Options

Mercruiser Oil Filters

TonyG13TonyG13 Member Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭✭
edited September 2022 in Engine Discussions
If anyone is looking for Quicksilver Oil Filters (866340Q03) -- the cheapest place I just found them today was - GASP - West Marine for $13.99/each. Three bucks cheaper than Amazon and other "reliable" places. Some places had them cheaper, but I don't trust the sources, and my sister-in-law gave me a WM gift card so I'm using that. Bad part is they're twice the price from when I last bought some two years ago. Should have stocked up more back then.

Comments

• Options
    captkevincaptkevin Member Posts: 207 ✭✭
    I buy from local dealer. Basically same $$ as amazon. Much rather give it to local small business.
    2004 232
    2021 Yamaha Fx svho
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,557 mod
    @aero3113 I've ordered from Partvu several times with no issues.  Thanks for listing a decent price!

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dream_Inn said:
    @aero3113 I've ordered from Partvu several times with no issues.  Thanks for listing a decent price!
    Awesome!
    I looked up reviews (after I ordered) and they were all good. 👍🏻👍🏻
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    @aero3113 - Did you get your order yet?

West Marine just canceled mine saying "out of stock." And your place now also says out of stock.

Anybody know of an equivalent (other brand ) of filter for the Quicksilver #866340Q03?
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    Just found an oil filter cross reference site -

https://www.oilfilter-crossreference.com/convert/MERCRUISER/35-866340Q03

- which lists a whole lot of compatible filters.

Did a quick search on Amazon and they range from $7 for the Fram, to $11 for a Wix.

Any recommendations on which would be the best quality brand to get?
  • Options
    Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Get a WIX filter. They manufacturer the filters for some other brands most notably NAPA. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    Thanks @Aqua_Aura - Ordered a couple of Wix filters from Amazon before those go out of stock!
  • Options
    @TonyG13 , the shipment is supposed to arrive on Wednesday, I do have a UPS tracking number.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are the filters that I use. 

Quicksilver Oil Filter Hi-Efficiency https://a.co/d/h04F7ra
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    tricountytrailtricountytrail Member Posts: 186 ✭✭
    aero3113 said:
    I had 4 in my cart great price! was shopping for oil and they sold out along with most other sources for the filters. lol
  • Options
    Dutch320Dutch320 Member Posts: 83 ✭✭
    Amazon has the Wix alternative for a good price, this one is for synthetic oils but they also have the non XP version. 
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    Which wix would you use for semi-synthetic?

• Options
    Dutch320Dutch320 Member Posts: 83 ✭✭
    Not sure, they don’t seem to specify. The 57099 is for conventional oil and the XP is for synthetic. Semi synthetic might be a bi oil and could be used with either. Maybe the XP is a better filter because of the longer oil change intervals common with synthetic oil?, contaminates are contaminates 
  • Options
    Received them today 

2008 330EC
  • Options
    Dream_Inn said:
    Someone can correct please if I'm wrong. I really don't think it matters. The XP filters usually just have better filter media and possibly better back flow prevention but really you're paying for the better filter media. I always just buy the best filter available for whatever I am working on. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    Pat310Pat310 Member Posts: 530 ✭✭✭
    Found this on XP filters:

XP, the third oil filter line manufactured by WIX, is available through independent auto parts dealers and warehouse distributors. According to Chilton, XP filters are ideal for vehicles subject to: • Towing trailers, boats and heavy equipment.
  • Options
    Pat310Pat310 Member Posts: 530 ✭✭✭
    Also found this on synthetic oil filters:
    Can you use a synthetic oil filter with regular oil?
    Yes, it's perfectly safe to use either type of filter with either type of oil. If you practice extended drain intervals using synthetic oil, however, a conventional oil filter may not offer the required service life, meaning you'll have to change it in the middle of the oil drain interval, which is inconvenient.
  • Options
    Dream_Inn said:
    Thought the same thing and tried to dig into it a little more. The Wix XP package says "designed for synthetic oils" -- but does specifically exclude dino or blended oil. And if you read their warranty, again nothing saying you can only use synthetic.

There are lots of automotive sites asking the same question and most of the mechanic sites say it shouldn't affect anything using blended oils.

I guess I'll be a Guinea pig because the XP was the same price as the regular version on Amazon so I ordered two XPs. So I'll see if I notice any difference. 
  • Options
    I am going to stick with the Mercury/Quicksilver Hi-Efficiency filters. They have been good to me over the years. @Michael T is the one that got me using those filters. 
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    Thanks everyone!  I ordered 2 of the WIX XP filters to use with my semi-synthetic.  I'm sure it will be fine.

• Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2022
    Yes, @Cableguy Greg! There is a massive difference between various filter brands. I'd rather use a baby diaper than a Fram filter. Many filters have crap filter media that enters the oil stream, others clog quickly and by-pass dirty oil. Mercruiser synthetic specific filters are among the best in the world (if not the best) and, imo, worth every penny. Wix will do, if Mercruiser is not available, as they are decent. A while back we had a very lengthy discussion on this topic right on this forum. We got deep into molecular filtration, change frequency etc. I believe at one point I mentioned i had an uncle who was a Vice-President and chemist at Shell Oil responsible for new product development. His biggest annoyance was people who had expensive engines, used high quality oils (synthetics) and then spun-on crap oil filters. Again, I believe Mercruiser filters are the best possible product for our Mercruiser engines - by FAR - if you can get them....and yes @TonyG13 I'd definitely stock-up on some frequently used boating consumables as supply chains have become erratic. Where I live a local parts supplier ran out of Stabil winterizing additive - really a shortage of Stabil???? I had already stocked-up so I was OK but it IS getting crazy out there! Best to all my boating brothers! MT

• Options
    Who makes the Mercury/quicksilver filters?

There is a good video I found on YouTube where they cut apart about 5 different filters and went over them in depth. I can't remember if I posted it on here before. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,546 mod
    Michael T said:
    ... I'd rather use a baby diaper than a Fram filter. ...
    @Michael T you crack me up.  Been a long day and I needed that!

And I've often wondered whether filters care about synth vs. dino, but never looked it up.  So I learned a thing today.  
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2022
    @LaRea....my answer would be absolutely yes. IMO a filter that would be fine for dino oil (which we all know is, at least, now a semi-synthetic for EPA) has a different molecular structure and performance than higher end (better base stock and additive stocks - like class lll, IV and V) and waaay different from top synthetics like Mercruiser and Mobil 1. Synthetic oils with their long chain polymers that couple at higher heat ranges really need proper filtration from a filter dedicated to their chemical and physical profile. At some point in a previous discussion someone (maybe me) posted information on the micron range of Mercruiser high efficiency filters. They were very specifically tailored to work with high end synthetic and semi-synthetic oils - especially those Mercruiser had formulated for them. Back "in the day" I also has discussions with Rocky and some of the guys who used to work at former Merc engine assembly plant in Stillwater Oklahoma and Rocky said Mercruiser oils and filters were like Kenmore Appliances from Sears. Sears took good brands then specified proprietary, to Sears, upgrades that were not available to any other manufacturer and that is what Mercruiser did with its oils and filters. Mercruiser engineers were obsessed with oil and oil filter performance. I imagine when Mercruiser started completely building their engines, blocks and all, they became even more specific with oils and filters. I am on a auto forum and can't understand why guys with high performance engines shop filters at Walmart. That part is so absolutely critical to engine life why try to save ten bucks on it?
  • Options
    mattiemattie Member Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭✭
    Like me the Mercury Marine filters. Paint matches the motors....that's worth the extra $10 bucks.

246BR, 276BR, H310BR current
  • Options
    earl1z19earl1z19 Member Posts: 333 ✭✭✭
    mattie said:
    Like me the Mercury Marine filters. Paint matches the motors....that's worth the extra $10 bucks.

What label maker did you use on the label?
  • Options
    mattiemattie Member Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭✭
    @earl1z19
    Brother PT-M95 
    Works great. 4xAAA batts. 
    Very clear & legible. 
    246BR, 276BR, H310BR current
  • Options
    mattie said:
    @earl1z19
    Brother PT-M95 
    Works great. 4xAAA batts. 
    Very clear & legible. 
    You need some black tape with white letters. 
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,907 ✭✭✭✭✭

2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay