outdrive slipping??

ceverley00ceverley00 Member Posts: 12
New to boating. I have a 2002 captiva 232 cuddy with a 350 mag and bravo 3 outdrive. I was taking off earlier today and the rpms went higher than usual for the amount of throttle I gave it, then about 15 seconds later the rpms dropped to normal and the boat took off like I hit another gear. I would compare it to a clutch slipping in a vehicle. Any ideas on what it could be? Thanks in advance

Comments

• MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Was your drive all the way down?

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• ceverley00ceverley00 Member Posts: 12
    It was all the way down. I stopped momentarily to look at something then took off again and it slipped for roughly 10 seconds. Didn't do it again the rest of the day
  • MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did you hear the drive engage when you took it out big neutral.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

I had the radio on so I didn't notice any noises when I engaged the drive. Just heard the rpms go higher then normal, looked at the tachometer to confirm it, reached for the throttle to back off it but it "caught" just before I could throttle down
  • Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Failed coupler. 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • 212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That coupler slips like that, it ain't gonna catch ever again.  I'm betting he's got a bound or corroded cable that flips the lever on the foot of the outdrive.  That would account for throttle, but no gear.. plus, he'd have felt the gear drop in through the controls of it was a cable issue there, but not felt a thing if it was on the drive.  As far as it working the rest of the day, well, it unbound itself.  
  • Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had a similar feeling yesterday while out. I was running on plane, then I lost 5 MPH and things sounded different. I slowed down to pass a marina, then tried to get back up on plane, but noticed a struggle. I was close to my marina, so I didn't try again. I was able to get into the dock, but haven't been back since. I am hoping it isn't a coupler. I will have to test things out some evening this week...
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
    Tiki had his coupler fail like that. If it is the coupler, upgrade to the HD version Merc makes. 

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If it is the coupler, I should change the bellows and sea water impeller while it is out. Ugh...
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
    It didn't have any issue going into gear. As soon as I put it in gear it idled forward. I moved along at idle speed for a minute or so. When I went to throttle up to get on plane is when the rpms went higher then normal and had the "slipping" issue. I should've been a little clearer on the details. Still sound like a coupler issue?
    Yeah... In light of that, it does sound like a coupler.  Sorry, man.  I missed the idling in gear out part... 

And since its all comin out, yeah, bellow up.  

Make sure that engine is aligned... For the life of me, I can't see how a gimble that's properly maintained and a coupler that's less than ten years/2k hours old can fail unless it's a defect in the manufacturing, unless the drive and engine aren't aligned. 

I'm the second owner of the boat and it's obvious that the original owner took care of it. It only has 260 hours on it and he gave me service records and the best I can remember, the gimble bearing was replaced every 2 years. Is a bad coupler common in this situation? Also how long do they usually last once it shows signs like mine? Do I need to get it taken care of immediately or can it survive a couple more weekends?
    edited June 2015
    I had one die at 200 hrs. The alignment was a mile off...and I was paying to have that checked annually too.  You have to pull the engine and remove the lower unit. Check the gimbal bearing while it is out too. For the few $ put in the HD Merc coupler. 

PC BYC, Holland, MI
    My engine was misaligned... Likely from the factory, and the gimble took a beating for it... If the gimble was greased properly, and the alignment is right, they'll both last a long long time.  

Maybe the engine wiggles a bit over the hours, or something like that.. The coupler can absorb some of that, I'm guessing, but it wears on it I'm certain.  Hence.. It gives.  

BD:  I did mine last summer, too.  It wasn't the coupler as much as it was the tunnel, though the coupler wasn't in the best of shape.  
    I appriciate all the info and input. At least I'll know what to expect when I take to the shop as opposed to being blind sided with a big bill
  • youstolemybeeryoustolemybeer Member Posts: 246 ✭✭✭
    or you had a stick or something stuck on the outdrive in front of the prop. That would cause ventilation raising your RPM causing your slip. Once the stick was free the prop could work as it should
  • Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are these only on Gas motors??????????????????????
    Nope.  You gots one too. Or, you gots two.. :) 
  • raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,455 admin
    I just dodged a bullet. I thought I blew an outdrive.  While powering up just before getting on plain the port outdrive started to "squeal" and to engine's rpm's pinned. Turned out to be a broken cotter pin on the linkage........... Lucky me.....lol
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
    Nope.  You gots one too. Or, you gots two.. :) 
    I have a ZF transmission, not sure I have the doughnut on Yanmars
    i didn't realize those diesels actually had a transmission... huh!
    They are remarkable although 1 speed. 
  • Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,552 mod
     Handymans342 said:
    They are remarkable although 1 speed. 

Oh boy, can't resist...& that speed is...."slow".  :D

Raybo, you definitely lucked out.

I have a buddy that caught a chain (that somebody must've left cause they couldn't get their anchor out) around their bravo 3 unit.  Not sure of all the damage yet, but definitely some teeth missing from gears is known.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

That will cost you some drinks now!
  • gslprogslpro Member Posts: 222 ✭✭✭
    Another thing to look at is the propeller hub.  That will cause it.  it will usually only reengage if power down, but it still could be the cause.  Start with the cheaper things first, then look at the coupler.  Maybe you will luck out.  Make sure nothing like rope or fishing line got wrapped.  All little things that could do it.  Little things repeat themselves, big things usually only break once.  Good luck.
    Gary and Diane
    290 FV Nauti Bonnie
  • Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,552 mod
    Bravo 3 drives do not have prop hubs (my B-2s do).  I agree to start with little things first to look at.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

No V drive. Yans with Bravo 2s. I cant remember if I saw a dip stick in the back for the tranny. 
  • gslprogslpro Member Posts: 222 ✭✭✭
    Dream, I didn't realize that B3 didn't have hubs.  Good to know to add to my knowledge base.  Thanks.

Gary and Diane
    290 FV Nauti Bonnie