Cleaning up a little boat use I hope!

rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
Finally got the boat home , cleaning up a bit and looking at the projects that still need to get complete!

Couple areas I could use a little input on our 06/270.

I keep a moring cover on it trailered, fresh water boating is our wheel house.

Recently replaced all the helm and lounge area interior/carpet.

I've had the boat 8 or so years and the front deck has really taken a beating from the sun. Just can't keep any kind of finish to last very long. It gets pollen all over it...mold starts and it's tuff to clean (using deck cleaner non skid stuff) and I know I have to keep up with something as I'm guessing that's just not good for the hull..and ditto for the swim platform...I swear I'm thinking of painting both those surfaces, is that a reasonable option?

Speakers- still have the factory original everything and if that worked, I would not have a problem. It has the controls at the helm and the swim platform (never worked), it has a separate 6 disc, over the TV area there is a big amp of some sort. Couple of the speakers have blue crap running out if they get wet and one by the map pocket I swear is a source for a cabin leak. Will they leak through that speaker material and at the least with the blue crap, time to just update? Still use the amp ? All the speakers seem to sound OK but if that one is leaking...

I have not addressed a trim issue. .it "works" but afraid it's going to strand me. 100 % electrical and will do some research.

Thanks for any input! Always pick up the tips here...

Comments

• GMSLITHOGMSLITHO Member Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭✭
    My cabin top was soft from a windshield leak so I drilled from the top and loaded it up with west system the repair is rock solid ... but I have to finish the top it was getting late in the season so i just put the boat in Ill paint  it in the fall with Total boat and let you know how it comes out ....I think if you paint it will seal up all the gelcoat and will be easier to keep clean ,the 2 part paint they have out now work great 
  • Dutch320Dutch320 Member Posts: 83 ✭✭
    When I brought my boat home from Maryland my front deck had horrible mold issues. I tried cleaning with the nonskid deck cleaner also, would kinda take care of the mold but a couple weeks later it was back. After a while I figured I had nothing to loose so I tried a 10 to 15% bleach solution. I used a spray bottle and saturated the deck and waited about 10 minutes, keeping it wet and scrubbed it with my deck brush and rinsed it really well. My boat was neglected so the mold came back at maybe 25% of previous level so I repeated the bleach treatment, that did it, two years mold free now. Followed up with Starbrite non skid deck wax, two coats, and the deck looks great now. I’m sure the bleach doesn't do a freshly waxed hull any good so maybe try it before you do the hull. 
  • LaReaLaRea Member Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2022
    A few years ago, chemical cleaners stopped working because the formulas were changed to reduce environmental impact.  Now I rely  entirely on pressure washing to clean the foredeck.  
    Post edited by LaRea on
  • skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
    Brush attachment on an orbital polisher and boat wash soap makes short work of cleaning the top deck and swim platform.  Trust me.
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,552 mod
    So, I get mold once a year or so and found the home armor  to work extremely well and not take off my wax on the hullsides when I rinse it off real well.  Spray it on and scrub it in a little, leave sit (but not dry) for just a couple minutes.  Great cheap stuff that actually works very well. 
    Mold Armor 32 oz. Mold and Mildew Killer and Quick Stain Remover FG502 - The Home Depot

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Dream_Inn , I love that stuff! 
    2008 330EC
  • rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    skennelly said:
    Brush attachment on an orbital polisher and boat wash soap makes short work of cleaning the top deck and swim platform.  Trust me.
    Oh it does...and I found one I could put on my regular buffer but did not have to break that out.  
    Got the deck cleaned up to an acceptable and front and back sprayed down with the starbright non skid wax (before I saw the bleach idea, thanks).
    I'm going to try and buff the color on the hull and throw some wax on the side, the covered interior looks pretty good.

So, the speakers are Sony xsmp62 and looks like a common marine speaker...which I know nothing about..specs say:
    6 1/2" 140W, 4 OHM. Woofer with a 2" tweeter.

I don't need to be the guy that pulls up that the radio causes its own wake..what is important to look for as replacement? I see others that don't say having the tweeters...some are 280 W, is higher number ok? 4 OHM, does that need to match up? Dual cones? I pulled the one speaker and poured water and it ran right through...the seal of the speaker material against the metal frame is not good and must be the cause of my mid ship  cabin leak- the other 3 if the leaked it would do into the bilge- the one by the map pocket would head right in there...
  • skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
    Ideally the speakers should closely match the RMS output of the amplifier for best performance but since you are probably not looking to be an audiophyle making sure the speaker wattage exceeds that of the amp is good.  4 ohm is the norm.  Subwoofers will get into 2 Ohm and amplifiers can drive more power into 2 Ohms.  Dual cone ect again are specifics that you probably won't be able to distinguish.
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
    edited September 2022
    What about the control for the helm and the swim platform...would there be compatible replacements?  Will clarion controls work on about anything? I guess most just replace the whole system and don't deal with this.  
    Post edited by rasbury on
    Well...little surprise on my discovery (I thought) of my leak source. So I was really convinced my leak is the speaker by that map pocket. It kind of lined up in my mind where it was coming out. I stripped everything off the helm area. .all the seating...all the contents of the storage behind the seat back of the bench next to the helm. Also, at the curve, that last section has storage under there for vests. Then on the port side seat at the transom, all cleaned out. My 270 has the dingy pck so that last transom bench has the indent for the motor and an unfortunate drain that hits the top of the motor..another issue...but should have painted the picture that the upper deck is stripped down so nothing would block water.. and not blow out of the boat from Ian.  For the suspect speaker,  I pulled it, put a plastic bag there and reinstalled and waited for the hurricane to pass confident I would not have a leak..which I did to much surprise. So the leak is ending up on the lower sealing of the mid ship berth.  I have it removed so it leaks and drips right by the window there....which was pulled and resealed. Other thing I notice, the storage compartment by the helm seat I stored the vests, at the curve is empty of water. We had nearly 15" of rain.  So, now testing....I started with the hose blasting that window  for the mid shio- zip. Also, that storage behind the seatback right by the helm- zip. Priblem with that now suspect storage (and the one in the back did not hold water either) water would have to run up hill to drip out where it's dripping...I need to get a level as I'm assuming it is not level and would drain the other way...does not leak with the camper or mooring covers ...I'm going to fill that storage and put some color dye in it to make sure it is new water showing up below. That storage has no visible drain or damage.
  • mbnarneymbnarney Member Posts: 105 ✭✭
    I am following this. Mine is a little older boat, but leaks in the same areas, Over the motor(found a drain hole there) and on the port side far rear of the mid berth. I don't have all the storage you do so I was thinking it may be a rail. Of course when the cabin step gets full of water it leaks into the cabin. I replaced all my speakers and didn't even think about them being a source. So now something else to check. 
    My speakers have deteriorated and the one really only poses a leak issue, potentially. I thought for sure I had it nailed down...
  • mbnarneymbnarney Member Posts: 105 ✭✭
    all mine were shot, But I never thought about sealing around them during the install. I am thinking about using 3m sealing tape. It can't hurt anything.
    It's not around the speaker grille- it's the material inside....
    Well, if nothing good came out of this hurricane...I don't think I would have noticed that compartment had a drain....and I guess when it is sitting on the trailer it may not drain right....or perhaps it just does not drain properly...or, perhaps the previous owner did not like it holding water and drilled a little drain hole in it...but, it was leaking at the bulkhead into the bilge...going right over the control box for the generator and that is all rusted...never could figure out how that happened...and what could not drain there quick enough, it was leaking into the interior...so if those holes were put there by Rinker and someone else is having a similar random leaks then I would urge to look and see if you have drains in dry compartments and then figure out where that water is going!
    I heard from someone in another thread and sounds like PO drilled the holes. He seemed to have a lot of noney..but not to smart.. 
    Came across something else I wanted to point out ..my 270 has a dingy package so it has the storage in the stern bench for a motor. It also has a vent, just like the blower vents. Never gave it much thought, seat is usually on it but it always seemed to have some water in there. PO drilled the backside of that compartment which looks ok- it drains into that edge around the hatch there to drain to the swim platform area. The "vent" however will drain right to the top of starboard exhaust elbow..which means it's getting all over the top of the motor. I noticed, and need to deal with some corrosion.  When I changed my cap and rotor I noticed that input shaft right at the base is rusting out. Not good- so I ordered a length of blower vent tubing which will attach and take any water to the bottom of the bilge.  If you have a similar setup I'm pretty sure there would have been a hose there to drain which was never on ours...