Options

Garmin gpsmap5280

good day everyone, looking for advice to update my garmin gpsmap 5208. I have contacted garmin who directed me towards their web site and who told me to download their updates....but i need to do it on a 2 gbs sd card....the issue is , pretty hard to find a 2gb sd card these days as the minimum they do is 4 gbs. Anyone tried doing it?,...i have a garmin gps5208. Gps software version 2.30

thks in advance.

sandra and steph 
Marvel

Comments

• Options
    frenchshipfrenchship Member Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭
    Bonjour  Stéphane.
    Je ne vois pas de problème à utiliser une carte de 4gbs , le minimum requis serait de 2gbs
    Paul
  • Options
    sanstephsansteph Member Posts: 34 ✭✭
    Here is the message i got from them : You can use the process below to update the software on your GPSMAP 5208.  The version of software currently on your device is an older version. so you'll want to use an sdCard no larger than 2GB to download the software update to it or the 5208 won't be able to read the card.

Marvel
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In Canada you could purchase a 2GB card at Staples Office Supplies. If not in stock I bet they could order one fast. I also believe The Source sells or can easily get 2GB cards in micro or regular. Bonne Chance!
  • Options
    Hi,Stéphane 
     Here what it says on the download instructions.
    • An SD card with 500MB of free space is needed for this update.
    • If you do not have a device with an SD card slot, then you will need to download the Garmin Marine Network Update with Garmin Card to update your Garmin Marine Network.
    • Please back up your user data before applying the update.
    No mention of a 2gbs card only that you need 500MB of free space on a card. I am pretty sure that when I did the download on mine I used 4gbs card, I will check when I get to the boat.
    Paul
  • Options
    StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    You can use a bigger card.  I used to have a 4208 and used 8GB cards all the time.

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Options
    Ok tks...i will reset my garmin and see if it can detect the card...
    Marvel
  • Options

So it did not detect the card even with a reset....so I followed Garmin suppport agent instruction and finally got a 2Gb sd card.  download the update....brought it back to the boat and voilà :) they were right, it detected the sd card and I was able to update the software to the latest version.

Now I went to amazing to purchase GARMIN VUS020R ST LAWRENCE SEAWAY BLUECHART G2 VISION  ...to my big surprise I was able to purchase online for 65$.  Is it possible to reuse it.?...the purchase is down and now I am curious to see what I will get in the mail, I am hoping it will be an SD card with this on it.  the cheapest price I have seen (new) was 231$. So will see. Otherwise any recommendation where to get it for the lowest price.

Thanks!

Marvel
  • Options

sorry..in the previous message I met I went to Amazone.ca to do the purchase

Marvel
  • Options
    Good news on your GPS. In regards of the high pitch sound coming out of your console,are you going to br at the boat this weekend ?
    Paul
  • Options
    Yes I will :)
    Marvel
  • Options
    I was thinking to go for another little ride tonight ( just around the kettle island)...you think thislight  high pitch noise in the console makes it a problem for me to take the boat for a small ride?....
    Marvel
  • Options
    I don't think so just watch your gauges carefully , I should be at the boat after supper tonight 
    Paul
  • Options
    edited August 2015

Post edited by sansteph on
    Marvel
  • Options
    edited August 2015

Post edited by sansteph on
    Marvel