Cables on out drive

rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
Well...I guess some time back when I was touching up my out drive, there are 4 short little cables that I guess ground each major outdrive component? I took off ends where I wanted to paint...apparently lost the screws and always figured I'd get them...and forgot. What exactly are they? Would the screws be aluminum? I'm looking on parts sites and can't seem to find them...

Comments

• YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2023
    You mean the grounding cables that go to the trim rams etc? They are held in place with a stubby stainless steel screw. You should be able to find them in the parts catalog under "Continuity Kit".

Post edited by YYZRC on
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,776 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @rasbury you’re lucky you got the screws out in one piece. I’ve seen them snap leaving the shank behind. Happened to me once on my 242, I ended up drilling a new hole next to it and tapping for a new screw. Don’t know how critical they are but made me feel better that it was back on. 
    2008 330EC
  • rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh I did not mention one did break off? I don't even see where it goes nor the other two- they must be an aluminum screw...so yes, I have one to drill if I can find the layout where they go..
    @YYZRC, those...I did not look on the trim rams...maybe that is where the other 2 go, I'll look! I would have thought a problem with the aluminum vs stainless?
    edited February 2023
    Here’s a pic of the underside of the transom assembly. There are 3 continuity cables. One to each trim ram and one to the bottom of the gimbal. 

I couldn’t get a good pic of where the cables attach to the trim rams, sorry. 

There's also another continuity cable that goes from the bell housing to the gimbal.
    Thanks @Pat310 I have never looked on their site...if the screws are stainless I will figure out the thread and hit the hardware store...thanks for the I put. Maybe their site will show where they go.
    edited February 2023
    So...grabbed a few screws out of my assortment to see if I can figure out the thread...first one I tried felt real good..it's an sluminum post of some sort, not much of a head on it. Screws in but won't unscrew...so now it is stuck. Between this and the bilge,  I think I'm done for the day
     Plus, the temps are dipping...must be down to 70 by now....brrrrrr....
    The aluminum is so soft you don’t need to worry about tapping the new hole. Just drill a new hole next to the broken off screw that’s 1/32nd smaller than the new screw thread and run with it. Use a 3/8” or 1/2” max length stainless screw. It is always more successful if you apply some oil or lube in the hole before you screw it. 
    I will give that a try- thanks all for the info and this I hope to get done tomorrow...I need a win with some of these projects!
    @YYZRC- still have not gotten this completed as I have several little projects I'm wrapping up. For what ever reason I seem to have more of these straps than you do-

I have been all over the rams I can't figure those two out- but have not been underneath...do you recall where they attached? The only thing I can guess with the ram off, there is a bracket for the one trim line on the inside side of each ram , plus the islet for two dangling straps are larger. 

I'm going to have to pull the rams anyway to get the water out of the system plus something is making a God awful noise from one of the rams. I though one of the anodes were crudded up enough to cause a bind but I pulled them...
    edited February 2023
    This pic is from eBay. I circled where the continuity wire attaches to the ram. The seller cut the cable. 

I believe @LaRea had some rams for sale. Might want to reach out to him rather than fussing with yours.
    Thanks @YYZRC- might be right. I don't know how long water has been in the system and what problems that might have caused. That picture confirmed what I thought. You'd think I could swing that last wire around and in that circle I'd find a hole for it...
    Good thing I took the rams off to secure two of the wires.  The anchor pin has two thick snap rings- one is broken.....things happen for a reason...
    And...once I pulled the anodes off..the starboard ram at the end it looks like stuff is pushing out...used sets of two on ebay for a quarter of a boat buck...