Buffing and polishing

IanIan Member Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭✭
2003 FV 310. I am sure to get many opinions on this but I am seeking feedback on experiences of machine buffing compound and waxing/polishing goop brands etc that you have had success with or I should drop in the deep end. The surface is pretty good with areas of dullness but I want to be sure to use the right stuff to bring her up to the best again.

Thanks, Ian

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

Comments

• rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    wow, you will get more opinions than you'd want to hear! If you do a search, Tiki had some real good info posted. Everyone swears by what they use which tells me that it all works pretty well. I use 3M products for either heavy oxidation or light, polish and then wax.  Do the search and you will find lots of suggestions and techniques.  Get her shined up and let's see the pictures! 
  • TrashmanTrashman Member Posts: 432 ✭✭✭
    I used ARDEX products out of philly.
    Wet sanded by hand with 2000 grit (not as hard as it sounds),  machine compound/wool bonnet, machine polish/foam pad, then applied a uv/boat wax.  ARDEX is the mfg. their stuff is awesome!   Happy with the outcome but the real test with a colored hull is how long it will last.  This is my first go around and i have a black hull.  ...Rumor is its a losing battle,lol.  Good luck

• jmichelsjmichels Member Posts: 311 ✭✭
    I first wash it, then wipe down with prep all to remove any contaminents, then use 3m heavy oxidation compound with a wool pad, then hit it with presta shine compound, then finish off with coat of collinite wax to seal it and enhance. Works quite well. 
  • jme097jme097 Member Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2016
    This is a topic that everyone has personal preference on. I like using Meguirers because I find it easy to rub off after applying it. But if you have areas of oxidation, you can do the three step process of compound, polish and wax. Or if you have heavy oxidation you can wet sand the areas with very very very fine grit sandpaper. 
    Boat Name: Knot A Worry
    2007 280 Rinker Express 6.2L B3
  • 06Rinker27006Rinker270 Member Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2016
    Quite a few threads on here discussing this where you can get tons of good info.  But this is the link Ras was referring to posted by Tikihut a while back.  I followed it with great results

http://forums.sbo.sailboatowners.com/showthread.php?t=117266
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • Volkl1996Volkl1996 Member Posts: 72 ✭✭
    I always had good success with 3M products as well as Buff Magic. Porter Cable makes a nice orbital polisher, 7424 model.
  • viper3881viper3881 Member Posts: 16
    I love Shurhold products! Buff Magic and their polish. They also make some of the best brushes on the market. Some will like other brands more then others, but I have YET to find anyone that hates there product. They are a great company, and try to keep boat cleaning a simple process, and not over complicate things like other manufactures. 
  • pault1216pault1216 Member Posts: 206 ✭✭✭
    viper3881 said:
    I love Shurhold products! Buff Magic and their polish. They also make some of the best brushes on the market. Some will like other brands more then others, but I have YET to find anyone that hates there product. They are a great company, and try to keep boat cleaning a simple process, and not over complicate things like other manufactures. 

Ditto on Buff Magic with a Pro Polish follow up for light to moderate oxidation.  -Paul