Vacuflush - duckbills & bellows replace.

mattiemattie Member Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭✭
Post 1000 !

Gonna do some service on our Vacuflush system. S-series. Pump runs too frequently.
Duckbills, bellows & O-rings replacement.

Assume the best way is to remove the pump housing & motor & work on the unit on a bench???

Any suggestions from experience?

246BR, 276BR, H310BR current

Comments

• Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,552 mod
    Oh man!!  I've worked on that thing way too many times.  First off, your toilet is keeping water in it?  If so, then at least the leak is not from the seal around the ball.  2nd, with everything real quiet, put your ear next to the foot pedal on the head and make sure it isn't make a low hiss.  That foot pedal has two rubber o-rings on it that can cause it to lose vacuum and you wouldn't notice (water would stay in bowl). 

Ok, if that is all good, then, make sure you have 4 duckbills.  Two go in the output hose going to the waste tank.  The other two are below the motor.  They really aren't bad to change out if you can get yourself in that hole.  (it looks the same as in my 400, up behind the port side seats.  I would say you probably don't need to do the bellows as they are usually ok and last a lot longer (just my opinion) and take more time to get out.

Tools:  Have some big channel locks and nice impact driver is great (no big deal if you don't, it just helps get the screws in/out much faster).

I can't tell you how many times I dealt with mine, but it was enough I actually made my own topic on it and worked on it on a bench at home for 2-3 months!!  Finally got it working, took it to boat and then it starting cycling.  Bought a whole new one ($1500) and to find out the foot pedal on the head was leaking too. 

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• mattiemattie Member Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2022
    @Dream_Inn
    I'll double check the foot pedal O-rings as well.

My plan is to R&R the pump parts all together. Hasn't been done since new (2014).
    Think best is to pull the entire pump housing out & deal with it out in the open. Not all buckled inside the boat.

I understand the Dometic bellows that were mfg'd after 2017 were made with a more durable material. Should be replaced regardless.
    Post edited by mattie on
  • goalie59goalie59 Member Posts: 325 ✭✭✭
    I hear you Dream. I went all through that last year. My old boat had an electric head and was much less of an issue. I think the vacu flush is overrated and seems to use a lot more water 
  • IanIan Member Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭✭
    People seem to rave over them but thats all I hear people have problems with.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

Got the pump all serviced. New bellows, duckbills & O-rings. Cleaned up in the compartment as well.

No issues at all. Used lots of synthetic grease.
  • SpyderwebSpyderweb Member Posts: 879 ✭✭✭
    Did you end up pulling it out and working on the bench?
    @Spyderweb
    Yep, only 2 plug-in power connections. Waaay easier to just pull the pump & motor out.
    Had to replace the bellows - too tight & too many bolts to loose if I repaired in place.

FYI: Dometic/SeaLand recommends replacing bellows to a newer version. Pumps prior to 2017 have issues with bellows failure. The revised new part has a grey pump arm. The orig equip that needs to be replaced - has a white pump arm.

• rmrstlmormrstlmo Member Posts: 222 ✭✭✭
    @Dream_Inn - How did you access yours?  I'm guessing it would be the same on my 2006 390.  I believe I saw it under the port seats when I had my ice maker out last year.  That would require quite a reach.  This boat was new to me last year and I don't know when it has been serviced.

Ray

2006 390

Previous 2000 340

@rmrstlmo I got it climbing thru the ice maker hole.  It's pretty snug in there.

Wow... from what I remember that would be really snug.  Has anyone cut an access hole in the floor of the port seat storage compartment?  Then make a cover out of Starboard.

Ray

2006 390

Previous 2000 340

• YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭✭✭
    On my boat you would have to cut a big hole in the side of the storage compartment. Big hole. 

2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
    It's a little better on the 390/400, but still snug for sure.  I had a friend that cut a hole under his port side seating and then regretted it.  Once you cut, you never have a "sealed" cockpit again.  It is tight getting thru the ice maker, but manageable.  But, if you are a bit larger, it may be tough.  I've been teaching my son how to help with some of these things now too. :smile:

@Dream_Inn the space is ample, but I think the hole would need to be quite large to allow you to disconnect the vacuflush and to remove it completely.

I did the same as you and climbed in where the ice maker was. 
    FWIW: That was a good exercise to service the pump & bellows.
    I used Permatex synthetic grease where needed. 
    Everything operates much more quietly & pressure is excellent.
    Have to really listen for the Vacuflush pump now.

@mattie mine is pretty quiet but I eat a lot of fried chicken. 
    YYZRC said:
    @mattie mine is pretty quiet but I eat a lot of fried chicken. 

Just don't eat peanuts....or at least chew them up very well.  First 10 day trip on this boat 10 years ago, I learned where the duckbills were on a 95 degree day (I had no new ones at the time - I now carry two sets of 4 as spares - so I had to "clean" them and reuse for rest of trip).  Did I say, the boat was new to me?  Think about it.  At least I'm married to a nurse and she always has those throwaway gloves.

If it makes you feel any better, on my boat the elbow fitting at the base of the tank cracked and leaked “stuff” all over the shelf where the water and waste tanks sit. Misery loves company?
  • raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,455 admin
    So I have been lurking in the back ground on this thread. It seems to me that everyone who has vacuflush seem to have a lot of problem with them. Guys at my club seem to be always fixing them.  I have had my boat since 2007 and I have never had to change the duckbills. I don't get any odor or any "return" problems and my quite flush works great.................... Just say'n
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
    I'll give it a shot through the ice maker hole.  I think I'll wait until fall and avoid the 95 degree days.  Thanks for the info.

Ray

2006 390

Previous 2000 340

@raybo3 You just jinxed yourself.  The hot days are coming!  FWIW, I don't ever get odor or return either, but it's just the loss of vacuum or the seal not staying sealed.