Won’t start-SFCO CC1

SpyderwebSpyderweb Member Posts: 879 ✭✭✭
Genny wouldn’t start last week.  Found fuse 6 on controller blown.  Replaced fuse this morning and still won’t start.  It gives a click and shows code above.  Checked all fuses and they are good.  All seem to fit snug well plugged into controller.  

I run it 30-45 minutes each week to “exercise” it.  My home marina and my winterization/storage marina don’t do gennys.  Any ideas?

Comments

• Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2021
    Book says software communication failure and to replace the controller. CC1 is number of start attempts I guess. 

I would attempt to check and clean connections and look for loose wires. 

1997 Bayliner 3988
  • YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did you multimeter test the other fuses or just visual?
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • SpyderwebSpyderweb Member Posts: 879 ✭✭✭
    @YYZRC used multimeter.  That’s how I found the problem a week ago.  Thought for sure replacing the fuse would fix it.
    @Aqua_Aura is that picture the back of the controller? ( the front being where the digital display is?).  And would each of the lines be pointing to various plugs that could be loose, corroded, etc?
    How easy is it to get behind there?
    Yeah I think that is the back of the controller. Which model do you have? This is the manual for the 4/5 ecd. I would still go over all the fuses and make sure power is getting thru everything and then pull the controller off and check for anything obvious. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
    Yeah I think that is the back of the controller. Which model do you have? I would still go over all the fuses and make sure power is getting thru everything and then pull the controller off and check for anything obvious. 

You can search Google for the manuals, the forum won't allow me to upload pdf files for some reason. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • LaReaLaRea Member Posts: 7,502 ✭✭✭✭✭
    And the fuse holders all fit tightly?  No broken fuse holders?
    @Aqua_Aura yes this is the 5 ECD.  
    Not to hijack the thread, but mental note to self.  Those front panel fuses have been nothing but trouble for me.  I should replace them with pop-out breakers.  

@LaRea fuses all seem to fit tightly.  With each fuse out I carefully poked each metal bracket and each seemed intact, no slop.

Anyone know what’s involved to get to the back of the controller?
  • aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,775 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is what the back of the controller looks like on my 5ECD.

2008 330EC
    @aero3113, knew I could count on you for a photo.  So looks like I would check those 2 main plugs, and check the circuit board for anything loose?
  • Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,550 mod
    Oh, this brings back terrible costly memories.  I had to replace my entire controller last year.  My hour meter went from 1100 hours, to now, 80 hours.

Another problem I had was bad ground going thru the feed thru at bottom of genny.  Actually, it was corroded ground wire that was on back inside.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

Should charger starter battery cable be unplugged before messing around back there?
    Removed controller this morning.  Pulled the 4 plugs attached to it.  All looked good.  Circuit board look good.  Not even any rust on the back edges of the controller box like on @aero3113 (freshwater boat).  Rechecked the 7 fuses, all good.  Hit start and got clicking and the SCFO code.  
    Crazy question but did you test the new fuse before you put it in?
  • Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Any chance this has to do with the starter itself or the starter solenoid?
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

If I remember correctly, there’s a seller on eBay that can fix your controller if that’s what you need. 
    2008 330EC
    @YYZRC, yes, have checked all 7 fuses 3 times now.
  • Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,550 mod
    Have you ohmed out from the battery connections both positive and negative all the way to the starter? 

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

Guys, I’m throwing in the towel.  I’m so appreciative of all the help you put out there (always) but this one is getting over my head.  Still can’t get anyone up here to look at it (was told “we’re into winterization mode” or “we just don’t do that).  One marina gave me the name of a “mobile mechanic” in Syracuse (90 mile away) they sub work out to.  Talked to him and he will fit it in when he’s out this way.  Will also try and get him to fix the gas in my oil problem that I’ve also been unable to get someone to look at.

Oh well, it’s only money.

@Spyderweb , I sent you a PM .
    2008 330EC
  • Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have you looked up who the local kohler dealer is? Their website will have it. Here it is buckeye power. They are expensive and have to pay travel but they know kohler generators. 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

Fuse 6 is the voltage regulator and charging alternator. Just wanted to circle back to the original problem as the fuse was somewhat overlooked as we diagnosed from our phones 🙂. 

The regulator is digital so it may be in the controller and this may be the reason it blew the fuse and your getting a code to replace the controller. 

Maybe look into the voltage regulator side of things and see if you get anywhere. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
    @Liberty44140 nearest Kohler dealer seems to be about as far away as the mechanic I got.  The mechanic was recommended by the marina that deals with bigger boats, and often subs out work to him. 
    Update: Was up sometime after my last post, and now the display on the controller doesn't even light up.  Pushing start button doesn't even make it click.  A recheck of fuses shows they are all still OK.

After unanswered texts and phone call I had given up on mechanic showing up. Then, this past Thursday, a day I planned to go up to boat to begin end of year stuff, get message mechanic has another job within 35 miles of me and will come to boat if I want.  

When I get to boat he had just arrived.  After about 5 hours, much studying of Kohler literature, many phone calls to the home office, he's successful. The biggest time killer was trying to get power to controller.  while playing with back of controller, specifically the auto/run switch, the panel suddenly lights up.  He says switch (though working at the moment) should be replaced.  

A short time later he notices some corrosion on one of the house battery terminals (+).  When he touches the cable, he notices that it's loose.  He tightens it up and generator starts up.  WHAT?  A loose house battery cable?  

Now I had removed, cleaned and re-installed the cables to the battery that sits right behind the generator with no success in fixing problem.  

1.  Help me understand what a house battery on the opposite side of the boat has to do with the genny.  Everything else on the boat works.

2.  Replacing switch is a simple fix.  Remove controller (I've done that), then the 3 wires in the back of switch, reattach 3 wires to new switch, re-install controller.  Problem is, can't find switch.  I have a very detailed parts list for generator (posted on this site previously), but there is no part listed for stand alone switch.  Any ideas?  

There's no connection between the genny starter and the house battery.  The genny should be on a starter battery.  I'd trace those cables and see if they are mis-wired.  
    Would it have anything to do with the Marine Electric Battery Switch that maybe combines batteries?  I tried tracing the wire that got tightened but couldn't figure where it went.  I always assumed this was the Genny and starboard battery.  The other starter and 2 house are on the other side of the boat.

Start disconnecting battery cables one at a time, and see which one disables the genny.  I wouldn't want the genny to be on the house bank.
    edited October 2021
    That switch is set to “on” and should be set to “auto” and then you can use the rocker switches in the panel at the transom. 

Post a photo of the other battery switches (port side).