new boater here

bstrange1300bstrange1300 Member Posts: 7
Hello everyone and thanks for letting me aboard. I have just purchased my first boat. That being said I really didn't know much about my 99 captiva when I got it. It has everything I was looking for in a boat. Well after looking everything over more thoroughly when I got her home, I noticed that I have a problem. Both of the exhaust manifolds are cracked. Basically I understand it has to be fixed. Really looking for some advice on where to start looking. I feel it's something that I can accomplish myself but don't know where to look for the parts. The seller told me to contact him if I have any problems. Would it be fair to ask him for help with the cost? Thanks in advance. 

Comments

• LaReaLaRea Member Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    One place to start is boats.net, which is pretty good for looking up part numbers based on your engine serial number (or year/model).  Once you find the part number, shop around (local shops, ebay, iboats.com, etc).    

Did the seller make any representations in writing about the mechanical health of the boat?  If not, you're probably out of luck on getting him to help on a 26-year-old boat.  But it wouldn't hurt to ask. Also, he might have a good local source for risers.

Welcome to the forum!
  • bstrange1300bstrange1300 Member Posts: 7
    Thanks for the information. We did not put it in writing so I guess I'm out of luck. Sometimes trusting people doesn't always work out. 
  • Dan4754Dan4754 Member Posts: 80 ✭✭
    Is it something you could or should have noticed on the test drive?

I noticed some water had gathered when we removed the plug but didn't think much about it. I was just going over everything and noticed a little bit of rust on the bottom side of the manifold and traced it to a crack. I should have paid more attention. 
    I gave found the serial number on the engine but having trouble finding parts. At boats.net is said the number is invalid. However it pops up on another site but they don't offer the manifolds. Any other suggestions? 
    Do you think it's possible that the seller didn't know either?
    I truly believe he did not know either. 
    Good...i like to think that people are inherently honest.
    At the same time..."As is, where is"

I figure that I will still let him know about the problem. I have to contact him when I get it transferred this week anyhow. Maybe he will help or maybe not. Either way I can't wait to get her in the lake.
    With the information from you folks, I have managed to find my part numbers. I went with hge brand because they are about the only aftermarket producer. The best price I found was at Michigan Motorz. Nice, friendly, and helpful people. Also the seller has agreed to split the cost of everything. Thanks again for the input! 
  • Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,552 mod
    Good luck and I have bought many things from MI Motorz, definitely a good place to deal with!  Good luck on your install  and welcome to the forum!

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express