Options

VesselView instead of N2K Gateway?

diggin2day1diggin2day1 Member Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭✭
I currently have a NEMA2000 Gateway which sends engine information(RPM, oil pressure, water temp, GPH, etc..) to my Garmin 741xs. My problem is that I am running out of "real estate" on my Chartplotter when all that info is displayed. I have a full set of analogue gauges that have been temperamental(especially the tach... Sometimes shows a 600rpm difference!). I am considering fabricating a new gauge panel and installing my Chartplotter and a VesselView 4 into it(and removing analogue gauges). If I were to do this, can I remove the Gateway from the system? Would the VesselView replace the Gateway and output the N2K data to the network? If so, I should still be able to view engine information on my Garmin 741xs right? 

Comments

• Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,555 mod
    I'm not sure about the VesselView, but the MercMonitor (same product line) does not export data to the N2K network.  If VV is the same, you'd still need the gateway.

You and your boat will be much happier with an all-digital helm!  If you want to abandon the analog trim indicators, you'll need compatible trim sensors.  Same with fuel levels.  

On mine, even though the tachs are flaky, the engine sync gauge works fine.  If yours is the same, consider keeping the sync. 
  • Options
    I crawled into the boat a little while ago... Pulled the gauge panel out and just for poops & giggles, I dry fitted the Garmin 741xs and the only place it would fit is dead center. That doesn't leave me enough room for the VesselView, but I might be able to squeeze a Garmin GMI 20 on each side of it... Oh man my "winter project wheels" are spinning full throttle!!!
  • Options
    Here's a few pics of the GMI 20:
  • Options
    StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    I have my vessel view and GPS side by side in my dash.  Been really happy with that change.

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do you have any trouble seeing the screens in the day light?
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭✭✭
    all that fancy stuff......are you guys trying to boat to Spain or something?
  • Options
    It's nothing fancy... I look at it this way, it is winter time and I have the boat on blocks in my backyard... Perfect time to do some repairs/upgrades(which I enjoy doing). I would rather spend a few extra bucks and some "garage time" on something that I want and will enjoy looking at, than just slapping some new gauges in the dash. I am most likely going build a new dash out of Fiberglas and mount my Garmin 741xs and a VesselView 4 side by side into it... Honestly looking forward to it. 
  • Options
    No Handy, I can see them fine.  But I pretty much always have the bimini up which give a bit of shade.

• Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin
    I kind of agree with rasbury........... I want to ride my boat not play with electronics. I guess I am kinda old school. I am also not a big fan of touch screens especially on a boat that could be bouncing all around. I know I know but its just me....lol 
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    Ray thats exactly why you would love my boat. Nothing electronic except the radar and Lowrance.  :)
  • Options
    Handy I am sure I would love your boat. However I love mine a whole bunch.....lol
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    Man, my personality is at the opposite end of the spectrum.  I want full awareness of everything happening on and around my boat, all the time.  Engine data, nav data, radar, comms, weather, I want it all.  The more I can augment what my eyes and ears tell me, the happier I am.

And I love the autopilot.  I think it makes me more engaged with the boat, which some people might find counter-intuitive. 

I'm moving, gradually, to a mostly-digital or all-digital helm.  That's why discussions like this one always grab my attention.
  • Options
    LaRea, if I could get my gas tank info onto my Vessel View I'd be all digital.  Sadly that's in the multi-gauge.  I'm the same way though.  I have DSC and AIS (for the freighters). 

• Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @LaRea, I.m with you.  I'm all digital with auto pilot and automatic fuel management - I love it, particularly being able to access all recorded data - temps, pressures, fluid levels, rpms, faults - all of it. 21st century. :-)
  • Options
    Just more to break MT and costs
  • Options
    Steve, how are you managing to post to this forum with smoke signals, seeing as how you hate technology and don't believe in computers, eh? Is raybo3 giving you secret smoke signal access? Now I AM jealous! :-)
  • Options
    More to break?  Handy speaks truth.  A boat is nothing but an integrated collection of things to break.  More systems = more things to break.  More data = more safety and, for some, more happiness.  And each captain gets to pick his/her comfort point.  It's a beautiful thing, no?
  • Options
    What is more to break? The analogue gauges are getting their information from the same sensors as the VesselView.... The information is being transferred to the guages via wire/cables which is same as VesselView.... Analogue gauges transform that electrical signal into usable/readable information same as VesselView. 
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    Hey MT trust me there are no smoke signals going to Handy..........lol but I do find him amusing..........lol 
  • Options
    @raybo3, yes he is and even has great info - for a guy with diesels LOL.
  • Options
    Your bashing me Ray
  • Options
    I think that was a compliment Steve, are you fishing for a hug?
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,561 mod

Oh man, group hug here!  I could use one since my Buckeyes just lost today!

I will say my vesselview has helped me too many times to count when an alarm went off.  The last time was for low gear lube (it was not low, just needed a little playing with) and would not have found it.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    No way bro. I would never bash Handy. I gave you a compliment............
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,812 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Speaking of electronics, take a look at this set up! This is on a Gulfstream G650 I maintain. 

2008 330EC
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    That's real cool! Steve will have a heart attack at all the technology! I think he's a Wright Brothers flyer! LOL.
  • Options
    When I dream boating dreams, they look like that.
  • Options
    Never heard of a 342 diesel crash  :)
  • Options
    .....'cuase diesels don't fly Steve,.... they barely get on "plane"  LOL ....now a set of 496s or 502s - they FLY!
  • Options
    You bashing me MT or my boat?