Buying every non running small outboard LOL

dspandspan Member Posts: 23 ✭✭
I decided to see if it was worth buying a bunch of not running outboards near me on FB Marketplace and Craigslist.  In the last two weeks I have about 14 outboards and I am documenting everything.  If you are bored, check it out on Youtube search for “Parts Cannon Garage” which is what I decided to call it.  I am an amateur at best so don’t get your hopes up lol.

Comments

• Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,552 mod
    I’ve begun working on outboards just a little this past year when we bought my son’s boat that has a 2000 Johnson 200hp.  Definitely learning quite a bit.  Are the motors you have smaller or various?

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's a guy up @Willhound 's way that collects, rebuilds and resells outdrives. I imagine there's some pretty good $$ in that if you have the space.
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • mattiemattie Member Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭✭
    Might be a good idea to gather up small gasoline engine stuff. 
    If everything goes electric - gonna be like Mad Max out there.

lol
    246BR, 276BR, H310BR current
  • randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a neighbor that buys small outboards running or not, sells parts off them as a side gig. He makes money.
    Boat Name : 

• dspandspan Member Posts: 23 ✭✭
    Interesting, so this is not really a new idea,
    but it is pretty fun, especially because I know very little about small outboards.

Trying a link;

https://youtu.be/9WUN3RTgpV0
  • YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It’s all fun until a carburetor enters the chat. 
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,552 mod
    So I had a little task for my son to dig into my two small outboards (3.3 hp Merc & 8 hp Evinrude).  I said to figure out what plugs and water pump they both need & check my stash of parts.  Good learning for him as well and time to replace.  Well, he found the evinrude was leaking around what we discovered was the thermostat.  So, we put a new gasket on with a little form a gasket too.  The merc looked good but the evinrude needed some plugs.  He also ran his 200hp Johnson today.  I still know why he called his boat smoke show😉

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

YYZRC said:
    It’s all fun until a carburetor enters the chat. 
    I am getting that on a t-shirt LOL
    Dream_Inn said:
    So I had a little task for my son to dig into my two small outboards (3.3 hp Merc & 8 hp Evinrude).  I said to figure out what plugs and water pump they both need & check my stash of parts.  Good learning for him as well and time to replace.  Well, he found the evinrude was leaking around what we discovered was the thermostat.  So, we put a new gasket on with a little form a gasket too.  The merc looked good but the evinrude needed some plugs.  He also ran his 200hp Johnson today.  I still know why he called his boat smoke show😉
    Smoke show is a great boat name, and I am sure that smoky Johnson helps keep the mosquitos down,
    so it is really a “hybrid”.  :)
  • Rich_Rich_ Member Posts: 125 ✭✭
    New engine is here. Old 70 two stroke goes to the engine pile in the back of the shop with all intentions of resurrection, but reality is it probably gets parted out. The crank counterweight is scraping on the case and not sure if the bearing is shot or the crank is twisted. 

2002 180      Eastern LI, NY
  • rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gas engines are going to around for a long time. Electric has been around for a very long time. Look at submarines during wwll- so the tech is hardly new. Boats at theme parks etc...and who knows what will happen in between. Cool stuff!
    Rich_ said:
    New engine is here. Old 70 two stroke goes to the engine pile in the back of the shop with all intentions of resurrection, but reality is it probably gets parted out. The crank counterweight is scraping on the case and not sure if the bearing is shot or the crank is twisted. 

So sad if that gets parted out, I love Yamaha outboards!  :(
    rasbury said:
    Gas engines are going to around for a long time. Electric has been around for a very long time. Look at submarines during wwll- so the tech is hardly new. Boats at theme parks etc...and who knows what will happen in between. Cool stuff!
    Stay tuned for my next “hybrid” build, 4 trolling motors plus one gas motor, it’s happening!
  • Lake_BumLake_Bum Member Posts: 918 ✭✭✭✭
    Some of the best times in my life, were spent on Lake Powell, with an old Evinrude 135 outboard on a 1974 Starcraft aluminum Deep V runabout.  I look back, and mixing everything at 50/1 would be such an inconvenience these days, but it was just part of it all back then!  
    I love your project! 
    2000 Captiva 232 

just dropped my newest video, trying my hand at acting in the last two vids, it is completely embarrassing to watch, please comment in the video if you can, apparently that helps the channel for some reason but I don’t know why specifically haha

thank you for all the support, advice and harassment LOL, really appreciate it

https://youtu.be/0NIgE3GcxLM

• Rich_Rich_ Member Posts: 125 ✭✭
    dspan said:

So sad if that gets parted out, I love Yamaha outboards!  :(
    The old 2 stroke 70 had a very good run. Was bought new in 1993 and lasted until last Labor Day. Used many years as a ski boat, tender to the big boat, and general WOT cruises. It definitely did not have an easy life but would always run until went to take the kids tubing and was making a scraping sound internally. Towed home and upon further inspection found one of the crank counterweights scraping the case. Not sure if it was a bearing or twisted but parts to rebuild were not worth the cost. Was going to put a power head on it but while separating it wound up snapping bolts that were in critical spots so wound up with a new 4 stroke
    2002 180      Eastern LI, NY
    snapped bolts is no fun, thanks for the thorough explanation
    Does anyone have any experience filming in their garage?  I am going to clean up my little shop and make it better for filming.  People are giving me feedback that I should be always facing the camera and not keep leaving the frame to get tools, etc.  I am looking for layout ideas that would include a rolling toolbox, my lighting system (just a tall lamp), my rolling workbench, my outboard stand and the ability to roll my testing water barrel in and out.

Perhaps pictures of effective layouts or links to videos.
  • aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @dspan I found some for you!

2008 330EC
    Is that the place at Disney,  Wow is thar nice!?!?!?
  • Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭✭
    If you've ever watched 2 guys garage on TV that might be a good reference. On YouTube I watch deboss garage, car wizard and project farm. Those channels might be a good reference. 

So far your videos are showing great promise 😊
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • LaReaLaRea Member Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    dspan said:
    ... People are giving me feedback that I should be always facing the camera and not keep leaving the frame to get tools, etc.  ...
    You could have multiple cameras recording the entire session.  Then, in editing, you could cut back and forth between cameras depending on which one has the best view.  But that gets into a lot of time and money.  

To get the biggest bang for the buck, buy some cheap LED photography lights.  Light is your friend and shadows are your enemy.  Amazon has them starting around $50.  They aren't sturdy enough for travel, but would be fine for your needs.  Maybe spend a bit extra for a set with battery power so it's easier to move them around as needed.  
  • aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭✭✭
    dspan said:
    Is that the place at Disney,  Wow is thar nice!?!?!?
    Yes, it is.
    2008 330EC
  • rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    While I shudder at what the cost is to get in the door, bang for your buck there is no better money spent. Always been that way, they do an awesome job at the parks with their people and the facilities.
    For anyone you know that have any children with disabilities, each park area has its own "medical center" which includes a nurse, several private rooms and a bathroom you can actually take care of business in. I was very impressed...I have not eaten in the boat house- I'm usually walking with a big ol turkey leg before I get that far in the park!