2003 342 FV, 24P 2.20:1 Low wot rpm ( Rinda Snapshots Included)

WildboatingWildboating Member Posts: 957 ✭✭✭
edited July 2015 in Engine Discussions
I am going to take another shot at diagnosing my low rpm.  My understanding from others who own this boat and the published info I have found state that this boat should run close to 40mph and 5000rpm at wot with the factory 24p props.  I have recently just had all 4 heads rebuilt, new gimbal bearings, fuel injectors, fuel filters.  The engines are now in top condition and puur like kittens when synced up.

Boat Info:  2003 342FV, 24P props, 2.20:1 B3 Drives, Bottom is clean, new fuel.

Fuel pressure on both engines reports back: 45 during pressurizing with engine off, 40 when pumps shut off with engine off, 38 with engines running at idle.

I have found some water in the separators, which i keep swapping out to remove the water from the tank.

I notice on the port motor 97.97* is wot, and the starboard is 99.11%.  Should I be able to reach 100%??

Couple things i want to note,  at less than half throttle, the starboard motor on the sync gauge seems to require less throttle forward then the port motor does.  Once you go above 50% throttle forward this switches drastically to the port requires less than the starboard to balance.  It is very common for the port throttle to be about 55% throttle forward and starboard to be 100% when wot and the engine balance gauge synced.

I have also noticed that when pulling back to approx 55% throttle forward on port motor that I am still able to maintain nearly the same rpm as wot however the throttle position in the ecm knows I am at 55%.  There seems to be no new power past 55%.

Here is the ABSOLUTE highest rpm i was able to achieve in my port motor.  I state absolute as the average high rpm is about 100 rpm less.

Here is the ABSOLUTE highest rpm i was able to achieve in my starboard motor.  I state absolute as the average high rpm is about 200 rpm less in this motor.

I attribute the 10* Manifold Temperature difference to the starboard was recorded first on a first run, the port was immediately after which the engine bay would have been warmer.
2003 Rinker 342 Fiesta Vee, 350 Mag MPI, Bravo 3 2.20:1 w/ 22p 4 x4 props

Comments

• Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You need 22 props not 24 like B_D suggested
  • WeberWeber Member Posts: 249 ✭✭✭
    Throttle position is based of the TPS, there could be an adjustment that needs to be fine tuned with your throttle, but that is not causing your issues.

Battery voltage is low on both motors, but lower on the first shot.  I would expect it to be higher at the rpm you are pushing.

You are missing the Fuel injector information?  
    Sin or Swim - Rinker 312
  • WildboatingWildboating Member Posts: 957 ✭✭✭
    Handy,

I know that the suggestions to switch to 22p will help get me closer to published wot rpm's.  My question is if I am supposed to be able to do it with the 24P's and others are, how come I can not?

Thanks Weber!
    Battery voltage is low, i plan to do some alternator testing this week.

What FI information would you expect to show on a ECM555?  

• CrewLoungeCrewLounge Member Posts: 92 ✭✭
    What's the weight of the boat?  If it's fully loaded or out of trim, that can make a difference
    If I was a betting man, I would bet you are having a fuel problem, it's not a prop problem.  

You probably have some bad fuel or water in it.  Burn that crap up and put some good fuel from a known good source.  Run the engines off a portable tank, and recheck your numbers just make sure you burn a few gallons first.

This problem has been huge this year, I have heard more of this issue than I any year I can remember.

You should be able to see the pulse width of the injector, spark advance, and more information than what your pictures show.

Take a look at the other thread that has a picture of the data.
    Sin or Swim - Rinker 312
  • Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I posted this on another thread but when my alternators were weak the boat ran like crap. Then I upgraded them and made a big difference. The exhaust even smelled better. 
  • JC290JC290 Member Posts: 706 ✭✭✭
    Bad fuel would be my first guess as you stated there is water in the fuel 
  • Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    deja vu!  Been in that exact situation my friend.  Esp with the throttles being what seemed like way off from each other to keep them synched just as you noted.  I did plugs, wires, new dist cap/rotor, new fuel filters and gas/water filters.  Re-ran new fuel line from the tanks to the valves (they literally had a 90 degree bend around the firewall through hole..like pulled tight 90 degrees).  I was also low on the WOT with very little equipment on board, trimmed out, maybe 1/2 fuel or so and empty H2O and waste tanks.  Went from 24P to 22P and everything came together.  I still get a little 'off' from one throttle to the other when coming up to plane but I think more of that is just play in the cables/adjustments, it's just fine once upto running rpm which for me is 3800-4000 and gives me about 32mph trimmed out on flat water.  High 20's mph in choppy Lake Michigan (2-3').

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
    edited July 2015
    BD,

So are you saying with 22p you are getting 32mph at 3800-4000 Rpm with 1/2 fuel and trimmed out?

I ask as I too am getting 32-33 mph with 6 people at 4000rpm and half fuel, granted this would be my wot as I can not get past 4000rm.  I don't want to drop 2k on 22p if this isn't going to make any difference for me!  I am more conserned with the fact that the 350 mag mpi dyno sheets that i have seen show this motor makes about 200-210hp at 4000RPM and 300hp at 4800rpm-49000rpm.  If we can't not get to that rpm range we are essentially running 200hp motors.  The difference from 4000rpm to 5000rpm would be adding a 3rd engine between both motors. :o

I too have new plugs, wires, dist cap/rotor, fuel filter, gas water filters.  I will look at my fuel lines for any kinks, as that can't be good.

What is your top speed and wot rpm with your 22's and all of this work?  

Also, what did you do to correct your throttles being so far out of whack?

Weber,

I am new to the Rinda however I know see where i can map what i want shown.  I figured all available parameters were displayed by default.  I will hook up tomorrow and see if i can get some additional data shown.

I plan to run out the fuel in the tank as close to E as possible then pump the rest out soon.  I bought the boat 6 weeks ago with 1/8 tank, i have since brought the tanks up to 1/2 twice so the fuel is fairly fresh however I know that the separator still shows water at times.  I will change them again tomorrow to see if they are still showing water.  

I do not have any hesitation or rough running that I would expect with a water problem hitting the injectors, you suspect a fuel problem still.  Where should i be looking?

I had or have the same problem with mine, with each tank of fuel I'm picking up more RPM.  When the problem first occurred I was not able to get over 3,000, hard time planing.  No alarm and no hesitation, idled fine or higher rpm's in neutral.  Once on plane no change in rpm wether it's half throttle or full. Now I'm at 4,200-4,400 and top speed is coming up as well.

I owned the boat before the problem occurred so I knew what the boat was capable of doing.

At the rate of improvement I should be back up to full rpm soon with another filter change and some more fresh gas.

I chased my tail and replaced parts that weren't needed.  I'm glad I didn't listen to the mechanics who wanted to do major engine work that was not needed. 

Sin or Swim - Rinker 312
    I was on another page reading about your fuel problems last year.  I am happy to hear yours is coming back along.

I had the same issue as you, basically running WOT / zero response at the top end.  The 24P props were just too much and lugged the engines.  The WOT rpm confirmed it.  With the 22P it docks better, comes right up to plane, my engine rpm is where it should be per Merc for WOT.  No more engine lugging or wierd performance.  It is not perfect with the engine rpms matching coming up to speed, but much better.  I chased that ghost for awhile, no codes thrown so hard to figure it exactly out.  It is good enough now so I moved on.  lol

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • RWBLACK6RWBLACK6 Member Posts: 36 ✭✭
    Wildboating:    You may not need to spend anywhere near 2K for two sets of 22p props. A few years ago I bid on E-bay for a set. Excellent shape used for $550. The other used set I bought from "Alswag" and he took a set of my 24s on trade. Much improved performance on my 04  342v.
    Thanks RWBlack,  I am keeping an eye out on eBay.  I hope to find a great deal like you did.

Check with alswagg too

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • ruwallydogruwallydog Member Posts: 92 ✭✭
    Al hooked me up as well. Check with him for sure