Potential Power Steering Issue

mvnmvn Member, Moderator Posts: 744 mod
Owned the 2008 226 for the past 5 years.   Since day 1, the same steering effort is required regardless of whether the engine is running or not.   Turning to port is slightly easier than turning to starboard.   Power steering fluid level is good. No leaks.   Pump turns without any noise.   It just doesn't seem I'm getting any boost.  It's not getting any worse over time.  Hour meter shows 186 hours.  Boat spends most of its life on a trailer. Any ideas?

Mark 
Good,  fast,  cheap.... pick two. 
2019 MTX20 Extreme

Comments

• Robs_232Robs_232 Member Posts: 212 ✭✭✭
    It would be worth having it looked at by a repair shop. They can easily check pressure of the steering system to see if it is the pump or the steering actuator. If I remember correctly there is some sort of alignment at the actuator that can influence steering too, as I had hard steering on my 04 232 at 300 hrs. and had to take it in. The shop told me the pump or actuator quit working right putting more strain on the cables so they had to replace the pump, actuator, and cables.
  • mvnmvn Member, Moderator Posts: 744 mod
    edited July 2015
    Thanks Rob.  

So today,  I disconnected the cable from the actuator by removing the cotter pin,  clevis pin and loosening large aluminum nut.   Rod end and aluminum tube look good; no corrosion or wear.   Steering wheel spins freely when disconnected at actuator.  Disconnected actuator from sterndrive steering arm.   I'm able to rotate sterndrive easily via input lever.   Lubricated cable end and all pivot points and reinstalled. Added about 40 ml of power steering fluid to reservoir to bring up to full cold.   Hooked up water (on trailer)  and started engine paying close attention to steering effort.   There is a decrease in steering effort when running but the steering still feels stiff.   Problem is,  I have no other point of reference. How easily should it turn? 

Mark
    2019 MTX20 Extreme

• mvnmvn Member, Moderator Posts: 744 mod
    Al, 

Thanks.   I've done a bunch of reading this afternoon and realized that it's power assist,  unlike a car.  The cable is not rigidly mounted so the control valve works properly.   When on plane,  steering is light. 

I guess all is well.  Thanks again. 

Mark
    2019 MTX20 Extreme