Options

big orange filter for 342 rinker placement

Has anyone  install a BIG ORANGE  filter in a 342 RINKER or similar boat .i see the hose going to outside the vent  ,the other end disappeers  along the wall .i cannot see my holding tank.  its a 2006  tks for your input.

Comments

• Options
    frenchshipfrenchship Member Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭
    The vent would be on top of your tank or on the side near the top. I you have access to your vent hose you can cut it and install your big orange in line.
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How many tanks do you see in your engine compartment? You should have a fresh water tank and a holding tank (dirty/black water inside). The other clue will be to follow the pump out line to the tank. The vent line will be at the top.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    HamdogHamdog Member Posts: 247 ✭✭
    I have a 2005 342 and the Big Orange filter. The holding tank is on the Port side. To access, you have to lie down inside the storage compartment adjacent to the helm seat, underneath the cushion that curves. It will be pretty much flush with the engine room firewall. There is a round access hole in the floor of the storage area. Unscrew the covering and you should be able to see it. My filter is mounted inside the storage area right above the access hole with the lines going over the top edge. Hope this helps. Just change the filter once a year.
    "Wetted" Bliss 2005 Rinker 342 - Black Hull - Twin Mercruiser 350 Mags - BIII's
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2015
    ++ To Hamdog on the installation.  Something to watch is the vent line size coming off the tank...the fitting on mine (2003 342) was a smaller diameter than the tubing and they just used the worm clamp to try to squash it on which did not work and was part of the reason I kept getting smell inside the boat, I just replaced the tubing and used an adapter to get the right sizes on.  It is well worth installing, it totally solved the smell problem.  Install pic is attached.  The white tube at the bottom is just a spacer to keep it vertical.

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    SERENDIPITYSERENDIPITY Member Posts: 83 ✭✭
    IS IT POSSIBLE  THAT THE COMPARTMENT IS TOTALLY SEALED AT THE TOP  FOR THE 2006 242 MODEL? ILL LOOK FOR THE ACCESS  ROUND PANEL  ON THE TOP OF THAT BENCHTKS
  • Options
    I would doubt it...this is under the port seating in the cockpit on my 2003 342.

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    I was able to lay in the storage space on the port side then reach over toward the hull and find the vent hose.  I ended up cutting it and adding a couple feet with barbed double males. My Big Orange lives is basically the same spot that BD pictured.

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Options
    EaglesNestEaglesNest Member Posts: 30 ✭✭
    Guys,  great pics and idea for my weekend project. I have an 05 342.
  • Options
    A big thank you to those who responded .i took a second look and did find the hose from the  side bench  .tks again
  • Options
    job is done  tks for your help/comments
  • Options
    redlightningredlightning Member Posts: 284 ✭✭✭
    just got my big orange filter.  probably will install tomorrow evening.
    2011Sea Ray 450 Twin 8.2’s Bravo III Sterndrive
    2012 390 Sea Ray Twin 8.2’s Inboard - Sold
    2008 330 Express Cruiser - Sold
  • Options
    WildboatingWildboating Member Posts: 957 ✭✭✭
    Mine is here too.  Is the placement location shown in the well under the seat on the port side?  Are there any other hoses there that I may confuse for the vent line?
    2003 Rinker 342 Fiesta Vee, 350 Mag MPI, Bravo 3 2.20:1 w/ 22p 4 x4 props

• Options
    Yes, under the port side seating. Crawl in and you can see the vent line. Nothing to confuse it with. 

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    davidbrooksdavidbrooks Member Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭✭
    @Black_Diamond just bought a BO filter and was going to head down to do the install.  I was wondering about the best place to install it and if i needed any additional parts.  I see you added a small bracket and off the top of your head do you remember adapter that you bought do you?  I had to replace the sensor in my tanks last year and am not relishing getting back in the storage area.
    It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere!
  • Options
    The bracket is just a piece of 90 degree aluminum. Maybe 8” long. Attached to the tub back wall under the port seating, it is flimsy so use fender washers to back it up.  

The vent line fitting coming off the tank was smaller than the tube size needed for the Big Orange AND the thru hull fitting. Some brainchild at the factory just tried to squish the tube on with the worm clamp. You may/may not have this issue. I put in the correct tube dia off the tank fitting, then used a barbed adapter to change over to the correct tube size. I did use the white head tubing meant for sanitation. 

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options

That tube at the bottom is just a stand off to keep it vertical due to how I mounted it. 

110% solved my odor issues.  

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    Thanks all.  Installed mine on Sunday.  Not a really fun job.  I am not getting thinner and that compartment is not getting wider.  Add to it that we were getting dumped on with rain and the boat was rocking like crazy....toss in the fumes once you pull off the vent hose.  Got to one point that from the rocking and the fumes i thought i was getting seasick. Had to make a run to Home Depot for a few bolts and washers to finish it up... and get some fresh air.  It is in and working well.  I put mine in similar to Black Diamond but just up towards the top of the storage container vs the middle as he did.  Oh and a chair footing 3/4 in fits perfectly on that nub vs a piece of hose.  
  • Options
    McGarnicleMcGarnicle Member Posts: 242 ✭✭✭
    Sorry to bring back an old thread, I plan on installing the Big Orange on my 04 342 but does anyone know if there is a filter installed OEM? My buddy with an 04 as well said there is one in the engine bay pretty much stuffed in the gunnel and hard to reach. 
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,332 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Your buddy is right, in my 06 it is on the port side, in front of the generator, and way way up. Like above the generator fuel shut off. if you search the forum I’ve posted pics of it and it’s location. 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    Older Rinkers did not get a filter.  I put mine in the storage under the port side cockpit seat.

• Options
    McGarnicleMcGarnicle Member Posts: 242 ✭✭✭
    @stodge this is what I kept reading and thought my 04 was in the same category but my buddy with an 04 342 as well swears he has one it was just a big PITA to change it. At first glance in my engine compartment I couldn’t find one though. 

Either way I’m going to add a big orange filter under neath the portside seating, after seeing what you and Black_Diamond did, I’m just wondering if it’s worth the effort trying to find an existing one.

• Options
    @McGarnicle There should be a deck plate in the bottom of the port side storage.  I want to say it will let you see the top of the tank.  I did the all the work from inside the storage space, which is pretty large.  I was able to trace the vent tube from the hull, down toward the tank.  Crawl in and take a look.  :)

• Options
    My 03 342 did NOT have a filter.  It does now.  I just put in a Big O filter last month.  Well worth it.  @Stodge is right.  It helps if you have long arms.  
  • Options
    mikejudd65mikejudd65 Member Posts: 25 ✭✭
    reviving and old thread , want to install BO Filter on my '04 342 but my body wont fit in the storage under port seating, any reason why these are not installed in engine compartment firewall ? I've seen videos of other boat brands that have them installed in engine compartment, thanks in advance!
    "Next Adventure" 2004 Rinker Fiesta Vee 342 , FWC Horizon Mercs, Blue Imron Hull