Big Orange Filter

jaubryjaubry Member Posts: 125 ✭✭
Seems this year we have some "odours" when we flush the head. I read up on the. Big Orange Filter. Does anyone have experience with this product? Does it work? Will it allow an easy emptying of the tank or do we need to do anything specific? Thanks Johnny

Comments

• raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,455 admin
    Works great. Every boat should have one installed. Easy to install just disconnect the vent hose and put the filter in line and your done.....
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2014

x

Post edited by Michael T on
  • Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    100% agree. Works like a champ. Zero odor.

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • frenchshipfrenchship Member Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭
    Hi, Somebody posted a do it yourself filter it work really well I made one and it is quite effective and cheap look at this thread in the forum. Paul Bookmark Options Waste tank sanitation? MiamiAG Miami, FloridaPosts: 33Member ✭ September 2013 in General Boating Questions So going for my first pump out this weekend... Once I pump out the black water, what do you do to sanitize the waste tank? I'm trying to kill the smell that comes out every time someone uses the head. Also wondering what do you do if you need to pump out your head and you're not inland. I'm planning a trip to Bimini/Bahamas. Thanks, A 0 0 0 2 2013 290 ec - Volvo Penta D4/DP Flag Quote · Off Topic Insightful Disagree Agree Like Awesome LOL Comments Black_Diamond Holland, MichiganPosts: 1,584Member ✭✭✭✭✭ September 2013 There are lots of holding tank chemicals people use, mostly personal preference and success, you really don't want to sanitize it asn you want the solids to break down. As for the odor when using the head, you need to add a Big Orange filter or similar..they 100% solve that problem. http://bigorangefilter.com/ Do you have a Y valve on your waste system? Flag Quote · Off Topic Insightful Disagree Agree Like Awesome LOL Babyboomer Louisville KyPosts: 823Member, Moderator ✭✭✭✭ September 2013 Good read here http://www.boatus.com/boattech/casey/marine-toilet-maintenance.asp Slip 391 Sunset Marina Byrdstown Tn Flag Quote · Off Topic Insightful Disagree Agree Like Awesome LOL Capt Ron Georgian Bay, Ontario Posts: 161Member ✭✭✭ September 2013 I too had the same problem.... I installed a charcoal filter on the waste tank vent and problem solved. Never had to buy chemicals after installing it. Flag Quote · Off Topic Insightful Disagree Agree Like Awesome LOL Babyboomer Louisville KyPosts: 823Member, Moderator ✭✭✭✭ September 2013 I built my filter and it works great still use a little chemical to be on the safe side don't want to be the one on the dock stinking up the joint Slip 391 Sunset Marina Byrdstown Tn Flag Quote · Off Topic Insightful Disagree Agree Like Awesome LOL Babyboomer Louisville KyPosts: 823Member, Moderator ✭✭✭✭ September 2013 Build your own filter http://www.boatinghowto.com/content/building-holding-tank-filter-288/ Slip 391 Sunset Marina Byrdstown Tn Flag Quote · Off Topic Insightful Disagree Agree Like Awesome LOL TikiHut2 Sarasota, FlPosts: 1,003Member ✭✭✭✭ September 2013 A Big Orange filter is a great charcoal tank vent filter as others have said, you can also DIY for about $10 and an hour of your time. Works the same and stops the stink from the vent very effectively, it's also easily replenished each season. Charcoal pelletts in a 1-1/4" pvc pipe with hose fittings on each end works like a charm. At the pump out make sure the tank's emptied well and then flushed and emptied again with about 5-8gals of water from the dock water supply. Also make sure to put a healthy dose of new RV waste tank treatment in the tank each time it's emptied. As a last resort it's legal to empty the treated tank effluent off-shore more than 3miles if you have a macerator and Y-valve. Here's a couple pics of my simple tank vent carbon filter. Good luck, Mike The basic aquarium pelletts and pvc pipe with hose fittings and a bit of course foam to contain the pellets inside. I put a set screw in the caps so I can get it apart each season for fresh carbon pellets Then just take a razor knife and cut out a section of the vent line to install your magical de-stinker at a slight angle with two hose clamps. Easy, easy $10 project and the Admiral, your guests and dock neighbors will thank you. 2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc... Regular weekender, Trailer stored indoors, M/V TikiHut, Sarasota, Fl Flag Quote · Off Topic Insightful Disagree Agree Like Awesome LOL Leave a Comment
    Sorry look up this thread from TikiHut 2 with pictures. LOL TikiHut2 Sarasota, FlPosts: 1,003Member ✭✭✭✭ September 2013 A Big Orange filter is a great charcoal tank vent filter as others have said, you can also DIY for about $10 and an hour of your time. Works the same and stops the stink from the vent very effectively, it's also easily replenished each season. Charcoal pelletts in a 1-1/4" pvc pipe with hose fittings on each end works like a charm. At the pump out make sure the tank's emptied well and then flushed and emptied again with about 5-8gals of water from the dock water supply. Also make sure to put a healthy dose of new RV waste tank treatment in the tank each time it's emptied. As a last resort it's legal to empty the treated tank effluent off-shore more than 3miles if you have a macerator and Y-valve. Here's a couple pics of my simple tank vent carbon filter. Good luck, Mike The basic aquarium pelletts and pvc pipe with hose fittings and a bit of course foam to contain the pellets inside. I put a set screw in the caps so I can get it apart each season for fresh carbon pellets Then just take a razor knife and cut out a section of the vent line to install your magical de-stinker at a slight angle with two hose clamps. Easy, easy $10 project and the Admiral, your guests and dock neighbors will thank you. 2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7
  • LakeOzLakeOz Member Posts: 8
    Last year, I did the $10 version from frenchship's post.  It worked perfectly and was easy to replace the activated charcoal before this season.  Here's a pic of the finished product -

• LakeOzLakeOz Member Posts: 8
    Or the same pic twice - sorry.
  • jaubryjaubry Member Posts: 125 ✭✭
    Thanks Paul. My concern with DIY is that there is no waste valve allowing air in during pump out. This can lead to collapsing the waste tank and then I'll have a mess to clean up. Luckily for you you're down river. ;) not that I want to spend $150 to rid the smell, but in also don't want to replace my waste tank in mid season.
    edited November 2014

x

I added one of those, 3" hole saw, drop in and tighten the fastener to secure. The hardest part: having the guts to drill the hole!

PC BYC, Holland, MI
    edited November 2014

x

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • OldDogNewTrixOldDogNewTrix Member Posts: 166 ✭✭✭
    Just make sure you drill on top! :) Jaubry, the Big Orange is the way to go. I noticed the Chandlery here in Ottawa stocks them now.
    Wayne '09 340 EC
    One question in regards of that relief valve I had sailboat all my life never heard about a tank that could implode and I did hundreds of pump out or never heard about that . It would take a lot of suction do do this. So you guys think that the regular vent on the tank is not enough or is it because of the big orange filter ??? Thanks Paul
    Frenchship: The Big Orange does have a relief valve.  I added mine as some CYA, some of the pumpouts around me can suck in the tank (collapse).  1.5" suction line Vs a 1/2-5/8" vent just does not cut it.

PC BYC, Holland, MI
    edited November 2014

x

• WeberWeber Member Posts: 249 ✭✭✭
    Do rinkers come with factory vent filters? Can't remember seeing one down there, and before I buy the original big orange, I would like to know if there is a factory one I could replace.
    Sin or Swim - Rinker 312
    The newer boats do as Big Orange inked a deal with Rinker. Prior to this i don't believe they did. I have an 08 and there is none installed. Going to pick one up today :-&
    You will love it..odors gone.

PC BYC, Holland, MI
    edited November 2014

x

Got it at the Chandelry today. Must be a popular item as they only have one left
  • OldDogNewTrixOldDogNewTrix Member Posts: 166 ✭✭✭
    Great, simple to install too just make sure to have 2 hose clamps when you go to install it.
    Wayne '09 340 EC
  • TikiHut2TikiHut2 Member Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2014
    The relief valve is a great idea but a normal pumpout suction will usually draw air through the bowl in the head (which I fill to the brim with fresh water before I start a PO) AND from the outside tank vent. Not the squeemish type I usually ask the guy to hand me the PO head and have him stand by with a water hose to give the tank a 5gal rinse and re-pump once it's empty (or to hose me off if something goes horribly wrong).  :-&

I stop a couple times during the draw down by slightly easing the nozzle to one side to let the tank breath and equalize and to see if the excessive vacuum is stressing the system. My tank vent draws thoughout the whole process but so does the bowl in the head, while simultaneously rinsing the flush system with the fresh water formerly in the bowl. Our blackwater tank hasn't ever shown signs of inverting.

The DIY vent cannister uses PELLETS so stanky outgoing air/gas can redily pass over it's cleansing and healing properties in a magical transformation. The pelletts also freely allow air to enter the tank at an unrestricted rate limited only by the diameter of the vent hose. By the way the waste vent hose is only regular old 3/4" reinforced garden hose installed at the factory which could collapse under the right conditions.

Here's the vent filter I use below. I'd show off the $100 worth of rum I bought with the money I saved but that'd just be bragging. :D

Embrace the waste process. A real man would train his wife to clean this mess up.   :D   That said, I still do ours....
    Enjoy, Mike

2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
    Regular weekender, Trailer stored indoors, M/V TikiHut, Sarasota, Fl
    In this case I opted of of the DIY and spent the $$ on the Big Orange Filter. I'll still bring the rum though...captain Morgan' spiced would be good right about now
  • WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry to revive an old thread, but I have noticed some odour lately, particularly when trying to use my Jabsco Electric Conversion pump to fill the bowl with water before suctioning out. If I fill the bowl with the pull out sink faucet, not as bad. Big Orange isn't in the budget right now so I was looking with interest at the home built version as above in @LakeOz's post. Understanding the issue with creating vacuum in the tank, what about just installing a one way cheater vent, like the one pictured here?
    http://www.homehardware.ca/en/rec/index.htm/Plumbing-Electrical/Plumbing/Waterworks/Fittings/Abs/1-1-2-Automatic-Black-Drain-Vent/_/N-2pqfZ67l/Ne-67n/Ntk-All_EN/R-I3252125?Ntt=3252125

"Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270
  • Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not sure how letting air in to the system with one of these will help. Have you confirmed that you have no existing vent filter? If not I reccomend making one. Cheap, easy, and they work. 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

No existing vent filter on my 2000 FV270 that I can see. Just straight hose to the vent thru-hull.
    Thinking of building a home made Big Orange, but as per the concerns above with not allowing enough air in when pumping out, could install one of these in the contraption. Just letting the squirrel's in my head run around a bit.
    Even thought of just installing one of these in-line on the vent line with a charcoal filter cartridge inside. If it filters water, it'll filter air....And easy and cheap to change the filter media.
    See? Squirrels.......

• IanIan Member Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭✭
    @TikiHut2 - any chance you have the pics and details again?

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

Tiki is long gone from the site. Sadly. 

PC BYC, Holland, MI