Big Orange Filter - Install Picture

Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 2015 in Rinker Photo Gallery

Now that I have figured-out how to mesh my Windows 7 with the forum's software I'm the new annoying picture guy! Because there has been some discussion on the forum lately about the Big Orange Filter (to eliminate) waste tank vent odours I thought I'd post a picture of one installed. From the picture you might be able to see a tab on the front of it. To change the filter charcoal (actually it's a better filter media) you just press the tab and the whole cartridge pulls out. You dump the filter media, change the two sponge retainers and click it back in. You may be able to get more than one year out of the filter media - you'll know LOL - when it needs changing. I think you can have it shipped to the U.S. directly from the supplier in Canada. If you can you guys (U.S.A.) will save about 30% on the exchange rate!

Post edited by Michael T on

Comments

• BellevilleMXZBellevilleMXZ Member Posts: 732 ✭✭✭
    Nice.....thats on the list for this winter
    2005 Rinker 270 FV Volvo Penta 5.7Gi
  • jme097jme097 Member Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭
    Does Rinker offer the vent filter in any of there boats or is this an aftermarket add on?
    Boat Name: Knot A Worry
    2007 280 Rinker Express 6.2L B3
  • Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rinker installs it o.e.m. for their EC 310 and EC 360. I'm not sure about the rest of the line but I bet Rinker would install one if you wanted it. It's an easy install!
    edited December 2015

@jme097, I just happened to have a re-fill pack available for the "original" style twin canister model so I took a picture of it. You just snap the bottom part of the filter off, dump the used media, re-fill the canister, replace the two sponge gaskets (provided) and snap the cartridge back in. 5-10 minute job. No mess.

BTW this model comes with a tank saver relief valve built-in to help reduce vacuum damage at pump-out time.

There are also different models (smaller) available if t you google the company.

If you can't get a hold of one easily in the U.S. I'm sure the company will ship it to you - as long as they don't have specific "dealer territory" agreements in place with American retailers.

I buy my replacement media directly from them and they ship it to my door. Added bonus for American buyers - you should save about 35% on the currency exchange.

Their contact number in Canada is 1-647-237-1355

I have found their product to be way more effective than some cheaper ones and as I mentioned there is the built-in tank relief valve.

BTW. I replaced the filter media the first year but it didn't have any odor so I think I'll see if it can go two years without replacement - I'm sure if it gets used-up I'll know soon enough - LOL - then it's just a 5+ minute job.

Big Orange

138 Rose Avenue (I'm sure there is a joke in this address somewhere - "smells like a rose" LOL)

Stouffville, Ontario

L484J6

1-647-237-1355

OMG - I just noticed something when I read the package as I was taking a picture of it - - read the Part Number in the picture TOO FUNNY - Part# BO002.....are you kidding me????  BO - as in body odor - this can't be a coincidence. I have talked with these guys in the past. This has to be an "inside" joke!!! The Admiral had a good laugh too!

Thanks MT! I definitely do not have one on my 280, trust me! I have often thought of dumping (no pun intended lol) some Simple Green or something else into the holding tank to see if that would help but forget after about 10 minutes of taking a whif when someone flushes lol. I contacted them already (last night). It's about $105 USD. I am definitely doing this in the spring. It keeps my friends/guests from being like WTF.  Hahahah
    @jme097 - it isn't WTF, brother - they know that smell LOL it's the same at their place!!!!!
    LMAO. I found out that they only install them on the 310 and 360 EC's. Spoke with Al from the site. Real helpful. This is definitely one of the first things to get done this spring! Thanks for the ideas @Michael T 

@jme097, my pleasure, brother. - anytime I can help! BTW - Happy New Year! (That will drive DI nuts, he always thinks I jump the gun on the season's greetings LOL)
    LMAO
  • Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,552 mod

MT, Happy New Year to you too! LOL! 

JME, you can also build your own if you feel up to it. I've built close to a dozen of them over the years (makes the dock smell much better-so I'm told)

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

Dream - Care to elaborate? Would be up for something like that!
  • frenchshipfrenchship Member Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭
    Have a look at this that was posted in this forum a while ago.
    http://www.boatinghowto.com/content/building-holding-tank-filter-288/
    Basically what French attached.  If you do a search on here you will find it as well.  I use about 16" length of PVC and glue on screw type pieces on the end, so I can screw on end caps with brass npt type nipples (boy, this all could be taken wrong way, LOL).  I bought vent filters (from HD that can go into your vents directly) and cut them for the ends.  Then charcoal from fish store.  That's it in a nutshell anyhow.  The hose is 5/8" ID.  Very simple and then you can change out the charcoal twice with the half gallon containers (about$15 for ~3 years).

• Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What size PVC Dream? 2 inch?
    I believe I used 1.5 inch.  The other one stated 2 inch, so it probably holds the same amount when all said and done.

• RiverJunkieRiverJunkie Member Posts: 30
    hmm...so is this a real "stinking" issue if you do not add any filter?  I never had a problem with this on my Bayliner.  The vent on the outside of the hull seemed to work fine dispensing the odors.
    @RiverJunkie the degree of odor can depend on a lot of things, speed of flush of the toilet (pushing air into the holding tank), amount of waste in the tank, size of tank, what chemicals the owner places in the tank, frequency of pump-out etc. A bad smell isn't guaranteed just because there is a waste holding tank on the boat - but does seem to happen a majority of the time....and when it does :-(
  • redlightningredlightning Member Posts: 284 ✭✭✭
    Made huge difference on my boat.  No regrets.
    2011Sea Ray 450 Twin 8.2’s Bravo III Sterndrive
    2012 390 Sea Ray Twin 8.2’s Inboard - Sold
    2008 330 Express Cruiser - Sold
    Agreed! ....and the dock neighbours really like them too. We visit a lot of marinas. Nothing ruins a nice steak and some wine worse than a smell of cr*p drifting down the docks! Sorry for the visual!
  • Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The PO of my boat installed the Sealand SaniGard filter on my 280. So far it has worked great. I don't get any foul odors at the dock when the toilet is flushed. I am going to replace the charcoal this spring since I don't know when it was last changed or installed.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
    @Michael T any idea what the vent tubing is called? I am going to order a couple feet so when I go to do the install I have some. Also, what size? I am think 3/4? 
    edited February 2016
    @jme097, I'll look at my purchase orders to see if I can find some PNs. It is definitely a special waste hose product that stops methane gas and odors from permeating it. I think any decent marine supplier/dealer has that white reinforced hose with the blue line that circles it. I'll try to find the inside diameter - I think t you may be right at 3/4" .
    Thanks @Michael T  after doing some reading around, it appears it might be 5/8 inch. 

good catch @jme097. I hadn't found that info yet but it looked bigger in the pics LOL. The hose should be referred to as sanitation hose, good types are odor safe.

Shields makes a  good quality 5/8" hose called Series 148. There are super anti-permeable hoses available but the range is limited in the 5/8" size.

The Shields Series 148 is rated for sanitation use, anti-odor permeation and vacuum exposure. The vacuum exposure rating is very important as some kid at a pump-out who revs up the vacuum pump can collapse and burst cheaper hoses. I

If you don't have one I respectfully recommend a tank saver relief valve. About $25 and 5 minutes to install with a drill. You drill a hole, about 3" in diameter, in the top of your waste holding tank and pop the valve in. This valve will open if the vacuum is too aggressive.

The Big Orange filter has a special relief valve in it too, but I'm ocd when it comes to the waste tank! LOL

• Mike_GMike_G Member Posts: 258 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2016

Just to clarify... my 260 EC came with one from the factory.  On the Rinker page, all models (of cruisers at least) show the "Big Orange" being included as standard under the "Head" section of the "Standards" page for each boat.

-=Mike G

2014 Rinker 260EC

That's correct -  for - newer Rinkers.  Good to hear from you Mike! 
  • Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey Mike, where have you been?
  • Mike_GMike_G Member Posts: 258 ✭✭✭

Thanks guys!!!  It's good to be back!  I don't know what happened... I got lost in the ether I guess.  Didn't do much Interneting all summer, and didn't think about the boards until I started getting the boating itch.   I neglected my message boarding on other sites too...  Sorry guys.  :/  o:)

Hey Michael T...  good to see you back here again as well!

I am going to post an "I'm back" post... lol.  I typed a long response here, but I don't want to hi-jack this thread.  Have a question as well.  Thanks for the warm welcome guys!!  B:  -=Mike G.

2014 Rinker 260EC

• sdjavalinasdjavalina Member Posts: 32 ✭✭
    @Mike_G Welcome Back...! Lol. Nice Ride..
    Victor J

• JBam67JBam67 Member Posts: 109 ✭✭
    I just installed mine, literally took ten minutes once I had all the correct hoses and clamps. Real happy and I bet so will my neighbors. lol