod
    Well. I mentioned the power steering cooler earlier with no response.  Chance there is s clog or kink inside ot?  Not the water cooled side but the fluid coil side.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Iirc there is a little flat spot on the ram that needs to be matched up with the top of the ram body.... er... uh... something like that.  If it isn't, you'll get herky jerky steering... I can't recall exactly, but indexing the eyelet to the body makes a big difference, however it's done.  I'm sure it's in a manual somewhere, which is where I recall it from.  I bought a new system last year when the steering cable snapped, and found the one on it was fine- jist wasn't indexed correctly.