Oil Change Pump Advice

Glassguy54Glassguy54 Member Posts: 588 ✭✭✭
After being bent over the engine compartment bulkhead and hand pumping the engine oil out through the dipstick tube at the rate of about 1/2 shot glass or less per stroke, I am DONE with the hand pump! For those of you who like to do their own oil changes, what is the best electric pump out there for doing this job? I have read many reviews of a lot of different pumps that are marketed by the likes of Overton's, West Marine, Walmart, etc. and there seems to be much grumbling about the junk that is out there that just doesn't perform, or breaks down halfway through an oil change. I want something that is not necessarily professional grade (= big bucks and high volume usage), but will perform well enough and last more than a few changes. Recommendations anyone? and thanks in advance. 

Comments

• The Main ExchangeThe Main Exchange Member Posts: 280 ✭✭✭

http://www.westmarine.com/buy/west-marine--manual-oil-extractor-6-5l--11047123

I use this with no issues, hot engine gets the oil out in less then 10 mins via the dipstick tube.

2007 300 EC, 350 Mags, B3's, Table Rock Lake, MO

• Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2015

I have used a lot of oil pumps over the years. The key factor to using any oil pump is to  remove the oil at normal engine operating temperature (as hot as it will normally get). You would think this would be common sense and standard practice. It is not. Any pump will remove far more oil (and more importantly acids and other contaminants) when the oil is hot. I run the engines for at least 15 minutes to make sure the acids, water vapor and contaminants have been picked-up by the oil.

My marina uses the type that has a pump mounted on top of a white plastic bucket ( I may have a picture that I can post). This type of pump removes the oil via your engine's dip stick. This "rig" gets "most" of the oil out - "most" does not mean all. Jabsco sells one ($179 at Overtons) West Marine sells one ($199). When I had 350 mag and a 383 engines I bought brass L fittings that I installed in the bottom drain plug hole of the oil pans. The first time I did this the marina tech used his pump and declared "that's most of it". It wasn't. About another pint of hot oil ran over his hands when he pulled the plug. He let out a loud yell and called for rags! LOL

He installed that L fitting with a rubber (oil resistant) hose on it that led to a 12v pump that I bought for about $100. It was wired directly to my 12v battery. The pump had a switch on it and a valve to control flow. I screwed the pump to the floor in the engine compartment and could change the oil in 5 minutes (after warm-up). 

If I were buying a new pump now I might use a more modern pump such as one by Reverso ($264) or Groco ($299) but there are decent pumps available that are less expensive.

I bought my brass L fittings at Overtons. They used to sell the drain kits for oil pans for about $35.00..... 26163 was for 1/2" X #20 threads for 1996 and older Chevy pans...26164  was for 3/4" X #16 threads for Volvo Penta...36130 was for 14mm X 1.5 threads for metric Ford 350 and 351... 30334 was for 12mm X 1.75 thread for 1996 and newer Chevy pans. Their phone number is 1-800-334-6541.

We had a huge discussion on this topic "way back" and it may be archived.

If Overtyons doesn't sell that kit any longer, you could buy a fitting and hose and make a line for about $25, I would think.

Bottom line:You are right -  adding that auto oil removal was the ONLY way I ever got ALL of the oil out and made changing the oil a laugh - one of the best low cost items that I ever put on an engine, or anywhere on a boat.

If I decide to keep our boat for a few more years I see a Reverso model pump that will handle my twin 8.2s in the future!

BTW I used a hack saw to cut a cross hatch pattern in the end of that brass L fitting, only down a bit, maybe about 1/8" from the top. That way even when the T fitting protruded above the bottom of the oil pan a bit the last bit of oil would drain through the fitting. Yeah, I do have OCD.

• wm61356wm61356 Member Posts: 201 ✭✭✭

I have the Jabsco brand 12 volt electric pump. The decals have worn off from use so I don't know what model it is. It consists of a reversible 12 volt pump mounted on top of a holding tank that looks like a 5 gallon bucket. The unit has a long cord with clips for connecting to the boat's 12 volt battery. The pump is mounted on the lid of the bucket. To use the pump you simply connect the cord to the boat battery, slide the  pump hose over the engine dip stick tube and the oil is pumped out of the motor and into the holding tank. The unit work quickly...I can empty both of my V-8 Magnums in just a few minutes. To empty the holding tank you simply operate the pump in reverse and the old oil can be pumped out into suitable container for recycling.

I've had it for over 20 years and have never had to do anything to it. It works flawlessly every time. I highly recommend this tool. They are sold at marine suppliers like West Marine and can also be purchased online. Additionally, the pump uses a rubber impeller which can be purchased separately if needed. Although, in all the years I've been using this tool I've not needed to replace the impeller yet.

edited December 2015

@Glassguy54 If you do buy the type of oil extractor that utilizes the engine's dip stick tube (like the first two I mentioned above)  I highly recommend you do NOT buy the ones that only have a small tube that can only fit inside the engine's dip stick tube.

Instead, get one like @wm61356 suggests that will fit OVER your dip stick tube or that has a fitting that will allow it to screw-onto the garden hose type fitting that is on most newer dip stick tubes.

If you have the version that will only fit on a dip stick tube, and you want to, you can easily retrofit it with a garden hose fitting that will screw onto your dip stick tube. In my experience any type that will fit over or screw onto the dip stick tube will pull waaay more oil than the "tube in tube" type. 

Of course, if you have the time and like "tinkering", there is no substitute for a drain pan hose removal system. In fact, for years, a lot of engines came from the factory with these drain tubes already installed. Unfortunately for me, my 2014 8.2 Mags don't have them. So, if I want to install them there will be some serious up-side down work involved. LOL.

• bella-vitabella-vita Member Posts: 411 ✭✭✭
    My 2002 342 came with rubber drain tubes from the factory I believe. I use 12v jabsco oil change pump best $99 I spent pulls oil out easily less than a minute.i bought a few cheaper pumps in past no good!
    2002 Rinker FV 342
    @belle-vita, I am officially jealous! I'd love to have those drain tubes!
  • Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,552 mod
    edited December 2015
    Wow!  MT, I can't believe they would stop putting those drain tubes on the bottom.  You'd think they would know that is the best way to drain and would continue it.  I'm curious if all boats have gone away with it?

Oh, and for the topic, I have the jabsco electric pump and it's been working for about 15 years now :-)

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Glassguy54Glassguy54 Member Posts: 588 ✭✭✭
    Thank you all for your valuable input. I have a 2007 MAG 350 MPI engine and it is equipped with the male hose fitting on the dipstick tube. I have used a Jabsco brass hand pump with the hose fitting and I  have also modified it with tubing to run down the d-stick tube, either way - a royal PITA! Michael T, I wish there were enough clearance between the stringers and in the bilge under the engine to get to the oil pan drain plug, but I would have to dismantle too many components and maybe even lift the engine a bit to get to it in order to retro fit a remote drain kit. Why in the world don't boat manufacturers address this issue with a simple, easy to service system so ALL the oil could be efficiently drained? I don't get it!
    Michael sounds like u have a nice set up,I considered installing the pump permanently but I would have to buy a second pump or hook up some kind of T , moving  it to each motor does not bother me much.hand pump was a pain!
    2002 Rinker FV 342
  • rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mine has the drain tube, I see it hooked up against the transom but never figured out how to get it down to the drain plug. I bought the just a stick on the end of a drill "pump" that seemed to work just fine the couple of times I used it.
    Rasbury U hook pump to that tube.
    2002 Rinker FV 342
    @DI and @ Glassguy54. I have not gone under my engine to confirm that there is no drain hose on my pan but my tech says there isn't. He said Merc stopped as not enough people were using them? Really? BUT - I have one of those construction cameras at the end of a long flexible wand - first thing in the Spring I'm going to use it to look at my oil pan. If he's wrong and there is an attached hose I'll have it out from under there in 5 minutes. LOL..... If there isn't one I'll see how hard it is to install one. It doesn't look easy because of all the accessories on those engines. As to why those hoses might have been discontinued I can't imagine a sensible reason for that! 
    nope, just never took the time to figure it out...I assume it is supposed to exit the drain plog but it is fixed to the transom. I just did the dipstick method with the drill type pump- does not take that long. I have to stretch my boat bucks thin!
  • aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭✭✭

I bought this pump off of Amazon and attached a old washing machine hose I had laying around(cut off one end and clamped it to the pump). Instead of using the tube down the dipstick tube I now screw it on the dipstick tube. Works great! Less than 2 minutes and the oil is out. 

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00AOAFP9C/ref=mp_s_a_1_sc_1?qid=1449538253&sr=8-1-spell&pi=AC_SX110_SY165_QL70&keywords=12+volt+iil+pump
    2008 330EC
  • aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I did have to drill out the fitting on the washing machine hose a tiny bit so it would fit on the dipstick tube. Once that was done it screwed right on.

https://www.mfrexpress.com/48-washing-machine-hose-elbow-34-fgh-x-34-fgh-p-1593.html?gclid=CN3txdaQy8kCFYEfHwodd5MMbQ
    2008 330EC

You have to love this forum for great real world advice!

• Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Amazon has the Jabsco pump. Other places have it cheaper.

http://www.amazon.com/Jabsco-17850-1012-Premium-Marine-Changer/dp/B001CX0WX4

2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
    so you are sucking out the oil with the dip stick then? What about the pan option that has the hose, is that pumped out then from inside the compartment or is it supposed to pull out through the drain plug?
  • nhsdnhsd Member Posts: 182 ✭✭✭
    Michael T said:
    @DI and @ Glassguy54. I have not gone under my engine to confirm that there is no drain hose on my pan but my tech says there isn't. He said Merc stopped as not enough people were using them? Really? BUT - I have one of those construction cameras at the end of a long flexible wand - first thing in the Spring I'm going to use it to look at my oil pan. If he's wrong and there is an attached hose I'll have it out from under there in 5 minutes. LOL..... If there isn't one I'll see how hard it is to install one. It doesn't look easy because of all the accessories on those engines. As to why those hoses might have been discontinued I can't imagine a sensible reason for that! 
    My nephew left his drain plug (attached to the oil hose) unscrewed one year when he went out for the first time that season. While out in the Ohio River boating, his oil pressure alarm went off. He checked his oil level and it was very low, so he put what oil he had on board in the engine. A few minutes later the alarm sounded again and, again he checked and was very low on oil. Managed to get back to the ramp and pulled the boat. That is when he noticed that the oil hose was sticking out the back with no end on it. The end had been cut off. The best we could figure was that the water pressure had pulled the hose out and it had been chopped off by the prop. In any case, he had just pumped all of his oil right out into the river. Not saying that is why they stopped installing them (assuming that they did). Personally, I really like my oil hose and use it every time I change my oil. I do, however, remember to reinstall my plug before boating....

Dave

2002 Captiva 212, 5.0 220 hp, Alpha 1, 1.62 gears

Moon Township, PA - boating in the Ohio River

@rasbury. with the drain hose that is factory installed you can either pull it out through the drain plug hole, zip tie it to somewhere on the engine block to use with one of the portable "Jabsco type" oil extractors we have talked about or, like I did, connect it to a fixed oil extraction pump. @nhsd....wow that is the first time I have ever heard of that happening. I have heard of lots of guys who have forgotten to re-install their drain plugs and almost sunk their boats but that is a new one - to me!
  • Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,552 mod
    @nhsd, talk about a bad day, that would be an engine going bad, then sinking cause the plug is not there!  I don't like the idea of it connected to the plug.  On current boat and prior, they have been mounted inside on transom.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

Michael- it looks like it is tied down somehow to the transom (did not spend a lot of time looking) so I can hook it up right there and pump it out? The last thing I do, even if I thought I have already done it, is to check the darn plug! Not this boat, but had done it before......
    I'd have to see a pic ras but I'm 99% sure you can just take the plug out of the end of the hose and just pump the oil right from the bottom of your pan - man, I'm jealous!
  • nhsdnhsd Member Posts: 182 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2015
    Dream_Inn said:
    @nhsd, talk about a bad day, that would be an engine going bad, then sinking cause the plug is not there!  I don't like the idea of it connected to the plug.  On current boat and prior, they have been mounted inside on transom.

I think they may mount them on the transom for you cruisers (with engine rooms and all), but all of the smaller sport boats that I have ever seen with the hose have them connected to the drain plug. It is very convenient in that you just unscrew your drain plug, pull out the hose and take off the hose plug to drain your oil. Now when the hose is sticking out of the drain, the hole is mostly plugged, so you probably don't get much water coming in if you forget the plug and have the hose sticking out - not recommended though as discussed above :-).

http://www.wholesalemarine.com/hose-kit-oil-drain-mercury-mercruiser-32-865281a02.html?gclid=CKS1wraDzckCFUwYHwod9rIDeQ

Dave

2002 Captiva 212, 5.0 220 hp, Alpha 1, 1.62 gears

Moon Township, PA - boating in the Ohio River

Mine was mounted on the transom wall. The selling sealer and PO never used the hose and changed the oil via the dipstick tube. I started using it the first time I changed the oil and have used it ever since.
    Go Steelers!!!
    @Cableguy Greg do you pull it through the drain plug hole or attach something right there at the transom?
    I pull it thru the drain plug hole. When I change the oil, I put the hose in a gallon washer fluid bottle and wait. It takes about 10 or so minutes to fill and I have a second bottle ready to go.
    Go Steelers!!!
    I had a smaller boat set up that way....the drain plug was attached so when you pulled the drain plug out away from the boat, the tube came out. I'm not sure how to get it routed down there but will try as I'm do for an oil change. That's how we winterize boats in Fl, change the oil and get back in the water!
    I used a fiberglass fish tape run from the outside of the boat in thru the drain plug hole, then attached the hose to it to route it back thru.
    Go Steelers!!!