To open vents while marina bound? or keep boat completely closed up?

maxwellmaxwell Member Posts: 106
Hey Guys...well ,270 is back in the water...finally..new Bravo 3 installed after the stumps.Question..wife and I are at a crossroads on this..In the humid weather ,should we open   2 or more  vents to the cabin,when we leave the boat in the water for the week???allowing that warm humid air to enter??(what wife wants to do).....or should we put out the moisture grabber buckets..and keep her closed tight as a drum..(The cabin that is)..Wife says mold will start if we do not keep some vents open..I cracked the vent  in the head and keep the head door closed tight...mainly...(To keep the peace)..am I wrong to go this route??,or is wifey correct?.

Comments

• Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I always keep my boat closed when I am not there. Keeping windows/vents open will allow rain, bugs, and humidity in. I put the air conditioning in humidity mode in order to de humidify the cabin while not there. There are many threads here on humidly mode so you can search the forum for that. 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• GrahamuGrahamu Member Posts: 862 ✭✭✭
    I like some air circulation, we are fortunate on the 342 to have ports with screens in the bow, under the deck line, so rain doesn't get in.
  • Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,552 mod
    For 20+ years of boating, I've always kept my boat closed up and just had damp rid in there.  Never any issues.  I have never left AC on while away from boat for more than a day.  No need to because it only take 10 minutes or so to get it at least back to comfortable.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• oscar1oscar1 Member Posts: 729 ✭✭✭
    keep closed up
  • YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Another vote for closed. 
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭✭
    Ours is closed and stays in the marina year round. We had a circulation fan and after that broke we have had a heater to work the air and keep it dry which seems to work much better. If you will not be powered then use damp rid and keep it closed as previously stated. 

This is what we use. 

Ironwood Pacific DryWave 1000 Air Dryer | Ideal for RVs, Boats, Cabins | Prevent Moisture and Mold in cool, Damp Environments https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000BTAQIG/ref=cm_sw_r_apanp_TRJgq7LajcpyM
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • LaReaLaRea Member Posts: 7,503 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Closing the windows and doors is not like closing a Tupperware container. The cabin door isn't air-tight.  There's always gonna be some air circulation.  Over the long term, no matter what you do, the humidity inside the boat will be basically the same as outside. 

I keep the windows closed.  Except when I forget and leave them open, and I've never noticed any difference. 
  • GrahamuGrahamu Member Posts: 862 ✭✭✭
    Humidity is different depending on your location. Here in Ontario, Canada it can be high in July and early August as a norm so not much of a problem. As @LaRea says it's impossible to completely seal the boat so I let the air circulate.
  • aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,776 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I keep them closed with damp-rid. Like @Dream_Inn I’ve been doing it this way for a long time and never an issue.
    2008 330EC
  • IanIan Member Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭✭
    Ditto and leave the A/C on dehumidify mode.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Has been discussed before, but does anyone leave their AC on while away? As mentioned I use humidity mode during the week and it is MUCH better than nothing. A little cooler and dryer for sure. But it is still very hot. I've been considering leaving the AC at 76 or 78 when I leave just in July and August, at the very least it will relieve the refrigerator. 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭✭✭
    AC is really expensive to replace. I am afraid of wearing it out! 10+ year old boat and any humidity related damage was done long ago. 
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • maxwellmaxwell Member Posts: 106
    Thanks Everyone...!

that was really helpful,closed up with damp rid..for me ,based on what you all have shared...Thank you all..Wife will not agree..  with the consensus ... but then again she is always squawking about spiders...(my out).(.I think.).I turn the frig off ..as we are gone during the week..dont see the point...otherwise..There is  an algae bloom.in the marina...pretty heavy..nasty.really...(.I need a  clean water marina.!..).this year will be my last year there..unfortunetely..A/C got plugged ,last weekend.during the night.a Really HOT.. night with wife and new black  lab...( first night on boat.)only one fan..it was brutal..Vents..started blowing hot air..I hope I did not fry it..
    Thanks again ,for all your input.