Latest launch in 6 years

skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
Was planning to splash Saturday but now they are calling for 3 to 5 foot waves.  Last week was 4 to 6 footers.  So frustrating.
2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3

Comments

• trip_ntrip_n Member Posts: 747 ✭✭✭
    wheres the spirit mate
  • J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,054 ✭✭✭✭✭
    3 to 5 foot waves? Get yer boat in the water.. that's a normal day in the keys!!
  • skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
    Yeah not on Lake Michigan... different wave type.  Also have 3 year old and wife along with me.  By myself I would go no problem.
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Prudence and patience are a sign of maturity. Especially on the first shake down run of the year. Could be worse, marina's here aren't even open yet due to Covid, however most don't splash until May 1st anyway and depending on conditions, some of the bigger places don't guarantee all the boats in before 3d week of May.
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270
  • GrahamuGrahamu Member Posts: 862 ✭✭✭
    I agree with @Willhound,  3 - 5 ft waves on Lake Simcoe are not the same as the ocean. They are much closer wave tops and less bouyance. I would stay put too.
    @Grahamu @Willhound Yes exactly.
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @skennelly get her in the water!! My wife and I will be in Chicago in two weeks. 
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • davidbrooksdavidbrooks Member Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭✭
    I feel ya.  Mine is self induced though.  I am itching to get the dash back in and take advantage of some nice weather.  Today and tomorrow they are calling for 30mph winds though so no boat for me.
    It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere!
  • YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How’s the helm coming @davidbrooks ??
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • davidbrooksdavidbrooks Member Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭✭
    @YYZRC slowly.  I am at the mercy of the guy doing the painting. I did a couple rounds of sanding and priming so now we are at the end.
    It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere!
  • reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    stay on dry land for a couple more days.
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
    Sunday might give us a window.  @Cableguy Greg - Where are you going to be?
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not worth it to give you child and wife a bad day out. Stay on shore. Ya don't want a bad memory for them. Next time.
    Boat Name : 

@randy56 - my wife and I have been in some nasty water prior to having our daughter.  We have learned that it's just not worth it.  However the winds are looking promising for Sunday.
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
    Boat sank today.  4 people on board..they recovered 3...looking for tbe remaining person.  30mph winds waves were 4 to 7 footers.  Sad.
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
    edited May 2021
    16 foot boat!!!!  They did not find the 4th person
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    skennelly said:
    Sunday might give us a window.  @Cableguy Greg - Where are you going to be?
    We are staying at the Renaissance Friday evening to Sunday. 
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
    Well...launched today.  Not good.  I've got some kind of vibration going on.  After pulling into our slip I lifted the hatch and my drive reservoir was nearly empty as well.  I topped it off and about an hour and a half later it was down again.  Topped it again and watching it.

I had the gimbal bearing done last summer so alignment has been done quite recently.
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh no! 6 years since you have been in the water or an I missing something?
    Not a good start.. maybe it's just a plug that was not tight but we know when all the oil leaks out the water comes in..so hope you got it pulled...hope the rest of your season goes better.
  • aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @skennelly , have you used the boat since the gimbal bearing was replaced? There’s a chance the broke the reservoir nipple on the outside of the transom assembly.
    2008 330EC
    That would be just the bearing, not the out drive right?
    To clarify..no this year is just the latest I've launched in 6 years.  Usually always launch by April 15th.

I had the gimbal bearing done around 4th of july last summer...used the boat all summer long and no issue

They also replaced the resovoir hose
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • RiverRat232RiverRat232 Member Posts: 596 ✭✭✭
    Haven't splashed yet this year either. Selling my motorhome and getting her in shape for the sale. Like boats, RVs are selling like hot cakes this year.
  • Dude_HimselfDude_Himself Member Posts: 596 ✭✭✭
    Ugh. Last year first launch was September. One trip, ordered parts, THEY JUST ARRIVED. Naturally the weather is calling for 30+ gusts for the next 10 days. 
  • J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,054 ✭✭✭✭✭
    skennelly said:
    Well...launched today.  Not good.  I've got some kind of vibration going on.  After pulling into our slip I lifted the hatch and my drive reservoir was nearly empty as well.  I topped it off and about an hour and a half later it was down again.  Topped it again and watching it.

I had the gimbal bearing done last summer so alignment has been done quite recently.
    This sounds exactly like what happened to me... Oil in the water? Or oil in the engine bay?

If in the water it's probably that stupid 10 dollar part that mercury made plastic. I don't know what it's called but it supplies oil to the drive... get it out of the water asap.. 
    @J3ff - I didn't see any oil in the bilge or no sheen on the water.  I had the oil line replaced last summer when I had gimbal bearing and bellows replaced.  I'm praying that there was an air pocket or something.  I'll see when I get back this weekend.
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
    Would you see that much oil in that big ol bilge? Mine did do that to after a service and for sure something to keep an eye on- along with every other nook and cranny on the boat!
    I'm not sure @rasbury...I suppose not
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
    Question.  If it was a lube hose leak wouldn't it leak on the trailer?  The reservoir was full all winter and before I launched.  Idk I'm still counting on it being an air pocket
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In 5 seasons with twin B3 I never had more than an inch of burp in the reservoir. Even when they pulled the drive mid season and didn’t drain, just reconnected and topped off, I didn’t have enough burp to empty the tank. Hopefully it holds. At the very least I’d get a mechanic on board to listen/feel the noises and vibrations. Any chance the props didn’t get re tightened after the splines were greased? 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)