Best Wishes Randy!

Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
It was a sad day for me to learn that Randy Rinker is no longer representing our beloved Rinkers at Nautic Global Group. I have had conversations with Randy on and off for over 20 years. I have always found him to be a decent and honest man who represented his family's boating business fairly and professionally. I guess that leaves no Rinker family members representing the original company. Randy, if you see this may you enjoy, your family time, good health, prosperity and fair seas. All the best! Michael T
Post edited by Michael T on

Comments

• Mike_GMike_G Member Posts: 258 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2014

Yeah.. I heard about that a few days ago now.  Randy was guiding me through my current boat woes.  Rinker still has my boat, but I don't think they've done anything to it yet.  Roger and Terri have no idea what is going on at this point.  That's not a dig on them, Randy was a busy guy.. it's going to be a heck of a transition I'm sure.

I am working with Terri and Roger now, trying to catch everyone up to speed.  So far, they have been VERY attentive (emailing me back at 9PM even, just a few minutes after I have emailed them!).

For now, Roger can field calls and emails, but Terri Gipson is handling Rinker Warranty and is officially Randy's replacement.  Terri has been handling all of the Hurricane branded boat warranty stuff for many years, so at least she is well versed in boats and boat warranty issues.  So far she has been very good.  I am confident that they will keep things rolling for me (cautiously optimistic). ;-)

-=Mike G.

2014 Rinker 260EC

• Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,550 mod
    All that hard work, at some point it is time to enjoy more family time!  Good luck and thanks for making a great boat!

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2014
    I believe Terri's last name is Gibson. MT

Nope.. her signature and her email address says Gipson (with a "p").  She has emailed me a few times now. -=Mike G.

2014 Rinker 260EC

edited November 2014
     RinkerYan said:
    I don't know how old he was but he probably saw the ship sinking. 

I sure hope the "ship's" not sinking! ...  Rinker has sold quite a lot of boats recently, and their boats are really nice!  Hideaway alone has sold a LOT of 310s this year, and a few 360s I believe.  They also sold several 260s this year, and lots of 276's and 246s.  Not sure about the 290s, but they had two at the fall boat show that sold.

Just curious.. what makes you think the ship is "sinking"?  Quality issues?  I haven't heard of that many going back to the dealer this year from around here (Lake. St. Clair area).  When mine had to be sent back, I posted and searched a multitude of message boards and called several Rinker dealers asking about quality issues.  The general consensus was that they are a very good mid-tier boat. ???  Maybe it's just hopeful thinking on my part since I just bought a new one?  :o

-=Mike G.

2014 Rinker 260EC

edited November 2014
    Mike, You are correct. I had to listen to her name on the company directory several times. But it did sound like Gipson. Thanks, MT 
    Michael T said:
    Mike, You are correct. I had to listen to her name on the company directory several times. But it did sound like Gipson. Thanks, MT 

Hey.. no prob.!  Finally I get to provide some info to the board instead of just leeching from everyone! lol  -=Mike G.

2014 Rinker 260EC

edited November 2014
    Mike, I wanted to be sure of her name as I was passing it on to someone for warranty purposes and you don't want to get the name of your warranty contact wrong for that first conversation! I owe you one for making me look good (not an easy task!) Thanks :-) MT
    LOL!

2014 Rinker 260EC

• StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    Did SeaRay change names when Connie Ray left?

He is the part of the name sake of the marina we dock at, MacRay Harbor.

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• LaReaLaRea Member Posts: 7,503 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hopefully, Randy will read this or the moderators will pass it along.  Randy, thanks for many years of great customer service and great boats.  I wish you success in whatever comes next for you.
  • pepmysterpepmyster Member Posts: 308 ✭✭✭
    Randy, Thank you from the bottom of my heart for all the times you took to answer my boring questions. Only the best to you and your family!

All I've wanted was to just have fun.

• MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good luck Randy.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• TonyWalkerTonyWalker Member Posts: 744 ✭✭✭
    Randy, you will be missed by the forum for your expertise.  Best wishes to you.  Check in once in a while.
  • raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,455 admin
    All the best to you and your family Randy....
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • MIKES342MIKES342 Member Posts: 182 ✭✭✭

Mike,

Have they taken care of your boat?

edited November 2014

No... not yet.  I have not heard back from them either. :(  Terri sent an email to the factory requesting a status.  I can only assume that she hasn't heard back yet.  I am going to email her tomorrow and see if she knows anything.

I also specifically asked to make sure it was either covered if outside, or kept inside.  No feedback on that, not even saying that they would verify.  I know that she spoke with someone at Hideaway, so I'm going to call them tomorrow and see if anyone is there that knows anything.

There was a list of 12 things that needed to be addressed (two of them being pretty major I think).  Other than replacing the compass (Hideaway replaced that when we prepped it for shipping) I don't know if any of it has been done yet.  So far, I will say that Randy was more responsive, although I'm not sure if anything was done while he was on watch either.  He did email and call me back more frequently... even if he didn't have information yet.

It's winter, so if it's being stored correctly, I don't really mind "too" much (yet).  Like I told them... the boat was in brand new condition when I sent it to them (used 3 times and detailed for 1 - 2 hours after each use).  I expect it to be in "brand new" condition when I get it back, not left outside and then "detailed" as there could be hidden mold or nastiness and wear and tear on the boat.  I also don't want the vinyl or other stuff to be degraded due to harsh cleaners or anything.

Believe me, I will be inspecting everywhere before it is shipped back.  Engine bay, under cushions, in cabinets, under cup holders, under the trash bin, etc.

-=Mike G.

Post edited by Mike_G on

2014 Rinker 260EC

edited November 2014

BTW..  I just wanted to say that I'm still positive about everything getting taken care of.  I hope that I'm not being ignorant on this.  -=Mike G.

2014 Rinker 260EC

• MIKES342MIKES342 Member Posts: 182 ✭✭✭
    I am sure they will take care of all of it.  They did on mine.  They even winterized it after they repaired it.  It came back in the same  condition that they received it.
    edited November 2014

So she emailed me back shortly after I emailed her.  She said it is covered and that she will email me back once she hears from "production".  I had been a week since she emailed them already.  I'm betting they are concentrating on finishing up new boats right now.

Hey also... sorry for my rambling on my previous post.  It was late and I was still a little "partied up" lol.  Not as much self control in my posting. ;)

Also... I feel like this should be Randy's thread not mine, so I'll post an update in a new thread once I get more info.  WE MISS YA RANDY!!!  -=Mike G.

2014 Rinker 260EC

• unikguyunikguy Member Posts: 36 ✭✭

huge loss for Rinker Boats. Randy was a great guy and knew his stuff. Lots of people skills. He knew how to stand behind the brand "rinker" and make ownership of our rinker boats a pleasure and non-regretful.

especially in some areas, they don't have proper representation. so you have to go get other techs to get the warranty work done. But he was very helpful. he will be missed.

Mikegloomis, what are your issues, that required your boat to go back to factory, if i understood correctly.

randy, best wishes to you and your family. hope all goes well for you. I know you will succeed in your next gig. you will be missed. and a big thank-you for the  5-star service I received from you on my 2013 360ec 8.2l axius seacore.  I was 1000% satisfied with your service on my great and wonderful boat.

• rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    10-4 Randy, not much else to add, the group said it pretty well!
  • Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I must have missed the reason he left Rinker..retiring??

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
    unikguy said:

Mikegloomis, what are your issues, that required your boat to go back to factory, if i understood correctly.

I don't really want to go into the issues.  I am going to take the high-road for now, as I am still confident that everything will be fixed.

I will agree that Randy provided 5-star customer relations while I was dealing with him.  It is too bad he chose to leave.  If he feels like saying what happened, I'm sure he will.  In reality he probably "can't", or he's choosing to take the high-road, like myself.

I think the problem for me right now is that "production" is concentrating on getting the 2015's done.  Once the first run is done, I think they'll take care of my boat.  Several different areas of production are going to have to work on my boat for the various issues.  I think that's another reason for the delays in my case.

Rinker boats really are great boats.  Built well and nice designs.  I think mine must have been made on a Friday right before the end of the day. ;)  -=Mike G.

2014 Rinker 260EC

• melvynmelvyn Member Posts: 19 ✭✭
    Happy to see him go company will do better without him. Mybe buy another rinker now  Randy gone 
    edited January 2015
    melvyn said:
    Happy to see him go company will do better without him. Mybe buy another rinker now  Randy gone 

Wow!  Strong statement.  I assume you have some insight?  Everyone on the forums, from what I have seen in my limited time here, had good things to say about him.  My limited experience seemed to be good while he was there (of course, I guess it had been 6 weeks that they had my boat and nothing had been done...)

I am curious as to the foundation of your comment.  I am new to the Rinker family, so I do not have any history...  would you care to elaborate?  -=Mike G.

2014 Rinker 260EC

• Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mike_G. I will tell you that when he was presented with a very serious safety issue that I found on my boat( and others too) he never responded. Yours was a lucky case I guess. 
  • rowboat212rowboat212 Member Posts: 74 ✭✭
    Mike_g, Melvyn came in here some time last year with nothing but foul things to say, but never once elaborated on his issue.... Instead, we kept hearing "trust me"... No doubt there are issues with our rigs, just as there are issues with any rig anywhere at any given time... Constructively discussing is one thing, but bashing quite another, especially when grounds aren't provided. Issues others have faced (even MT had issues that needed resolve) have been presented fairly, just as yours have, but Melvyn is the only one to be bashing while never discussing the actual issue.
  • raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,455 admin
    I would assume its like any thing. Some people have one opinion and others have theirs. You cant make everyone happy no matter what you do. Its that simple. Now from what I have heard, it seems Randy was a pretty good guy however I have never dealt with him. If anyone wants to post an issue then post it but I really do not see a reason to trample one somebody that we do not have to deal with any more..... Just say'n......   
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • rowboat212rowboat212 Member Posts: 74 ✭✭
    Character is on display in trying times, not when there's smooth sailing... Mike G has handled himself with class. Melvyn hasn't. Respect where respect is due. I've got some complaints as well, but I bought a second hand boat and have no excuses. Whatever Randy is doing and where ever that may be, he did well in this economy lately, where something SOMETHING. Somewhere had to give, either production or quality, in order to compete... Cutting production makes prices too high... Cutting quality kills brands... I don't know that either has happened, but instead we're just seeing the attitude of American workers putting those things together... That is happening everywhere... Which makes me happy to have a 2009 truck instead of a new one... I won't even consider purchase of a new truck until workers attitudes (attributable to pay and benefits) is improved... Something for nothing, which is what the production guys have been enjoying for a while, kills moral, which kills quality... Taking pride in production is another thing.. that needs to return.
This discussion has been closed.