Strange ac operation

goalie59goalie59 Member Posts: 325 ✭✭✭
I have been experiencing some strange ac issues. When the thermostat engages the system the fan will come on followed by the compressor. It will continue to run and bring down the temp but then all of a sudden the compressor cuts out but the fan continues to run. Then after about five seconds the compressor starts and the system continues until we reach the proper room temp and then everything shuts off. On two occasions the main panel breaker has tripped. The rear air was recently replace and is working good. Any thoughts. 

Comments

• YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mine does this too. I think it’s the deicing cycle. 
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • IanIan Member Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭✭
    I agree, mine does it too at times.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• goalie59goalie59 Member Posts: 325 ✭✭✭
    Have you also experienced the breaker going off. I looked at the coils when it shuts off and they are not iced just wet. 
    Yes my breaker pops every day. Sometimes it’s the one at the panel. Sometimes it’s the one at the port aft. Seemingly no rhyme or reason which one or why. 

I have a new AC unit on order but not arriving until end of August. Just hoping this one makes it!!
  • PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,882 ✭✭✭✭
    Couple things I'd check that require no special tools.   Make sure shore power plugs are good and tight if this is a shore power issue.  Same for connections between the control panel and ac assembly.  

Next is pull the breaker and make sure connections tight.  Swap with another equal size breaker if possible, an old breaker can trip before it's rated amperage and do it inconsistently. 

After that I'd want to know refrigerant pressures.
    Great. Thanks for all your advise. 
  • davidbrooksdavidbrooks Member Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭✭
    My first thought was low pressure on freon but it would do it all the time. I would follow the guidance on the electrical side. If it does it all the time then do an experiment. Run the AC on the generator. If it still does it then start at the panel and work towards the AC.
    It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere!
  • oscar1oscar1 Member Posts: 729 ✭✭✭
    YYZRC said:
    Yes my breaker pops every day. Sometimes it’s the one at the panel. Sometimes it’s the one at the port aft. Seemingly no rhyme or reason which one or why. 

I have a new AC unit on order but not arriving until end of August. Just hoping this one makes it!!
    Which brand do you order it?
    I tried to order a marinaire (same as @aero3113 has) but they refused to sell to me because I am in Canada and they have no repair services here. So I ordered a Dometic Turbo 16k with sound shield. 
  • oscar1oscar1 Member Posts: 729 ✭✭✭
  • John41John41 Member Posts: 98 ✭✭
    I was having a problem with my circuit breaker tripping on my 342. I read somewhere to turn down the refrigerator a little and that solved the problem 
  • Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Before replacing it I would do 3 things:

1- replace capacitor. Cheap and easy and a bad one will trip breaker.
    2- do the barnacle buster clean out of the inside of your raw water lines. I posted pics and video of how I did this on the forum and plenty out there online
    3- get some ac condenser cleaner from Home Depot and spray down the air intake on the unit itself. Do it like 5 times to really get it clean. 

07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

It worked flawlessly on Sunday , it seems very intermittent. Will try what you recommend. Thanks