Options

Mercruiser 8.2L Sea Core

tbeckertbecker Member Posts: 10
My 2019 290EX has an 8.2l Sea Core engine that is overheating. I first checked, then added coolant and no issues for a few outings. Then last outing serious overheating and wouldn't cool down. The first few times the temp dropped when i went to idle. Not the last time, just kept getting hotter. I heard this engine might have an issue with the heat exchanger. anyone have any insight on this? thanks in advance!!

Comments

• Options
    earl1z19earl1z19 Member Posts: 333 ✭✭✭
    I would start with checking the condition if the raw water impellor, probably just change it out while you are in there. If its missing parts they may be in the heat exchanger. 
  • Options
    tbeckertbecker Member Posts: 10
    Thanks for the feedback. My mechanic says the placement of the impeller makes it impossible for him to get it out and will have to pull the engine to do so. This doesn't sound right, shouldn't the impeller be replaced every couple of years? 
  • Options
    skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
    Sometimes it can be that difficult.  You need to be a contortionist to get into places and if your mechanic isn't a slim man it might be that hard.  Marine engines are stuffed in their especially if you have twins.
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,907 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The placement is terrible but there's no way Rinker built the boat in such a way that the engine must be removed to replace the impeller.
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,797 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can you post a picture of your engine compartment for us to see?
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The engine room on the 290EX is the same as the 280EC. I have a small block, and I was able to get to the raw water pump. You need to squeeze down in there, but it can be done. If there is a genny in there, it could be more difficult. 
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,547 mod
    Get a second opinion from a different mechanic. 
  • Options
    PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sound like you need to find a taller, lankier and more flexible mechanic.   

I have a Bayliner and they would totally design a boat like that, with less than 6 inches clearance between my impeller housing and fuel tank I still replace mine without too much fuss.  
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,238 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2022
    My 270 is packed with a ginny over the fuel tank. You need a skinner mechanic...it's a bit(h!
    Post edited by raybo3 on
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,797 ✭✭✭✭✭
    WoW, @rasbury ! I didn’t know you have a generator on your 270. 
    2008 330EC