Anyone for what has likely happened to our Bravo III?

Answers

• rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Back from vacation and getting this in motion- once it went down I parked and never really looked at anything. All of you have given good suggestions what to look at but another thing occurred to me and I need to bring it home to be 100%- went it went down and I moved the shifter from forward to reverse, I don't recall that the engine reved?  It definitely made the noise I described and it did go "out of gear" because I can turn the prop by hand- would this point to possibly some other event rather than the couplet? I'd say it was just a cable except for the horrible noise it made and I can think of anything in the shift that would have made the noise I heard...

• jhofmannjhofmann Member Posts: 430 ✭✭✭
    If you can see the shaft between the rear of the engine and the transom (maybe use a small mirror) have someone move the prop with the drive in gear. If the shaft does not turn, it would indicate an issue with the drive or ujoint. Also look for pieces of rubber by the shaft which would indicate a coupler failure. If the shaft turns (obviously the engine will not turn by hand) then it would indicate a coupler failure.
    I need to bring it home and look at it before I just turn a shop loose on it, that's for sure...thanks @jhofmann

Update- it was the coupler! I do find that a relief although I don't like pulling the motor...anyway, he has given me a price of $1800 bucks to do it, stated the coupler is a little over 800 so that's 800 labor to pull the motor...what do you think of the repair cost?
    I thought about that Black, but, isn't it supposed to fail???
    what about the price, sound in line?
  • Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ras, you only have 1 drive so spend the extra bucks to upgrade it now. You wont regret it. 
    thanks all for the input, as soon as I can sweep up a couple of boat bucks I will get the work done but have a lot on my plate right now but will consider this closed and will be back on the water as soon as I can. Unless I run into a bunch of other stuff. Only 200 hours on the boat so I don't expect any other issues....
    Ok- getting ready to get this done. Since the drive and motor will be out, what would I expect to have Te bellows changed on my 270?
  • Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How old are they?

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
    Well, I dint really know...its an 05 boat. I don't now if they have ever been changed..
  • Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's time to change the bellows then. 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI