290 FV no forward or reverse

jcc2823jcc2823 Member Posts: 54 ✭✭
was out yesterday everything great after anchoring and swimming started both engines, put both in forward and was puttering along away from swimming area, then decided to get up on plane. Immediately high rpms on starboard engine but no movement. Idled back down and tried again, then in reverse- same result: plenty of engine rpm, but no movement of starboard engine. During this time while trying in forward or reverse and whirling sound. No grinding or high pitch whining, but like a loud (well loud enough to hear over engines) whirling. Had to come back to dock on port engine only. 

Inspected shift cables to engine- everything functioning visually. Of course boat is in water and I can't really see the ourselves even in up position due to swim platform.  

Thought maybe i threw a prop or the hub, but does a 2003 mercruiser 5.0 MPI bravos have hubs in the props. They are dual props and counter rotating. 

Didnt inspect behind engine inside where shaft comes out, but there was no biting rubber smell or anything like that. 

Any thoughts?

Comments

• zaverin1zaverin1 Member Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    It could be drive failure or coupler
    i had one drive blow on me mid cruise 
    and one spun hub on the prop.
    thats was an alpha drive 
    you probably have bravo3
  • reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes bravo3 no hub.The props are sold SS.like mentioned above outdrive failed or spun the coupler.
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    sure sounds like a coupler- mine went and did hear a noise initially but then it was gone...did not smell any rubber or anything.....it's metal where it "strips out" so don't know that you would smell anything...there were chucks of rubber in the bilge.....hopefully that is it as that repair is a lot cheaper than going into the out drive...good luck and let us know please.
  • jcc2823jcc2823 Member Posts: 54 ✭✭
    Thanks guys not what I was hoping to hear as assume the boat has to come out of the water... that should be fun. 
  • Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You'll have to pull the outdrive off and pull the engine to replace the coupler.  I bet you were out of engine/drive alignment, really the only way these things go unless you hit something.

If it is the coupler, Mercury makes a HD (Heavy Duty) replacement/upgrade, worth the few dollars considering all the work to get to it.

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
    Interesting since I just spent 7k having marine max go through and service the engines. 
  • StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    For 7k they could replace an engine.  

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

that's what I'm thinking! As a test in the water, I would think if you start the engine and put that engine in gear, get to the back of the motor and see if you can see the shaft from the out drive turning or not- you might have to spray it with something or mark it to see if it is turning or not- if it is not turning than I'd say likely it's the coupler- if it is turning and nothing is happening, it's further down the line being a problem. I tried this with mine out of water turning the prop by hand but could not see that it was turning.......but that is what it was thankfully. It was like 1300 bucks to pull the motor and replace...AND make sure they align the motor!
  • Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What in the world did they do for $7k?  

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • wm61356wm61356 Member Posts: 201 ✭✭✭

If you decide to check as rasbury suggests, please be careful when in the engine compartment while engines are running. The drive does not have to be in gear. If the coupler is good the input shaft to the drive should rotate all the time if the engine is running.>

certainly if you pull it, you can turn the props by hand and watch inside.....I'm not sure what the ratio is but when my wife turned the prop several times I could not see the shaft move....or it was moving and I could not tell...
    Well, you guys were right. Went back down to boat today. Had to practically lay on top of the engine to see the drive shaft, but think it's definitely the coupler because I can see the engine ?housing? rotating, but the shaft to the outdrive is just sitting still. Observed the port engine and the drive shaft spins even in neutral as one of you explained. 

So so that means boat has to come out of the water. What fun!  Lol. 

Question: I've read some say you have to pull engine; others say you have to pull outdrive. I think some one said both. Which is it? Engine, outdrive, or please don't say both. I'd think it could be replaced just by pulling outdrive off?

thanks for everyone's advice. 
    Black diamond I ask myself that every day. ;-). They did something called the B service which I guess is a lot- it cost $1000 an engine. Then the air something on one engine had to be replaced, the distributor body on the other engine was cracked so they replaced that, and the power steering had to have several parts replaced. There were several parts they said only come from mercruiser and they were about a grand per part...

not a happy day I guarantee you. 
  • randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
     outdrive comes off then engine comes out, sorry, where do you boat at?
    Boat Name : 

Why do both come out?
  • pault1216pault1216 Member Posts: 206 ✭✭✭
    The shaft is inserted to the coupler and therefore has to be removed prior to removing the coupler. If it were me, I would also have the gimbal housing/transom assembly inspected for wear as this would be the time to replace (also big $$$). I had a similar issue with my 270/B3. Good luck!  -Paul
    here is a picture of it, you Image result for mercruiser 57 couplercan see the drive shaft from the outdrive goes through it.

Boat Name : 

• Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have heard of some mechanics removing the drive, then sliding the engine forward to access the rear of the engine. That all depends on if there is enough room in the engine room and if the mechanic is small enough to get back there and do the work.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
    Thanks guys. I guess in my mind I was thinking when u take off the outdrive there's a hole in the back of the boat. I guess I was thinking why can't they just do everything through that hole...
    Ye can't do anything from ththe outside besides beaRing and bellows.
    coupler needs engine shift or lift to get to it 
    Pulling the out drive and re installing is like an hour labor? That's not the big deal for sure...and whether you slide the motor forward or hand it in the air, don't see much difference in labor there....would think you'd still have to unhook everything to move the drive forward or should so stuff is not pulled and damaged...Mine was 1300 bucks on my 270 and the part was more than half so I thought a pretty reasonable repair in the boating world. Plus, gives them a chance to inspect the gimbal bearing, the bellows, u joints etc....mine boat has about 200 hours on it and I suspect that engine alignment is the culprit but who knows, PO may have hit something in the water or run around although I see no evidence of that.
    Ye engine elignment should be checked with every drive service 
    never did a service except to change the fluid.....novice strike one. I had read it should be done.....
    Boat at repair shop. Needs both couplers replaced. Getting the heavy duty ines this time and they are going over everything with a fine toothed comb. 
    two couplers went at the same time?
  • Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    rasbury said:
    two couplers went at the same time?
    I believe that one was bad for sure. The other might be getting done to be safe. I would do the same thing.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
    I thought about the only reason a coupler will go is when either something gets wrapped around the prop or prop hits something...that is some pretty expensive preventive maintenance unless I'm off base... 
    With twins I would replace two
    who knows if twins alignment was good or bad or wore wore out.
    next year same thing to other