Options

Enough of vacuming water in the bige

frenchshipfrenchship Member Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭
I had enough of vacuming the water in my bilge,so here what I did. I installed a small pump on the transom wall. 
The pictures would be self explaining. The pump is not spark proof so I used it after running the blowers and with engines hatch open. It remove the water to the last drop

Comments

• Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey Paul, that's pretty cool! I kept a mini shop vac to do that but it was a pita!
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,556 mod

About 2 years ago I took my raw water pump that was there to wash out the cockpit connected to a seacock and disconnected from the seacock, ran the hose to bottom of bilge by drain plug.  Now I just turn on the raw water pump and it draws everything out of the bilge. 

you have the same type of thing going French!  Very nice!

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    pault1216pault1216 Member Posts: 206 ✭✭✭
    I always wanted to do that on my boats with a wet bilge. Great job.  -Paul
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,538 mod
    That's very creative to drain it through the transom drain rather than adding a thru-hull.  
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dream, why not install a 1/2 inch ball valve in place of the plug and just open to drain? You would still need to put a plug in the valve. Easy since we are on lifts.
  • Options
    TrashmanTrashman Member Posts: 432 ✭✭✭
    Very nice.   The shop vac deal gets old after a while, lol. That's ideal if you get frequent water from rain and wash downs!
        I ordered a new shower drain box for the bathroom in my 270.   I kept the old one,which wasn't bad but old, with intentions of running my air conditioner drain tube into it.  From what I've experienced its the only water source in my bilge.  I'll post pics when I install in the fall.  
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Trashman...cool idea (pun intended)!
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,556 mod

Handy, I had started a topic about the whole drain plug thing.  I wouldn't want something I'd have to reach on the outside transom. 

http://rinkerboats.vanillaforums.com/discussion/2904/automatic-drain-plug#latest

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    MDboaterMDboater Member Posts: 298 ✭✭✭
    Trashman said:
    Very nice.   The shop vac deal gets old after a while, lol. That's ideal if you get frequent water from rain and wash downs!
        I ordered a new shower drain box for the bathroom in my 270.   I kept the old one,which wasn't bad but old, with intentions of running my air conditioner drain tube into it.  From what I've experienced its the only water source in my bilge.  I'll post pics when I install in the fall.  
    Great idea!  What do you plan to use for the outlet?
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Trashman said:
    What about running the drain thru a thru-hull? I was thinking about doing that since I have the same problem.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    NAUTIBUOYNAUTIBUOY Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    When I replaced my A/C 2 seasons ago I had them re-route my condensate hose to the center bilge where I too updated my shower sump box.  Works great and I didn't have to use two boxes.
  • Options
    J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry if I already asked.. where did you get that metal looking hose from? 
  • Options
     If your asking about the hose in my pictures, It comes from a old hand held shower head 
  • Options
    going to be attempting this tomorrow.. since the weather is going to be rain all day.. 

heading to lowes in the morning to pickup a drain screen, a shower hose, a check valve and all that tubing. Thank you for this awesome idea! 
  • Options
    You will love it
  • Options
    Well - the people at lowes were no help really.  I did end up with enough hose...

but:
    -no metal shower hose like you have, will prob have to just make that rubber hose
    -no dish strainer
    -no 90 degree elbows, but not sure they are needed on my boat, lots of room back there with the single engine.
    -no check valve, which I think is the most important thing they didn't have.

Guess it'll be time to go futz around on amazon in a bit! 
  • Options
    The actual metal shower hose is actually from a old hand shower the metal is actually chrome plastic wrap around a rubber hose The dish strainer in SS is from Dollar king . The 90 degree elbow was because I mounted my pump horizontal. The check valve is from a primer hand pump use on the priming bulb use on outboard gaz tank

• Options
    edited April 2020
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07B4SB5CW/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Just fyi anyone else wanting to do something like this, they are now making a kit that would basically do exactly this.. 

just need the check valve I guess! 
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great idea! I’m surprised I never saw this thread. Will have to see how wet my 330 bilge gets this season and make a decision to put one in or not. Would be nice to use it as an oil extractor in the fall also!
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    MojosBoatMojosBoat Member Posts: 96 ✭✭
    Great idea.
    ALL IN AGAIN, 410 FV Twin 8.1 H/O MPI, V-Drives ,